Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pinpointing with Explorer II driving me crazy

dbsmokey

Granted, I have only used this Explorer for a matter of 3 weeks, but it is very frustrating so far. I have found nothing but clad (no silver yet). I am using the stock coil and wonder if I should consider getting an aftermarket. I can pinpoint when only one target is under the coil, but have ended up digging numerous holes, only to find nothing (I am assuming because of multiple targets).

HELP!

I use the Sunray X-12 which in my opinion separates great. As far as pinpointing the best advise I can give is to make sure you are off the target put it into pinpoint sweep till the sound is the loudest then turn 90 then sweep again and dig where the sound crosses. Hope this helps.

Here's something to try. When you get to a target you like, first do a general pinpoint using the coil to get the target centered by going East-West and North-South. Then raise the coil up about a foot until the threshold returns, then go into pinpoint mode and slowly lower it back down over the target to refine the pinpoint. This can help avoid other nearby targets from 'pulling' the pinpoint away. It does take some practice though.

These guys are right on the money with their advice. Always have the coil off the ground when going into pinpoint mode. Also if you still manage to get "sucked" off the good signal, dig up whatever is causing the issue ad try again. A hand held pinpointer is a great tool to have also.

Thanks for the tips. I will try those tomorrow AM on my morning hunt. I am finding a TON of can slaw. Do you guys discriminate it out with advanced edit? If I do, will I lose gold?

I definately agree with getting a pinpointer. I use a Garrett Pro and my recoveries have almost doubled. A lot less time fishing around for that elusive signal. Also make sure you are not passing up those light chirps which is often indicative of a deep old silver. Pay attention to your depth indicator to get a good idea how deep the target. I found a .26 oz 14K gold wedding band UNDER a pulltab with my Explorer II. You have a great machine just allow the time to "tune" in to it and it will tell you the whole story. :)

Harold

I have a explorer II also. It does take awhile to get used to. I agree with the others in how to pinpoint,but im adding one more thing. I have noticed with mine if you go to hit pinpoint and your right over the target it sounds like it makes targets all around the coil. If you hold the coil away from the spot you hear the target then hit pinpoint then it centers it again and you hear one target again.

hold coil away from target that you want to pinpoint then
hit pinpoint and youll get one target.(usually)
hit pinpoint here. Then sweep over.----------> target

Thanks again. I have found my depth indicator is NOT accurate. I will pinpoint an object that reads 7-8" and it will be only 2-3 inches deep. it is probably all user error. I have to get in a lot of practice...oh well..that means more detecting for me! :clapping:

Normally i can wiggle my coil until i get it toward the tip.... as it just disappears its right there on the tip. Thats another reason they tell you to move around the target as you pinpoint. I dont use pinpoint too much unless there is just a LOT of trash and i cant get it on the tip. A lot of times when you are having trouble centering the target or pinpointing its iron giving you the problem.

Dew

Pinpointing can be tricky with the Explorer (or most MineLabs). Crossing the target North-South & East-West like the others have mentioned is a good way to narrow your target's location. An in-line probe, like a Sun-Ray, will save you a lot of time and energy. When I'm over a shallow quarter, I use the probe to pinpoint it and I will only have to dig a little hole. It also saves a ton of time when the target is deep and may be off to the side of a hole. I agree that the depth meter can be off at times and found this especially true with clad dimes which always are shallower than expected. Early on I would overshoot the target and it was actually closer to me than I originally thought. I compensate for this now by starting the edge of the hole two to three inches closer to me. The important thing is to GO SLOW and dig only the deep targets when you are in a trashy area. I don't dig can slaw sounds unless I am in a relic area where I dig everything. I doubt I am missing out on much in terms of gold (which usually come in the nickel-pull tab range). After six+ years with my Minelab I still will dig deep iron occasionally, only because it sometimes gives an iffy signal. There is a long learning curve with this machine so stick with it and the goodies will come. HH.

Get a piece of cardboard and start with a half and work down to a dime..Put coin under cardboard and use a a knife to see if you hit the target...raise the loop to simulate depth...Try it in disc. and once you do well in disc. try it in pinpoint...In any case takes practice and sometimes learning to pinpoint in disc. shortens your learning curve in pinpoint mode. In any case worth a try and no holes to dig. Use the conventional wiggle till target goes away from the tip and then do the same at 90 degrees and where they intersect should be right on..Sometimes in pinpoint mode in real junky areas multiple targets under the coil really can frustrate you as your pinpoint goes to the junk instead of the coin..
Above all learn to pinpoint with the conventional coil as you have to crawl before you walk and not vice-versa...
Second choice is a sandy beach where digging is easy and holes are easily filled and dig all....

Yes be sure you only turn pinpoint on when the coil is not over the target, the pintpoint hum is at its loudest when the target is directly under the center of the coil and depth does not work in p.p.

Thanks everybody for the tips. I will give them a go tomorrow morning. I have a Automax pinpointer I have been using. Does a sunray have more depth than the 1" that the Automax gives me? I will try to turn on pinpoint in the air. Unfortunately, I am afraid NOT to dig because I haven't learned what can slaw sounds like for sure yet. I fear I will pass up gold. Someday I will learn.
Thanks again.

n/t

DB,
You got lots of good advise from the guys. No one mentioned the way I pinpoint (without turning 90 deg.). When I get a target, I:
1. note where I think it is in the ground
2. move the coil 6-10 inches to the right, then press pinpoint
3. I slowly bring the coil back to where I got the signal, moving slowly left-right-left-right smaller sweeps until I have the loudest spot
4. stop on the loudest spot
5. pull the coil back until the sound stops, keeping it aligned right-to-left, push the coil back onto the target just enough to get a strong signal
6. Important: the target is not in the center of the coil; it is half way between the center and the tip of the coil.
This is much easier to show than explain. It works great for me.

If it is real junky you may have to lift the coil a foot, then hit pinpoint and quickly come down to where you got the signal. If you hit pinpoint over a signal it will sort of go into "reverse" where everywhere except the target gives a signal. You will quickly learn this.

The Sun Ray Probe will get a coin at double or triple the depth of regular hand-helds. Up to around 3". It is the best. Plus you hear it right through your headphones. You can use disc. or pinpoint mode.

Hope this helps and HH - BF

I usually get about 3 inches with my X-1 probe, a bit more when I'm using all metal. .I wouldn't want to try and hunt without one now that I've gotten used to it.
. .
Mark

Try this tip from my friend Andy Sabisch's book: tape a dime to one side of a piece of cardboard. Then turn the cardboard over (hiding the dime). Go somewhere where there are no targets (outside is best) and practice sweeping the coil over the cardboard. When you think you have the dime pinpointed take a pin or needle and pierce the cardboard. Hopefully after a few tries you will hit the coin every time.

I think you will find that after practice you will like the pinpointing of the EX II. Just narrow your sweep and back the coil off of either the front or back until the signal drops off. The coin should be just in front of the coil edge.

Bill in S. CA

I tried these tips this AM and am improving. I found nearly 20 clad dimes in about a 3 square foot area. Somebody threw a handful of them at one point. I still have no silver or anything of value, but at least I am making some pinpointing headway. Thanks!

What I have found is that when I try to pinpoint in an area with multiple targets more often than not I end up leaving not just a big hole but I have several plugs that do not fit back as well and leave more visible damage than a single large plug would. The method I use I only need to make sure I miss the target when I am digging. You can take a large plug or a large flap of grass leaving the roots intact in the flap or plug. Then use the pinpointer to locate the target. By taking a large plug or cutting a large flap of grass and folding it over I reduce the chance that I will destroy or damage the living grass if my pinpointing leads me away from the original spot I began the hole. The idea in my opinion it to leave the ground in a condition that will best allow it to return to its original appearance sooner than later and digging bigger plugs or flaps does just that. When you do a large plug or flap and are careful to keep the dirt the roots are in intact the hole you had dug will not be noticeable to the naked eye once it has been rained on. On the other hand if you are digging clad near the surface you can use a hand held pinpointer instead of the one on the Explorer once you know it is somewhere under your coil.

Hey mokey,
I used the Ex II for years and know exactly what you are talking about. Lots of good advice in this thread but I have to say that Dewcon's post is dead on for me. I grew up on the rachet pinpoint of the Whites machines and after I switched to the Dark side I loved the Minelabs but had a very hard time with the pinpoint. Over time I got pretty good at pinpointing with the tip of the coil but still missed the ratchet of the Whites I used years ago. As for the depth...No one can tell me that the Ex II will acuratly tell you the depth of a target. My experiance was that I always dug deeper so I would not scratch. Dont get me wrong I loved my Ex II and did fantastic with it. I just learned how to deal with that machine the way I needed to. Once I tried the E trac though that was it ... Very accurate depth and pinpoint. In fact I love that I know how deep an object is before I decide to dig it. That way In some spots I choose to ONLY DIG the targets 6 inches or deeper. Yes , it works great for me. I loved the EX II but my favorite Minlab of all time is my E trac. Now if I could just get more time to use it.

good luck
utahshovelhead