Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Programmable detectors

RedRockNv

Anyone else check out the forums for the various programmable detectors? I like to check out the V3i and CTX3030 forums. The problems those people have are incrediable. Amazing they find anything. I see people that just get the thing and start tweeking programs. Plugging in a program that is great for someone else's ground then wonder why they can't get any depth. All I can say is thank god for switches and knobs. My Pro has all the buttons I think I will ever need. I have tried various programmables like the Spectrum XLT, DFX, Minelabs Quatro, Explorer II, and SE. Nice detectors all but they all have one problem you can't tell what effect one setting has on another and operators that have to try to run before they have learned to crawl. I would imagine a lot of good detectors get set back to the factory cause people get them all balled up. I am sure they are great for people that like spending all day running through programs. I imagine it is like watching my teenaged granddaughter playing a video game. She spends three quarters of the day dressing her character, changing hair color and stuff. Me when I play I just grab a war axe and go hit somebody with it.

PS. This is an effort to get a little chatter going. Everyone can't be out detecting can they? I guess they should be. Here it is 4:30 in the AM and not a new post since yesterday. Maybe we need some appreciation posts for our intelligently designed MXT's. They are so easy. Maybe a Hey! Don't knock it til you tried it posting or a "the grass IS greener over here!" Even a Hey shut up people are trying to sleep!

Yesterday I was out looking for a new place to detect. I was along the Carson river. There are rocks that set off the overload, metal trash everywhere. Then I found one object that kept moving around. I would go back to it's last location to make sure it wasn't there. Nothing. Then when I was about to go nuts I realized it was hitting on my shovel. I found some good camping/fishing spots though.

good morning..i have the mxtpro and a vx3..i love both machines..but I will say I tend to grab the mxtpro most anymore.. not sure why...its easier to ground balance and get started, quicker recovery helped me find some silver next to huge iron ...I couldn't pinpoint the silver due to object appeared bigger than trash can lid but it showed 2 objects and gave a good enough number for me to dig..it does great in nail infested areas too.. ive always had mxt's but the pro is the best just for the extra options..

There is a sliver of truth to some your comments, some are just plain your opinion and the rest are funny. :biggrin:

I was just trying to see who was awake. Shake the lurker tree a little.

That is why I did not go on the defensive. I have to admit that the MXT is probably the easiest to use and best all around detector on the market though.

redrock-- oh so true. an aquaintance bought his first detector a few years ago- a V3i--HIS FIRST DETECTOR-- TOTALLY CLUELESS. was sold with a loss and he does not do the hobby.

i have found the series e mxt tracker machine easy to work. i had the usual questions about functions-duh....read the book and look at the short videos. this machine is so stable and simple i am really getting the hang of it. its FORGIVING. ITS SO WELL ENGINEERED. the only other id machine i had used was a Bh505. same engineer same simplicity

and a legend that will go on a long time. like the everyready bunny........

I'm not a fan of the machines with too many choices either. I prefer to keep it fairly simple and spend more time swinging rather than tweaking. Therefore, the MXT is the best choilce for me. Not knocking those that like the others, just no for me.
BB

I know you know my interest in switching from a Vaquero to an MXT Pro....my main goal is to find silver and I'm still not sure if I can justify the switch because the MXT Pro has the same frequency. Can anyone explain how the Pro can find silver well? I just don't wanna think i need to go to the V3 or E-trac or something just to find silver. I mean the 20 year old Eagle Spectrum I have has found me more silver in just a few hunts. I definitely want something kind of like the Spectrum, just more modern

Since I own the MXT Pro I may be biased but I know that you don't need all the manual adjustments to accomplish the goal. All of these advanced adjustments confuse the operator and waste time that could have been spent detecting. Worse case scenario could be that the person loses interest or the hobby is no longer fun for them. Its like fishing, if the setup is working don't change it.

Bobby s said:
I know you know my interest in switching from a Vaquero to an MXT Pro....my main goal is to find silver and I'm still not sure if I can justify the switch because the MXT Pro has the same frequency. Can anyone explain how the Pro can find silver well? I just don't wanna think i need to go to the V3 or E-trac or something just to find silver. I mean the 20 year old Eagle Spectrum I have has found me more silver in just a few hunts. I definitely want something kind of like the Spectrum, just more modern
If there is silver at the site, the MXT PRO has just as good chance of finding it as the DFX. I personally feel that the MXT PRO has a better chance of finding silver in trashy areas than the DFX because the recovery speed is much quicker on the PRO. Today I was finding pennies and clad dimes at a baseball field that had fill dirt put over the original field. The Pro, with the 6x8 sef, was very clearly identifying them at 6-7 inches. Had this been an older search area, the Pro would have plucked silvers out with the same ease. The White's machines are very good at keeping an accurate VDI at considerable depth. I give the MXT pro the trophy over my x-terra 705 when it comes to VDI accuracy and depth read out. I also like the pinpoint feature better on White's machines.

Perhaps you need to find a few more old places to hunt. You may not be finding any silvers with the Vaquero simply because there have not been any to find. Properly set up, I would imagine the Vaquero would find it's fair share too. I have been to quite a few houses that I expected to be good and was totally shocked to find nothing old. Just yesterday I went back to a house I had previously detected with my DFX, and thought maybe I would find something this time with the MXT PRO. I came up with a newly dropped dime and a nickle. Doesn't make sense that a late 1800's house wouldn't produce anything good, but then again, metal detecting is not a brand new hobby!
My best advice would be to find your own personal preference in detector and stick with it! Maybe you can find a place or person in your area that has what your looking for and will let you test it out. Good luck!

ronhob said:
Bobby s said:
If there is silver at the site, the MXT PRO has just as good chance of finding it as the DFX. I personally feel that the MXT PRO has a better chance of finding silver in trashy areas than the DFX because the recovery speed is much quicker on the PRO. Today I was finding pennies and clad dimes at a baseball field that had fill dirt put over the original field. The Pro, with the 6x8 sef, was very clearly identifying them at 6-7 inches. Had this been an older search area, the Pro would have plucked silvers out with the same ease. The White's machines are very good at keeping an accurate VDI at considerable depth. I give the MXT pro the trophy over my x-terra 705 when it comes to VDI accuracy and depth read out. I also like the pinpoint feature better on White's machines.

Perhaps you need to find a few more old places to hunt. You may not be finding any silvers with the Vaquero simply because there have not been any to find. Properly set up, I would imagine the Vaquero would find it's fair share too. I have been to quite a few houses that I expected to be good and was totally shocked to find nothing old. Just yesterday I went back to a house I had previously detected with my DFX, and thought maybe I would find something this time with the MXT PRO. I came up with a newly dropped dime and a nickle. Doesn't make sense that a late 1800's house wouldn't produce anything good, but then again, metal detecting is not a brand new hobby!
My best advice would be to find your own personal preference in detector and stick with it! Maybe you can find a place or person in your area that has what your looking for and will let you test it out. Good luck!

I'm surprised you put the MXT pro over the 705. A lot of posts I've seen have them pitted pretty closely, with the 705 usually winning, especially because the 705 can change frequencies. But I'm glad you put a nod towards the Pro because that's what I'm thinkin of getting.

And I know what your saying with the Vaquero, but it's been two years and I can't learn it's language. I've been using an Eagle Spectrum in the same areas I've been over multiple times with the Vaquero and have pulled out more silver, one of them being a 1774 Spanish reale. Luckily it was at a place I can go back to or I might not of found it. I know it would of been a crappy signal on the Vaq. I just want to be able to go to a spot and be confident about it. The only thing I'm wondering is that since the MXT pro has the same frequency as the Vaquero, can it still be more powerful on silver?

While you are saving for the Pro why not max out what the Eagle can do. Maybe send it in for a tune up to make sure it is doing it's best and get the best coil for your area. Being old it is probably trashy. So a 4x6 or 5.3 might be the ticket on what silver is there as they can edge around the trash. I am guessing at the age of your sites. And I don't know what coil you are using. Sounds like a good unit you have. 20 years and still going strong. Make a garden so you can test settings and make sure you are getting all the depth you can. You probably have this all figuared out but just thought I would mention a few things. I have seen people make incrediable finds with the Eagle.

RedRockNv said:
While you are saving for the Pro why not max out what the Eagle can do. Maybe send it in for a tune up to make sure it is doing it's best and get the best coil for your area. Being old it is probably trashy. So a 4x6 or 5.3 might be the ticket on what silver is there as they can edge around the trash. I am guessing at the age of your sites. And I don't know what coil you are using. Sounds like a good unit you have. 20 years and still going strong. Make a garden so you can test settings and make sure you are getting all the depth you can. You probably have this all figuared out but just thought I would mention a few things. I have seen people make incrediable finds with the Eagle.

Thanks for the input. I would really like to get the spectrum taken care of and everything, but I really don't have the money to spend on it. I would like to get new coils and what not, but it's costing me a lot of money for 4 c cell batteries and the battery life isn't that great. I'm just trying to get rid of the vaquero for something else and then keep the eagle as a backup. Right now I'm focusing on upgrading while using the eagle as is. It's still kickin enough to keep me goin for a while. Im either looking to get a used MXT Pro, a used V series, or maybe somethin that has a real low frequency because silver really is all I like to hunt for. I just don't see how the MXT Pro can find silver at decent depths. Nobody has really justified to me yet how it could find silver any better than my Vaquero, that's what I need to figure out before making any decisions. I know it's probably a tough call, I'm just really cautious about my money because I'm a poor college student, lol