Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question about hunting Excal in Pinpoint Mode

Jed in NC

I saw this video on Youtube of a guy hunting his Excal in pinpoint mode and switching to Disc to check his targets. At one point in the video he gets a signal in pinpoint that does not show up in Disc. After removing a couple of scoops of sand he is able to get a signal in Disc mode and successfully recovers his target. Do any of you folks use a similar method? I have been hunting with a Disc setting at 1 all of the time. What are the chances that I am missing deeper targets by using Disc all of the time? Thanks!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODLkj2wZ328

Jed, I got this Idea from {CJC} Clive's Books on The Excals he is the Pro.{"clivesgoldpagehome"} Some Beachs you can Hunt like this, this beach has alot of wave action and the targets can be very deep And there"s not alot of trash. I had heard this beach was Sanded IN and there was not much to be found but hunting in Allmetal That day I had several times I was able to get Targets that being in discrimate would have missed, I just happened to get one on Video. On the Video the threshold sounds loud but it is sounds normal with the HeadPhones on, it is just the way the camara is set up to pick up the Audio. I use all the settings that are in Clives book plus afew of his secrets upgrades on the Excal, which makes a big difference in the ability to pick these targets out. I had a few targets that day that were 6 to 8 inchs, But most were 14 to 18 inchs. With a couple at 20 & 22 at least. { This was my first video and I learned several things from it myself that I did wrong. One was hold the FIND up to the headcam, second FILL your holes in now instead of later, even though it is 38 dreeges and the only people on the beach was just me and my Hunting Partner}. MY opinion is, Hunting like this has given me another advanage over the competition at this well know beach, Where my partner came out with 11 coins only. Get his books, for they have payed for themself's with the finds I would have missed.

Thanks for the quick reply and for the info. I have just started to read CJC's latest book. I am new to the Excal II and to beach hunting. Thanks for taking the time to put the videos together! I continue to pick up great tips on this site.

I really hate to pick this great work apart, cause it is a very awsome vid....I like it....But here goes my thoughts, and not trying to kill it....First thing I have The book and have read it.....It helped my alot....but here is my diff. experiences....I have found targets using disc.@ 1 and tried to pinpoint and it wouldn't.....I had to dig just by using disc. and found it....that is what gets me....and I have heard others say it also......so what gives?......I also(maybe cam angle?) think you swing too fast.....it may work for you, but not where I hunt.....it may be my settings...I don't know....I hunt about 10:30 to 11 oclock sens. and threshold barely audiable.....volume at 12 o'clock....disc. at 1....that is about as peak as it gets here....and alot of the time I cannot get pinpoint to work when they are deeeeep......My scoop goes in at 90 deg. and gets dug deep, his goes in at 45 deg and doesnt seem to be deep if he is measuring at an angle.....unless it is the angle of the cam again.....so Now why the diff......why does my pinpoint not work as well as disc. does?.......If you can answer that and enlighten me...I would ba a happy camper....Sorry...Not trying to be an arss....just trying to get some answers...Thanks

That's a great question mattockman. I have been running my sens at 12 to 1 o'clock and always disc at 1. I have never used the pinpoint mode on the beach. I'll have to test it out next hunt and see how it responds. I just got mine back from Vegas, and have only had it on the beach one time since I got it back.

Really Funny, I seen some of the same things you did when I watched the Video for the first couple times. First, thank you on the Awsome. And your not picking it apart, we are learning here. I learned so much myself from this video. It was my first time out with the Head cam and I should have waited for my second trip to put a video out because some of the things that looked strange because of the cam angle, the loud threshold, and other distorted things I could have corrected or tried to Verified. I do know this, I have been to several locations around the country and thought I was going to tear that beach up, and came back scratching my head, But I learned that before I do go, I research the location and the Hunters, the detectors that work there and there settings so I do have a better time because I have found what works at my Beach's my not work at yours. So, here We go....... on a few of the Questions, I used just about the same settings {other then on my Vol Full} you listed and they work at this beach also, for some reason AM works better here, not sure why. { The Threshold is as low as it will go without Breaking up, But.... this Low Threshold is Amped UP using Doc's Treasure Screamer }.......... Second , It's looks like I am moving right along, I don't think I was, I am 66 and dragging a SS scoop, I will try slowing down, maybe I learned something there also. I know I did say a couple times watching the Video, Hey I missed that! ......Third on the depth of the holes, the Angle of the head cam for some reason Really distorts this, It was one of the things I notice when I was watching the Video right off. I did, on one of the Edits of the video stick the handle in and marked it, think it was about 16 inch's.See if I can find that video cut.Next video I will have my Scoop Handle marked in 6 inch Increments. Also My digging Angle I would say is about 80 to 85 degrees, to old for that strait up stuff........ Forth on the Pinpoint all I can figure is the conditions are just so different in NH, Am hunting does not work as well, I am surprised though....Maybe CJC can help on that.............. Fifth, HH my friend...OldbeechNut

Jed, this can work well if the area is pretty clean. Sometimes there is just too much iron and flipping over between modes can be a nuisance. In clean surf areas around here, I have found Pinpoint to search deeper, than normal disc mode and the coil can be swept faster too. It is particularly advantageous in the splash, as the mineralization, wave action can overwhelm the disc circuit. I would recommend you at least try it and see how it does for you. In the event you have not read it yet, I would HIGHLY recommend both of cjc (Clive James Clynick's latest Excal books too. He addresses the all-metal mode in great detail, as well as many other helpful tips on Excal performance and operation.

I completely agree with Gulf Hunter, I would also like to add;
I find that in quiet areas (low mineralisation, dry sand), disc mode goes just as deep as AM, exept in AM the signal will be so faint that you won't hear it whereas in disc the signal will be amplified by the detector's electronics so much more that you'll be able to hear it. I have found that the noisier the ground, the deeper AM goes.

G,day fella's,
I just had a look of the video, great footage but... for me personally i think you where swinging way to fast
and also noticed you where missing large tracks undetected, my motto is 'go low and slow'.
As previously mentioned by GH, Bence and mattockman, I also totally agree.
One other thing is please fill in your holes, wheather at the beach or hunting in the hills and we'll be able to
ensure the future of our hobby.
HH and cheers
Aushunter:ausflag:

Keep up the great videos and post more.

Hi aushunter:ausflag: i gotta agree this is a good vid ,BUUUUUUUUUUUUT the guy is my favorite type of opposition he has a small coil and he is going toooooooo fast i reckon he is missing over two feet in every complete swing, keep it up mate and if i saw you leaving those holes where i detect i would kindly ask you to fill them in .terry in oz:ausflag:

One thing I may have over looked in Saying is, I only HUNT the High Tide Line and Out {Wet Sand Only} With the Excal In Allmetal. Dry sand I Hunt very little and If I did I would use the SE in the Dry. Maybe this is where the Problem is?

{ This was my first video and I learned several things from it myself that I did wrong. One was hold the FIND up to the headcam, second FILL your holes in now instead of later, even though it is 38 dreeges and the only people on the beach was just me and my Hunting Partner} If you watch the Second Video I do come back thur and fill the Holes Guys. HH my friends...OldBeechNut

I will have to agree, that he swings way to fast for the Excal to process. He is picking up small changes in threshold in pinpoint mode for deep targets, but you could hear those in discrimination mode anyway and the shift in threshold tone would be easier to pickup when your swinging fast.
Bob