Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Plat Map Tutorial:

LabradorBob

Staff member
1: Ok, Lets say you have an old plat map that shows an old School.
actually this is a quadrangle map,thats why it shows the houses and schools,churches,etc.
Could be anything,But i am using a school for this example.[attachment 148798 Schoolloc.jpg]
The school is located in Township 26N,Range 33W, Section 13.
It was called BlackJack school.

2:This is the BLM Township,Range and Section Viewer for Google Earth.
You can download from my Township,Range and Section Post.Now here http://www.earthpoint.us/Townships.aspx at the site,click view on google earth,and then double click the file that downloads.
Once downloaded,it will be in your places category in Google Earth.
You can turn it off by unchecking the little box.
[attachment 148799 Showingdots..jpg]

If you rest your pointer on the orange dots,it will show the township and range,and will highlight the whole township.
If you rest your pointer on the Purple dots,it will show you the section number.

3:Simply,overlay the map capture,on the appropriate section. My capture was one section,which is a square mile!

also,the Township range and section viewer will let you scroll in or out five times. They want you to pay for it,but i just delete it if it quits and download it again.
also,if you download it eight times, you need to go into where it is downloading and delete the older ones.
if it quits working. Delete it in your places section in google earth.
Then simply download it again!

LB..... does google earth give you GPS, sure would be as simple for me to find. I have one of those air cards and google hates me i think.

Dew

dewcon4414 said:
LB..... does google earth give you GPS, sure would be as simple for me to find. I have one of those air cards and google hates me i think.

Dew

Just make sure you are using the correct system coordinates: DD MM SS, or Decimal Degrees,

You can change co ordinate systems by going to tools,options in google earth.

Harold

Why are you using Township, Section, and Range? Why not UTM all the way? Jim

I just use township,Range, and section to overlay the maps,I have
co ordinates set to display utm at the bottom on Google earth.
I like UTM better on my GPS,I feel its more accurate.
LabradorBob

I use and leave the UTM lines on my topos when I export them to GE for an overlay. It gives me a more accurate way to place the overlay. I use street intersections in addition to the width of the streets. That usually happens when working a Sanborn map into GE. I haven't found reference to any system of location on the Sanborns. Maybe they started at the Mill and everything is relative and in scale to that but I am not aware of a specific location like the rock in Oregon that Township and Range is measured from. Help me out here if I am missing something....Jim

if your talking about using maps for overlays,you can use any map.
but old maps work the best.

LabradorBob

pdsniper said:
LB, this is probably the most useful forum I have ever experienced. Thanks

Thanks for the compliment!

LabradorBob

Here is a link to his Township, Range and Section Post: http://www.findmall.com/read.php?69,1118124

Thanks for all of your very helpful and informative posts! ;)

HH, Mark :minelab:

This is a GREAT place for information that I've been wondering about for years, and Lab-Bob is a Brainiac for sure. I have some buildings, long gone, in existing cities, that I would love to find the exact sites they were originally built on.
Where might I find the old maps to start my searching?

Loving this new approach-(for me that is.. :eek:)

Arlen

This would be a good place to start,search through the pages here and see what is
available,sent you a PM also.

LabradorBob

LabradorBob said:
3:Simply,overlay the map capture,on the appropriate section.

LabradorBob, I did all the steps you've outline and was successful with all of them...however, I see absolutely no similarities (landmarks, etc) between my overlayed and google earth? I've double and triple checked the section numbers on the topo map and verified I was overlaying them on the proper section numbers identified in Google Earth. Any suggestions?

Thanks you!

..and by the way, this a very good post!

How old is your overlay?
Remember Township is the first to look for.
it will be the orange dots if using the township range section viewer i posted.
It will tell you the northing and westing coordinates,or in kansas southing and easting.
You need the Township first range second,section third!
Each township is usually 36 square miles,Range is west or south inMissouri and Kansas.
Section is 1 through 36 for the square miles in the township.