Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

problem with t-2

chuck ky

my t-2 has started shutin off while hunting and coming right back on. at first i thought the batteries weren't making good contact but know it seems to do it also when i hit and overload target and i know it does it every time i hit the pinpoint switch. when the sound gets to the loudest pitch it shuts off and comes back on. thanks for any help

Sorry I cannot be much help,it sounds like a job for the factor service centre. Other members might have a better idea whats going on with it.

It does sound like it is time to send her in. I would at least make the call and talk to a tech. It might be something they have seen in the past and have just the fix for it.

There was a guy on here a month or so ago that had the same problem. I think he eventually sent it in. I'm not certain what he said was wrong with it. I've slept and had a tree limb fall on my head since then. Hopefully it's just something minor.

A bad battery (or using regular zinc-carbons or so-called "heavy duty" batteries) can cause that. Sometimes a brand new battery will be a dud (Duracell seems to be a particular offender these days). Try an all new set of name brand alkaline batteries and see if that makes the problem go away.

If that doesn't fix it, it's probably due for a trip to the factory.

--Dave J.

As long as were on the subject of batteries, why don't folks use a multimeter to check their batteries before using them. Its quick, and saves alot of heartache. We all know how many 'battery' related problems there are on the forums.

thanks for all the replies. it did better today after changing the batteries but it still does it when i use the pinpoint switch. it could be the batteries as they are the heavy duty type

My T-2 HAD THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM,SEND IT IN THEY WILL FIX IT,PROBABLY A COIL,I AM ON MY THIRD COIL IN NINE MONTHS

Chuck, I think you answered your question....heavy duty type batteries.....First Texas manuals explicity state not to use them. BTW...what brand(s) of batteries are you using.....the one's with problem occuring...and the one's you put in after reading posts here?

they were actually the same type out of the same package of 8. with the others it got to shuting off and coming back on about every 3rd swing. when i changed i hunted all day and the only time it would do it was when i used the pinpoint switch. thnaks

i changed to the alkaline batteries and everything seems alright now. i'm it was something that simple. thanks for everyone's help

Glad it seems ok now! The so-called Heavy Duty batteries are really the same old carbon-zinc cells I bought for 10 cents each back in the 1960's. When fresh they have a high voltage, sometimes too high for today's sensitive IC chips and voltage regulators. Just the same, they cannot provide much current and when asked to do so, as in a high-volume or "enhanced" mode like the T2's pinpoint trigger, their voltage drops rapidly. This makes for a wonky detector as you discovered. ;)

My T2 liked to allow the batteries to "bounce" in the tray which made them lose contact momentarily. When tht happened, it was like I turned it off then back on again. The newer machines have beefed up battery contacts. What I did was add some thin weatherstripping along the inner sides of the battery box. The added friction of the foam stopped the cells from moving off their contacts.

-Ed