Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pro Swing and CTX 3030

Overvoltage

I have had my Pro Swing for a year now. I was wondering if anyone has had the same problems I have had and what did you do to modify/fix the problems.
1) I am not a small guy so I had to unstitch the front straps and move them closer to the front of the belt. I did not like how they wrapped around my side (was not very comfortable).
2) I had to unstitch the web belt from the waist padding, reinforce (doubled) the web belt and moved the Velcro straps closer to the front in order to make a space on the belt long enough to accommodate my finds pouch.
3) I modified a camelback HAWG pack and stitched it to the back to give storage for spare parts/batteries/lunch etc...and water on hot days.

Now, for my biggest problem, the adjustable support beam keeps coming unscrewed and separating on me when I am out detecting. This happens after about every 8-10 hours of detecting and is becoming very annoying. I have thought about drilling and tapping a small hole and inserting set screws to keep the adjustment screws from moving. Has anyone else had this problem and what have you done to fix it?

I have attached some pics of my modifications and one not so good pic of the adjustable support beam problem.

To add my finds pouch I didn't take apart anything. I used a velcro strap that's used to roll up sleeping bags and just wove it through the existing gaps in the waist band. I am not sure how the screws are turning while locked into place on the harness, as there is no rotation placed on the J-strut itself. Do you hear the audible SNAP when you push them in? When I first got it I pushed them in kinda hard, but didn't hear the snap, but then I watched the Minelab video that has the audio of the snap. I went back and pushed harder and heard it. I used it for 4 hours so far and it hasn't changed at all. Could possibly be defective, might want to contact Minelab about the issue.

I took one of those red, looped bunjy cords with the black ball and wrapped it twice around the belt right where the rod exits from the rear pocket. This stops any screw rotation and stabilizes the rod so it stays in place when putting the harness on and off.

Stever...Yes, they are snapped in place. As you can see in the photo, the screw end (part that snaps in) is still locked/snapped in the pocket of the harness. What I think is happening is it is unscrewing ever so slightly each time I squat down to retrieve a target until it finally pops out. I was thinking lock-tight on the threads might also work.

I had problems with the rods coming apart when I bend down to dig a target so I used black electrical tape on the joint where the rods connect, this worked for me, maybe it will work to keep the screws from turning for you.

sarge

I love the Pro Swing. It's like having a valet along to hold your detector and shovel so you can blow your nose, mess with the cell phone, adjust headphones, etc. I bought the replacement rod/bunjy kit and put it on the right side. I'm right handed, but hang the detector in my left so I can shovel, and do other things with my right hand. I use a long handled tiler shovel (a la Beau Ouimlette sp.) the length and angle of which allows less bending and stooping. With some grasses and soils, it's hard on the wrist to break ground with those tiny hand shovels. The long handle allows more leverage and acts as an aid to getting up and down. Basically you don't kneel down until you've pretty much isolated the target. It's easy to see a can or large junk without bending down. Just close the hole and move on.

I put the extra Velcro band hook on the shovel and balance both hooks so the items pretty much stand by on their own while I use both hands for other things. In soft ground, the shovel drags, leaving a groove where I've been.
Keeping the front vertical straps tight helps to keep the rods together, but climbing out of a creek bed can dislocate the rods. I'll use Gorilla tape or that self healing, stretch rubber tape if needed... Maybe even just glue them together since I now have two rods - a right and a left.

I have to lower the harness from overhead to put it on when both rods are tightly in place, but it feels really good to have all the weight bearing on my hips, not my shoulders.

The Garrett digger and Pinpointer fit in the left belt front area.

I threaded my old Garrett finds bag (I never got a Minelab bag) straps thru that back battery holder bag and the Velcro belt strap. And that's atop a canvas shotgun shell bag which has the main belt threaded thru it to hold large iron pieces I find on the farm.
Most of the time I can locate the target prior to getting on my knees and leave all the bunjies and tools attached during the whole process. It's not hard to rehook if needed.

Drjohn71a, your outfit sounds complicated, but personally functional. Got any selfies out in the field showing you in your full setup?

I'll post some tomorrow. It's really simple: install two support rods. Thread a canvas shotgun shell bag on the right front belt. Note that small things can fall out of the shell bag - you still need a finds bag. If you don't need the extra large pockets, skip the shell bag. Take the smaller strap from a finds bag and run it thru the loop on the middle back battery holder and atop the belt forward thru the Velcro loop for the main belt. On the left side put a Pinpointer holster and a small shovel holster together on the main belt just behind the left Velcro loop.

You can now hook your bunjie cord support to either side since both sides have the support rod in place. The spare J rod kit from Minelab includes the bunjie cord hook/lock, the hook strap for your detector or shovel, and the J rod. Just wrap the Velcro hook strap around a long handled shovel. I prefer the narrow and back angled "tiler" model since its narrow and pointed and easily gets thru gravel. And, you don't have to bend over to use it.

OK. Here are some photos of the setup. This arrangement does not hook into the back battery holder strap in the centerline, but rather just ties the aft strap of the finds bag over the main belt.

Wow you guys have gone to some great lengths to "Customize" your harness's to better suit you, and have some great ideas!!! I too and not a small guy by any means, and I totally love using my harness, even when swinging the smaller 11 inch coil because it makes everything easier. Only problem I have is now during the cold months, I can't get a coat on under it, I can wear something thin but not suitable for real cold weather. I love how the belt holds all the utilities needed.

I love the idea Overvoltage had about restitching the harness for better fit and use and adjustment to hold find pouch etc. But I've never done any stitching of anything, about the best Idea I can come up with is to take the harness to the guy that used to pack my reserve parachutes as he did that kind of harness work, and if it will hold for a parachute rig I'm sure it'll hold up to detecting, that'll have a price though but worth it. I've had the same issues as mentioned above, and I was really happy to find this thread so thanks for posting it! Everyone has great ideas!

The HipStick is a better choice with a greater range of motion.

What I notice after using my CTX is elbow pain. Arm and shoulder are fine. Will the Pro swing help me for this pain?

McClod - I don't think you need to cut and stitch much on these. For one thing, the extensive mods previously shown would cancel out the weight transfer function wherein the weight of things hooked to the bunjies pushes back and around to the small of the back.

I am a bit heavy too, and the belt is too small to go around my waist at the belly button, but it snaps easily below the bulge... Seems like you could use an extension or longer belt.

I don't have elbow pain, but don't like having to hold things all day long, nor having to frequently bend over to pick up my detector when having a drink, snack, phone call, nose blow, chipping fossils, or two handed shoveling. If the weight is causing your elbow pain, it's likely to be reduced by reducing the weight carried and swung.

I got the proswing for elbow pain - it does seem to eliminate it but seems design overkill for the issue. I got a good deal on mine used but would otherwise recommend trying a cheaper approach first.

I give all you guy's credit, that is a lot of work. I know there are some guys & gal's who love it. For me, it wasn't worth the trouble of putting it on. I found it way to bulky and returned it the next day. I do know guys who love it, it is a personal preference. I am looking to get as light as possible. I have a big leather pouch that is made great, but it is to big.Great job on the swing OverVoltage.

Jim

bklein said:
What I notice after using my CTX is elbow pain. Arm and shoulder are fine. Will the Pro swing help me for this pain?

DUDE LET ME TELL YOU!!!

I was using an excal and the 15" WOT (I'm a beach hunter) and I was using a basic bungee cord tied to my belt.It helped. Then I got the CTX and went to the beach. I couldn't last 30 minutes. It was TERRIBLE. My buddy has a ctx and the swingy thingy harness. Looks ok I guess. I went and got the pro swing and WOW!!!! I'm not kidding you, I can do 5 to 7 hr hunts with ZERO pain. Before my wrist would go numb, my shoulder would ache and especially my elbow.. Felt like tennis elbow. Hurt in the bone!..Now I am pain free. The 140.00 I spent on a harness seemed like a lot a first but it is seriously worth it. And I am in no way affiliated with minelab. Harness' help but I think its that J hook thing that really puts all the weight evenly to your hips and shoulders that does the trick.