Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pull tabs/pull rings

The SIZE of target can help with foil :)

I still have a hard time with pull tabs...at the beach I try hard to use ALL info to make a guess as to good or bad target. I have been doing good on my guessing...Just need more GOOD targets to test my guessing on:-|

Jerry

The little time I have with the V3 I noticed the sizing / analyze screen is doing it's job but the problem is that the modern pull tabs and my wedding band are pretty close in size so for now I'M digging .

But I have experience that when I hit a Target in the Jewelry Range, and The Sizing / Analyze screen shows a large size or irregular size, I'M 99% sure it's charred Aluminum from the Parks Lawnmower, I did not have this advantage with my pass detectors and is a time saver. I just need more hunt time to gain more experience.

They both tend to hit 19 on the TID for me. However, i've noticed that the squaretabs I have tend to jump from 19 to 20 and the nickels tnd to drop from 19 to 18... not all the time but if I swing ovr them enough I can see the pattern. Then again, in real hunting there are other variables that may change things. I can tell no difference using the analize screen... only with the numbers.
This test is using two squaretabs, one unaltered and on folded over from the end. They both tend to jump the number up, the folded one a little more so, 19 to 20 or even 22. The nickels always stay steady or drop a number.

J

The whole thing that keeps me digging all are those variables. If I run across a place that has a tight spot that most tabs are exactly the same. I won't dig those signals. Could mean a sloppy vendor/same use spot. I am going to check tab/ gold comparisons extensively soon (I have a much higher comfort level with the new machine now). Maybe there will be some more solid distinctions but...those variables.

That is one of the main things I would like to get done this winter, to make a custom program for gold jewelry hunting, by notching just the main VDI# for the common pull tabs. I think that would be just enough to "dirty" the audio on a common tab yet leave most of the VDI spectrum open for other targets. What is really nice about the V is I don't have to notch OUT the VDI, just re-assign the tone to a low grunt so if I hear the grunt mixed with the other tones in the tab range, I would be pretty sure it was just a tab.

Thanks for the info. Things like reassigning a tone on a pull tab ought to be added to some kind of FAQ.Name it something like "Helpful Hints for the V3":thumbup:

Well, I have to edit. My squaretabs sometimes drop from 19 to 18 just like the nickels...

bummer.

Julien

It is not foolproof, but I think it is a good start. I think the nickel and square tab can be ID'd by the Analyze screen pretty good.

Well from my experience the analyze screen has taken out a ton of trash to get at those rings there may be similarities but foil has been cut from the field due to size aluminum child drink caps and most of the can shards as there are to many variables in the metal and with those relying on the VDI screen in combination with the analyze takes them out as well plus I've noticed they hit in the 19 range and if that Blue Analyze isn't consistent with the red you know its trash. That leaves three things nickles which are now all over the place, tabs, and rings. I'd say our average got a whole lot better not sure how you see it but as someone said you just need more good targets to tell the difference.

Sarah

That's the whole crux Sarah...enough good targets in the same soil. A while back I talked to a guy that found 17 rings in a high school ball field. Would give my eye teeth right now to have a site like that just to see the info. Cumulative memory is the next best thing and I guess that's what we are doing here.