Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Please help me decide

LongHairedGuy

Howdy. I got into this hobby 10 or so years ago and purchased a Whites DFX. Read most of the books and tried to learn the thing but was still a steep learning curve and I didnt find it to be very user friendly, especially for a complete novice. Used it a handfull of times mostly with the same result, toss it aside due to frustration and the feeling that I just didnt have it set right or something and got tired of messing with it.

Its time to try again with something new/different and looking for opinions or advice on a new detector. Looking at the MXT All Pro, it looks to be a much simpler machine vs. the DFX, and the 4x6 shooter and bigfoot coils I have will work on it. Also interested in the Equinox 800 and the Anfibio Multi. Will be mostly coin and jewelry hunting and may occasionally go to the beach with it. Any advice, opinions or a point in the right direction is much appreciated.

The technology of the Nox800 and Anfibio Multi are going to be considered, ether one would be an excellent choice. The two other detectors you mentioned are old technology and will find coins , but the newer , lighter, more advanced technology will serve you better. Dig that Beep has great prices on Nox 800 s right now . HH Tony

I own aand have used my DFX for about 17 years and have all the coils and 1000s of hours on the clock,but i have not used it as my everyday machine for some years as its been surpassed by lighter and much easier detectors and also offers greater depth as well.I wont part with my DFX but its just used occasionally with the Hotshot coil on.

The MXT is also getting very long in the tooth these days as well,technology has moved along in leaps and bounds and finally treated my self too a Nox,waited for the 12 month mandatory time duration that i give any detector just to see what flaws that can appear and nothing major appeared so purchased one,must admit it is possibly the easiest machine apart from my T2 that can be setup in seconds rather than some high end machines.I also own 2 Deus machines and many other for various site specific uses,but the Nox has taken the everyday use crown from the Deus,really pleased i bought the detector.My personal opinion is why pay for just a single freq machine when you can also buy a multi freq detector for the same basic price,that was the deal sealer for me with the Nox either all the freq together or individual.

Best of luck to you in reaching your decision on a detector. You will get a lot of different opinions on all types of detectors as I'm sure you are already aware. I use a Whites MXT Pro and really like this detector. It is easy to set up and does well in our heavily mineralized Georgia soil. S it older technology? Yes. Has it been around for a while? Yes. Now simply ask yourself why. Because they are a great all around detector. I have personally never been one of those that just have to be the first on my block to have the newest flagship of detectors. I'm not knocking any brand or model here, just giving my opinion which doesn't account for much. I recently just bought a nice used Minelab Safari which is an older model too, but really like it though I haven't had the opportunity to put much time on it. I should have added that I am mostly a relic hunter and both the MXT Pro and the Safari read deep. To me it all goes down to having a detector that you feel confident with while out on the woods, park, beach, etc. Once you've narrowed down your list that you think you would be most interested in, watch Utube videos. A very helpful research tool. Again, Good luck and I hope this has been of some help to you.

You could also look at the Makro Racer 2. It is a very good machine, uses only 4AA batteries and weighs 3 lbs. Very fast unit and a nice large screen. MAP price is 424.00. You could call a dealer and get it for under 400.00. That is what I did. Good luck!!

I use a Mx7, but many of us hunt differently for different targets and want different features than others. I like to hunt for dryland jewel and coins in a urban environment, so what is important to me isn't to someone else. For example, a detector that doesn't have a on the fly sensitivity control is out. I hunt in way to many iron structures to have to go through a menu for every sensitivity change needed. Another is erratic performance in emi presence. There are many others from coil selection to disc, depth, wt. and so on. Make your own priority list in order and go from there. jmo Cal

Here's a plug (no pun intended) for the MXT you suggested. Yes, the new Equinox and others have newer technology, but all that technology doesn't really result in much more actual performance. The MXT is simple, easy, and has 90% of the performance of any of the new detectors mentioned and with only 20% of the complexity. Lots of people here will try to push their favorite detector on you, but what works for them may not necessarily work for you. The MXT is far more durable and tough than the Equinox, too. Not only will that mean more durable for you, but also means there are many on the used market that have not been beat up and are less likely to have problems. You can regularly find good used MXT's in the $300-350 range, and add about $100 for a good used MXT Pro with the tones (not really necessary imho). The MXT has on-the-fly sensitivity and disc adjustment, and is very resistant to EMI.

I say go with a good used MXT that has been taken care of. The MXT holds it's own against the newer detectors, is far simpler and easier to operate, built like a tank, *and* you can use your old coils from your DFX. I have owned the Equinox and the other detectors, so I speak from experience, admittedly my own experience, but you won't be missing much if anything with the MXT.

I have owned an MXT, Matrix M6 and still own the MX5. Personally, I like the tones on the MX5 best and I like its good balance. The MXT and M6 felt much heavier. I preferred the manual adjustments on the MXT. I love my MX5 but it only gets used once a week at most. My Nox 600 gets used almost everyday for at least 3 hours. It is that good. It is very feature rich and works well in all soil conditions due to its simultaneous multi frequencies. It has super fast recovery speed and separates targets better than any detector I have used (better than the very good MX5) and as good as the XP ORX which I own. It is not too hard to learn (I didn't say it was easy however!) and after about 40 hours of patient use I knew enough to trust it. Now after 18 months of steady use it has held up very well with no problems so I would rate its durability so far as excellent. Soaked it several times in rain, snow and stream beds. I have got my MX5 really wet a few times too but it can handle it with its weatherproof plastic housing. Can't do that with the MXT.

Both the MXT All Pro and the Nox 600/800 are outstanding detectors so you can't go wrong either way.

This is good advice, especially if you are 'budget challenged', such as I.

The first and only new machine I bought was an MXT Tracker about 10 or more years ago. Since then there have been 3 Classic ID's, 2 XL Pro's, Makro Racer 2, and a Multi Kruzer. There was a Tesoro Inca and a Bounty Hunter in there as well. All used, bought from members and dealers on this forum. I have had ZERO problems out of any of them, other than not being able to keep them all!

The Makro's are nice machines to me. One thing, if you rely on VID, they are not so much geared to US coins only. Too much gain will also skew the numbers up. Practice time has helped me not dig too much can slaw, although some is inevitable.

A buddy has a Nox 800. It is a beautiful machine, one I would like to own. I may have one some day, when used ones start to show up enough to work the price down.

The money difference between new and used should go to coil selections. That can make any machine more versatile.

I would stay away from the Big E, and use the classified forums right here for detectors and accessories.

Wayfarer has it spot on........newer technology doesn't equal more finds like most seem to believe.The MXT is still relevant today and will find just as much as the latest high tech wonder.Also,multi frequency machines do not give any advantages over single frequency machines in most situations.....salt water sand searching being the exception.
Yes,the latest machines are great performers also but don't write off older machines just because they haven't got a wireless control box.....such technology doesn't put finds in your pouch.

Thanks again for all the good advice. Got a decent price for the DFX and coils, and after much reading and studying, decided to try the Equinox 800. Its on the way....just waiting on the brown truck.

Nauti Neil said:
Wayfarer has it spot on........newer technology doesn't equal more finds like most seem to believe.The MXT is still relevant today and will find just as much as the latest high tech wonder.Also,multi frequency machines do not give any advantages over single frequency machines in most situations.....salt water sand searching being the exception.
Yes,the latest machines are great performers also but don't write off older machines just because they haven't got a wireless control box.....such technology doesn't put finds in your pouch.

hit the nail

LongHairedGuy said:
Thanks again for all the good advice. Got a decent price for the DFX and coils, and after much reading and studying, decided to try the Equinox 800. Its on the way....just waiting on the brown truck.
Great choice its my go to detector.

I am not sure where you live, but sometimes what works for others may not work for you. Do you know if there is any metal detecting clubs around where you live. You might want to go check out what others in your area are using. What they might have on a table selling for a fraction of what they bought it for only months ago. Just an idea.

Hey there LongHairedGuy,

The MXT Pro / All Pro is a really good detector and is still holding solid on the used market in the $375-425 neighborhood in really good condition. I think White's price when buying NEW has fallen behind the times as manufacturers are providing more bang for less money. (I think it is overpriced)

As mentioned above by others, the MXT is an excellent performer, built rock solid and is relatively simple to operate. And it finds stuff. It is an excellent choice for somebody wanting to get back into the hobby. I kept mine around as a loaner. OregonGregg wanted my All-Pro, so I recently parted with it as a favor to a friend.

I too have an EQ800 and have had it for nearly 2 years. I give my EQ800 MORE credit for excellent performance than some have above.

From my shoes, I think you made a great decision going with the 800. However, it all comes back to you spending the time to learn the detector, its' settings and capabilities and learning with it in the field as you hunt.

Best of luck.

Rich -

The Equinox will be a very nice change from the DFX.
I never could get any depth out of those detectors (DFX).