Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pro find 35

REP

Hello all, new to the forum and this is my first post. Not too technical, I just rigged up with a new Nox 800 and along with it treated myself to a new pro find 35 pin pointer. I like all the features and of course the quality that the name mine lab represents. But frankly not ever having the opportunity to see another example of it other than the one I own I would like to know if the LED in my pin pointer is defective.

I like a lot of techy outdoor buddies of mine I appreciate a nice LED flashlight so we have become some what spooled bytthe more up-to-date offerings which are beyond compare to the LED flashlights of only three or four years ago.

With this considered and with the reputation of minelab being state of the art or cutting edge in their offerings. I couldn’t help but wonder after seeing the dim light of the LED in my pin pointer if it might be defective.

Should say I’m not going to judge it by the light alone, but if this is the norm for them I can’t help but feel it will be one of those situations where one might say, so close but yet so far away from being on it could have been.

Without actually seeing it, it's impossible to say for sure...but....

Most pinpointer LEDs cannot hold a candle (excuse the pun) to an actual LED flashlight.
(This is basically true of all brands, not just Minelab.)

I suspect they have to balance LED current draw with pinpointer run time...and of course we don't want the pinpointer dying in the middle of a hunt.
Still, they are a heck of a lot better than no light at all, especially when using it down in the hole.

Good luck with your new 800. It's a fine machine, and will serve you well.

trojdor said:
Without actually seeing it, it's impossible to say for sure...but....

Most pinpointer LEDs cannot hold a candle (excuse the pun) to an actual LED flashlight.
(This is basically true of all brands, not just Minelab.)

I suspect they have to balance LED current draw with pinpointer run time...and of course we don't want the pinpointer dying in the middle of a hunt.
Still, they are a heck of a lot better than no light at all, especially when using it down in the hole.

Good luck with your new 800. It's a fine machine, and will serve you well.

Thanks, I actually thought of that myself as well. You would think that maybe you would have a switch to turn the light off as needed. But then to in the world of engineer in such a small marvel of our hobby we really and truly do not know what all they have to go through to get where they’re at already, right LOL

Not trying to be overly critical I’m really enjoying my new equipment but when you’re someone that tinkers with things as most of us guys to do this probably are you can’t help but wonder why they wouldn’t of added the feature of maybe multi levels of lighting or an on off switch for the light it’s self. I know I’d rather carry an extra battery and have a good example of every trait of a tools capability then to continuously have to explain to my buddies that the light it has is better than no light at all.

But I think mine may be defective I mean this thing will not even shinie in a dark closet enough to see the door knob. And ive to only had it a day or two and have not even read the instruction manual, I’m a guy we’re not supposed to read instructions right. LOL

Rep, I'd call ML and discuss it with them. They can give you an RMA to send it in. They replaced my PF35 recently and a week turn around. I give Kudos to ML service

Wow thanks for the great concern! I have a bud that just bought one as well so I plain to get with him and see if his is any brighter. If it turns out it is defective I will do just that. I will say if it is by design, I guess it will just be one of those things you scratch your head over.

Thank you!

Well looks like I am scratching my head. My buds new Pro find 35 has the same brightness as mine. Maybe we will see this addressed in new upcoming offerings from Minelab. I'm not overly concerned about a light in a such a great pinpointer that does so many other things well.

I know many might roll there eyes at such an observation. Don't get me wrong I'm not beating up on Minelab, they are by far my favorite company when it comes to Metal Detecting devices. Simply put, you are sometimes just left to wonder why such a small detail that could complete a product to near perfection is overlooked or purposely left out when the technology is now dated that could have been the icing on the cake.

Remember that every switch on a pin pointer is a possible place for it to leak. Leaks tend to destroy electronics. I have never had a problem with the not so bright light on a pin pointer. I rarely hunt at night and when I do I wear a headlamp.

GeorgeinSC said:
Remember that every switch on a pin pointer is a possible place for it to leak. Leaks tend to destroy electronics. I have never had a problem with the not so bright light on a pin pointer. I rarely hunt at night and when I do I wear a headlamp.

I think your missing my point while agreeing with it at the same time. It’s on me for sure though as I often have trouble making myself understood, just ask my wife. Lol. That aside, that is my point,

First thing that comes to mind is why not a brighter usable LED, when technology now affords us much brighter low draw diodes than just a few years ago. In other words, why not a super efficient offering that has a usable output in place of less efficient offering that draws near or the same milliamps?

Secondly, in agreement with your point. Why add to the possibility of the failure of your pin pointer etc. due to water, dirt etc. infiltration by adding a vertically unusable feature.

To the point, if you’re going to poke holes in the body of the pinpointer to stick a llight in it, why not stick a light that’s usable?

I feel certain that this isn’t a simple oversight on Minelabs behalf, there probably is engineering considerations, but it does bring the question on the surface.

Thanks for your comment, look forward to interacting in the future.

I should add, please forgive typos etc. in my post. I use my iPhone for this while I am away from my home along with talk to text. There’s no telling what you’ll read coming from me. LOL

Not trying to hijack your thread I thought about buying a pro find but after reading this i won’t.
I’m seriously happy with my Deus lights great and it’s rechargeable!
I use it with my Nox all the time and I hunt at night a lot !
I get 90+ hours on a charge never has it died on me in the field because of a dead battery!
I think if I get a backup may be a MI-4...

Mkus said:
Not trying to hijack your thread I thought about buying a pro find but after reading this i won’t.
I’m seriously happy with my Deus lights great and it’s rechargeable!
I use it with my Nox all the time and I hunt at night a lot !
I get 90+ hours on a charge never has it died on me in the field because of a dead battery!
I think if I get a backup may be a MI-4...

Thanks for the input. Glad to have been able to provide you with usable information. I really like my pro find and you have a great point as to one along side the other in the features they offer. Again you’re helping make my point. Why go to the trouble with out making the count right.

Good luck in the field.

REP,
Thanks for providing your feedback on the Pro-35. I was planning on ordering this Pin Pointer until I read your comments and also watched youtube videos identifying the same issue. Hard to believe Minelab decided to include that very dim light on such an otherwise great Pin Pointer. I will research to determine another Pin Pointer to purchase.
Mike

flbeachhunter said:
REP,
Thanks for providing your feedback on the Pro-35. I was planning on ordering this Pin Pointer until I read your comments and also watched youtube videos identifying the same issue. Hard to believe Minelab decided to include that very dim light on such an otherwise great Pin Pointer. I will research to determine another Pin Pointer to purchase.
Mike

No worries friend glad to help. Now just waiting on one of these techies to offer a mod that will make the 35 all it can be. Of should I say should have been. Lol Right!

REP,

You're right, it's quarter to half bright compared to their first Profind 25. That's the way it is. All the same.
I got one for testing back ion September 17 and that was a major 'faux-faux' error: it should never have Passed merit: evident no one questioned it.
ALL the R & D went into the 'IRON TONE' feature which 'works' some of the time and usually after you've dug out the nail!

Des D

Des D said:
REP,

You're right, it's quarter to half bright compared to their first Profind 25. That's the way it is. All the same.
I got one for testing back ion September 17 and that was a major 'faux-faux' error: it should never have Passed merit: evident no one questioned it.
ALL the R & D went into the 'IRON TONE' feature which 'works' some of the time and usually after you've dug out the nail!

Des D

Yeah hard to believe for sure, I like everything else the pinpointer. A bud and I got out In a local park the other day and did a little poking around with our detectors. He is the guy that just bought the new pro find 35 I was speaking of.

When he turned it on he cracked me up to the point that I almost fell over. He looked down at the pin pointer and said “he!! that’s not an LED light! It’s a power on indicator. “ LOL

REP said:
REP,

Des D

Yeah hard to believe for sure, I like everything else the pinpointer. A bud and I got out In a local park the other day and did a little poking around with our detectors. He is the guy that just bought the new pro find 35 I was speaking of.

When he turned it on he cracked me up to the point that I almost fell over. He looked down at the pin pointer and said “he!! that’s not an LED light! It’s a power on indicator. “ LOL

I agree, it's more of an power indicator.. I don't hunt at night, but may in the future and having a light about that of a cree led would be great but the power consumption would be a concern but I'm sure there is a better option than what they have now.. just my 2¢

pan4au said:
REP,

Des D

I agree, it's more of an power indicator.. I don't hunt at night, but may in the future and having a light about that of a cree led would be great but the power consumption would be a concern but I'm sure there is a better option than what they have now.. just my 2¢

For sure, as I said earlier in this exchange, the technology with high output LED’s is old news nowadays. I know with any offerings you have to consider cost and to be competitive, so sometimes features or quality have to suffer. But I also know that many products are justifiably higher priced over and above like products and there are many who are willing to fork out the difference to have a superior offering.

Seems to me that this is the model of Minelab as a company. They have always been a pricier option but again in most cases easy to justify given what you get for your money. It wouldn’t surprise me if this issue isn’t addressed in the pro find 45 when it comes out. I would be surprised myself if this hasn’t been brought up before as an observation given how long the 35 has been in use.

KEEP DIGGING!

REP said:
I would be surprised myself if this hasn’t been brought up before as an observation given how long the 35 has been in use.

REP, I wrote about it in my Field Test on the ProFind 35 and raised at least one other (possibly more) concern as well.
That Report when it was Published had been 'censored' by ML and was not the Word Document that I had submitted.

The following year, 2018, they banned me from receiving an Equinox to Field Test even though the magazine in question had promised exclusivity of testing to me.

Des D said:
I would be surprised myself if this hasn’t been brought up before as an observation given how long the 35 has been in use.

REP, I wrote about it in my Field Test on the ProFind 35 and raised at least one other (possibly more) concern as well.
That Report when it was Published had been 'censored' by ML and was not the Word Document that I had submitted.

The following year, 2018, they banned me from receiving an Equinox to Field Test even though the magazine in question had promised exclusivity of testing to me.

Wow, is it that Minwlab wanted to suppress a review from an honest subjective spin around the block? That would be shocking to learn. It goes against everything that I know about the company.

But I have seen cases where companies would withhold review if they thought there would be a biased or unfavorable review no matter what the outcome.

Do you think they felt that you were brand biased or might be to critical of there products?

I know it’s a long way from the lab where these things are designed to the PR. Department. You never know what goes on with those guys given the pressure they work under on a daily basis. I would hate to speculate, interesting information though.

REP