Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Putting the coil wire into the shaft......

Bud-sc

I have been thinking about putting the coil wire into the shaft. The only thing I see might cause a problem is the lower shaft might be to small in diameter and after drilling the hole it may make the lower shaft weak probably break. Anybody done this yet???

no, and for exactly the reason you stated. The shafts werent meant for an internal cable and you are more likely to do permanent damage.

a shaft that collapses into a shorter size, like the Quest or Deus.

Why bother with that on the Nox when its a replacement for the Terra's and people didn't do that with them ! Waste of time and a way of having to buy a new stem .

Yeah. It was a thought. I wish they made the coil wire about a extra 8 inches longer for extra room for the coil to "breathe".

It is a good thought. I too would like to have the coil wire enclosed like the CTX. If the Nox is sensing the coil on some machines with loose coil cables, then it is a good reason to enclose it so it doesnt get detected by moving around. If it was a waste of time and/or not a good idea then the CTX would have had the cable wrapped around the shaft. I think most CTX users would agree that it makes a coil change a lot quicker if you have another shaft already mounted. I hope Anderson and other aftermarket folks discover how to get the coil up the shaft to a point and out to the head unit. Of course, my main thought was ease of coil changes, as the CTX needed a different coil wires threaded through the shaft. I have all the CTX coils an on Anderson shafts. Makes a coil change quick, less than a minute usually. If, on the 800, I want to change the coil (if Minelab EVER starts to build them), I will have to unscrew and rescrew the coil brackets off an on, unwrap and rewrap the coil. Get it nice and snug, and that will take maybe 2 to 3 minutes. So. to me the cable through the shaft is a great idea as it would save wear and tear on the coil brackets, the cables wires, and ME!

Yes, but the ctx requires you to purchase hundreds of $$$ worth of shafts if you have multiple coil. There was also a problem with shaft rubbing and cutting cable shielding. It also required much larger rods.

Honestly here, how many have had a problem of their coil cable being detected, that couldn't be fixed by properly securing it to the shaft? I have never had a cable so loose and floppy that it created signals. I have also never had a problem with an external cable. The CTX was certainly a slow an painful process to change coils on if you didnt want to spend a lot more money. The internal routing of the explorer and e-tracs was even worse.

Jason in Enid said:
Yes, but the ctx requires you to purchase hundreds of $$$ worth of shafts if you have multiple coil. There was also a problem with shaft rubbing and cutting cable shielding. It also required much larger rods.

Honestly here, how many have had a problem of their coil cable being detected, that couldn't be fixed by properly securing it to the shaft? I have never had a cable so loose and floppy that it created signals. I have also never had a problem with an external cable. The CTX was certainly a slow an painful process to change coils on if you didnt want to spend a lot more money. The internal routing of the explorer and e-tracs was even worse.

Agreed. The internal cable is a PITA, in my opinion. Takes just seconds to properly wrap the cable externally. If a guy can't wrap the cable without the cable causing signals he should get in to another hobby. Pretty basic stuff.

Dean

I have not had a problem with the cable being detected. With it properly screwed in and wrapped around the shaft I have enough play to avoid strain due to the coil moving and I cannot get it to sound off on the cable. So I guess it's a non issue :shrug:

My machine doesn't hit on the wire or the control head and I have them all pretty close to each other.