Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Problem with 5.3 coil...

Calnevaroy

The coil works fine in multi frequency modes and single frequency modes 2.5 kHz and 7.5 kHz but goes nuts in 22.5 kHz. The coil is V rated and seems to work fine otherwise. Can it be fixed?

It sounds like the coil is not a V rated coil but if the serial # starts out with a V, it is and needs to go back to White's.

Had the same problem with one of my 5.3 coils.
Sent to whites and they replaced the guts with upgraded V rated. ( tx coil)
:clap:Works on my V3i Great. Was on my DFX.
Whites will take good care of you as they do all of there customers.

Thanks guys! I thought I was in for a new coil purchase. I've rarely needed to send in any detector or accessory of theirs since 1970. White's is great! :thumbup:

Larry (IL) said:
It sounds like the coil is not a V rated coil but if the serial # starts out with a V, it is and needs to go back to White's.
Yes, the serial number does start with a "V".

The good news is you will get a new coil in short order. :clapping: I would call Mary at the factory and ask for her advise, she is a good person to know.

Larry (IL) said:
The good news is you will get a new coil in short order. :clapping: I would call Mary at the factory and ask for her advise, she is a good person to know.
Thank you Larry, I'll do what you suggested :)

I hope you get your 5.3 issue resolved. My 5.3 is my all time favorite coil to hunt with, and it has been responsible for the majority of my finds.

In fact I hunt with it 90% of the time, over ground that has been pounded silly. (but this little coil still picks the good stuff)

Mary is the Bomb at getting things done...

Larry (IL) said:
I called Mary awhile back and she said it would cost in the neighborhood of $30 plus shipping to repair the coil. :whites:

Howdy Calnevaroy--

I am surprised that Mary said that there would be a charge. I know 2 people that had problems with coils and they were promptly replaced - free of charge. How old is your coil? Did you buy it used? Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

I had a recent problem with my eclipse 6 x 10 and called Whites.
The lady (maybe Mary) asked how old it was and I told her 3 or 4 years.
She said it was probably out of warranty and I didn't ask for an estimate.
I just wanted it fixed.
A couple weeks later I get it back and it looks brand new.
The invoice said "replaced bad loop"
No charge.
Had a GMT coil go bad as well.
Same deal.
Pretty sweet service!
I'd just send it in
I bet you don't get charged

Blind Squirrel said:
Howdy Calnevaroy--

I am surprised that Mary said that there would be a charge. I know 2 people that had problems with coils and they were promptly replaced - free of charge. How old is your coil? Did you buy it used? Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel
Yep, it's old and well used and I think Mary asked me about the age of the coil. :whites:

Tbone1 said:
I had a recent problem with my eclipse 6 x 10 and called Whites.
The lady (maybe Mary) asked how old it was and I told her 3 or 4 years.
She said it was probably out of warranty and I didn't ask for an estimate.
I just wanted it fixed.
A couple weeks later I get it back and it looks brand new.
The invoice said "replaced bad loop"
No charge.
Had a GMT coil go bad as well.
Same deal.
Pretty sweet service!
I'd just send it in
I bet you don't get charged
Good Idea! Either way I'll end up with a healthy coil. Thanks for the suggestion, it's appreciated! :thumbup:

This past fall Mary replaced my faulty 6x10 @nc. Mine was a very recent coil, "V" type that failed badly. The replacement was at my door before the end of the third day after talking to Mary. WTG! I've consistently been treated as a valued customer by Whites.
HH - Bruce

Calnevaroy said:
I called Mary awhile back and she said it would cost in the neighborhood of $30 plus shipping to repair the coil. :whites:
White's received my 5.3 coil on February 24 and I received it back on the 14th of March. The coil appears to be new but the coil cable appears to have been wound around a rod at one time or another, so who knows. I haven't had time to test but I'm confident it'll be fine. As all here have assured me, there was no charge! :thumbup: :whites: