Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

pinponter or x1 probe????

JOHNMARKHAM

well i jumped off the fence and ordered an Etrac,i own a Garrett Pin Pointer Pro, would i still need the x-1 prob for the Etrac? im thinking not but thought id get info pro and con??what would i gain?
thanks for the info
hh
john

I have tried both and now use only the pinpointer. One advantage of the X1 is that it will read the same as your detector and won't sound off on a metal that is discriminated out of whatever program you are using.
The disadvantage is it adds weight. I thought it was "Clunky" to carry around, also slower to use. You need to flip a switch, and unhook it to use it.
The propointer is faster to use, and it can take much more abuse than the X1. I do a lot of digging with my propointer that the X1 couldn't hold up under.

I would not dig with any probe because it is not there intended use. The x1 is not for everyone, but I love it for the simple fact that it gives me the same tones as coil, and its pretty hard to lose it. Quicker.....well not sure if a pinpointer is quicker than the x1. I cant see why one would be. Again it is user preference, but I would not live without my x1. JMHO

John if you already have a pro-pointer you don't really need a X-1 but I have both and there is no comparison the X-1 is deeper and after using both the Sun-Ray works much better for me. HH :minelab:

I agree with hershey, if you already have the pro-pointer, it is probably not worth spending the extra money for an X-1. But I love my X-1 and would not be without it! If I was advising one over the other, my money would be on the X-1. Just my opinion!

HH,

Bruce

I had the Pro pointer and got a X-1 give the PP to my old lady to use, after I got the X-1 I sold it and went back to the Garrett PP. Lot of people say they would not hunt w/o it, but everyone has their own likes and dislikes. The X-1 is fine but I liked the way the PP is separate from the detector, plus if I use one of my other detectors I'm not stuck w/o a PP.

HH

If you hunt at night in totally darkness or in totally iron fields you need X-1. in iron when you have signal form some target and you start to dig you can loose it and only x1 helps to found between iron easy. Garreett pro pointer is good or even better, lighter and cheaper, and no any connection between coil and detector that tend to brake. my suggestion if you dont hunt at darkness without lighting you dont need X1 use your garrett. good luck

I too am in this dilemma. I was just out today and my detector said there was something in the hole but my propointer wasn't picking it up. Very frustrating. Then i found a nail.. the detector said there was still a coin signal... propointer wasn't picking it up. I hate when you have a plug out and there are two targets and you don't know which to go for.

my suggestion if you hunt very iffy signals dig one big shovel plug and after investigate, taking earth off this big plug, but this is extreme and i dont think that you can do like this in US parks.

Hey John - I too have both but absolutely love the X-1 - although the pro pointer is a great backup to have...
It's great to know that you have pinpointed the correct object when more than one target is in the hole.
I believe it is so much faster to just pop the X-1 pointer off your shaft, flick the switch and you're good to go versus taking the pro pointer out of it's sheaf, turning it on then turning it off then putting it back in the sheaf OR forgetting to put it back in and leaving it on the ground. Plus worrying about batteries, etc.
The only thing to get used to on the X-1 is making sure you flick the switch back - it becomes secind nature after awhile...

I use the X-1 and love it. One thing I do with mine that hasn't been brought it is that I change my sensitivity lower if i'm pinpointing a hole that seems like the coin is everywhere..And, I turn it up if I dig a hole and can't find the target with my X-1. Works very nice and fast with just a push of the side arrow button to toggle from Auto sens to Manual sens. Just a thing I do that seems to work really good for me. When I pulled a Ben half dollar out of a hole, the whole hole sounded like the target. I turn the sens way way down and found the half dollar in one corner of my hole. Good Hunting