Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question - Are the BBS 1000 & 10" Tornado coils........

I have tested several and the difference is not the coil it is the machines, from one machine to the next there can be inch or so difference.

Fisherfinder,both are great coils.The 800 and 1000 coils both have excellent depth in most ground conditions the 1000 is a couple inches deeper.The 1000 coil has better coverage,but the 800 coil has a faster sweep speed,lighter easier to swing.The 800 Tornado is more stable and hits harder on dime size targets.Separation is great for both coils but the 800 coil is better for the heavy thrash.Good Luck Ron

Thanks Ron, How about when it comes to comparing the two 10" coils?

Head to head, on the same machine, is the performance of the 10" BBS 1000 & the 10" Tornado coil the same?

8389061742_8929bb2cc4_n.jpg
8387986563_93858f9710.jpg

Or does one out shine the other?

I feel the 10 inch Tornado coil is one of the best coils Minelab makes for the Sovereign while I didn't care for the BBS 10 I had used before. The 8 inch coinsearch I had on my XS would do better then the 10 inch BBS 10 on my XS2, then I switched the coils and the 8 inch still did better on the XS2 so I know it wasn't the detector. When the 10 inch Tornado coil came out on the Elite I was going to sell the coil, but after I used it a bit I seen it was a better coil than the older BBS 10 in my opinion, so now with the GT which I feel is the best Sovereign built I use my 10 inch Tornado coil the most and have my 8 inch coinsearch coil when the 10 inch is too big. The Tornado coil is lighter feeling, seems to separate better then the BBS10, seems to have more depth and also seems to run smoother for me.

Rick

The older BBS 1000 coil is very heavy even minus the scuff cover.The BBS 1000 isn't very stable and doesn't have the depth of the Tornado coils.If someone is on a budget it will work fine usually these can be found for a low price.These were still being used on Excals when the Sovereigns came with the Tornado coils,so some of the newer BBS may not suffered from the performance problems,but were still too heavy.Rick mentioned that he cut the cord to four feet on a BBS coil, which I tried a while back and it seemed more stable and less weight. My opinion an older BBS 1000 coil in ones arsenal as a backup may be a good idea.Good Luck Ron

I assume your question is the difference between the old heavy 8 and 10" coils that are usually refered to as "BBS Coils", versus the newer Tornado versions of both coils? If that's the case, I've only used the old heavy 8" BBS coil, which in reality is 7.25" in actual size like the newer Tornado version of it, so it's a very small coil. I found the old 8" BBS coils was fairly good in depth and stability in the short few times I used it land hunting (on an Excalibur a friend loaned me when I was in between machines), and I have read some say that they found the old 8" BBS coil was deeper and more stable for them than the old heavy BBS 10" coil, so they prefered it over that, or prefered the original 8" solid Coinsearch coil over either of the two sized BBS coils.

Now that the more modern/lighter versions of the 8 and 10" coils, called the Tornados, have come along with the advent of the Elite, seems both coils are talked very highly of. I can say the 10" Tornado is the best *stock* coil I ever owned on any detector I've owned or used IMO. Excellent depth, seperation, and stability, and the weight is pretty light too. In terms of an aftermarket coil, hands down the 12x10 for me steps all these aspects of performance up a notch for me, and even makes the tones and reaction time between targets more crisp and sharper to my ears.

The newer Tornados are also sometimes refered to as "Slimline" coils. Confusing to some, because that's what Minelab calles their FBS coils too. The 10" Slimline coils that I had on my Explorers are NOT the same coil as the 10" Tornado in terms of performance IMO. I never cared for those 10" coils on my Explorers at all. Worst stock coil I ever owned on a detector IMO. That's why many FBS guys have long since ditched those in favor of the 12x10 or the Pro Coil, and why you can't even seem to even be able to give those old 10" coils away for the FBS units. Minelab got it right with the 10" Tornado on the Elite/GT, and they also got it right with the 11" Pro Coil on the Etrac/SE Pro, but just the same many even seem to opt for the 12x10 over that coil on those units, believing depth, stability, and seperation has been enhanced even a bit more over the outstanding abilities of the Pro Coil. Not all though. Some have used the 12x10 and went back to the Pro Coil, but I'd say in general most seem to have opted for the 12x10 on those machines when they've compared both.

Either way, if you've got an Etrac or Explorer with a Pro Coil on it, it's one outstanding coil. And if you have a Sovereign with the 10" Tornado on it, once again Minelab hit a home run with that coil as well. The 8" Tornado is also said to be no slouch in depth and stability, and is said to really shine in unmasking in heavy trash or iron due to it's short 7.25" size that is a bit less than typical 8 or 9" small coils used in heavy trash that most machines come stock with. Having a somewhat smaller coil in that respect, yet from what I hear of it's depth potential still punching deeper than the 8 or even up to 10" coils I've used stock on all my prior non-Minelabs, is what has me very excited about the potential of this coil to bring "dead" sites back to life again. Minelab depth, yet with non-standard smaller coil size to see between the trash better in both the length and width wise aspects (compared to say a 8 or 9" concentric coil, or any 8 or 9" or bigger DD coil in terms of length wise respects).

Thank you so much Critter!

I'm new to Minelab machines and I want to start off with good gear.

In a head to head comparison........

Does the 8" Tornado perform better than the 8" BBS 800?

On the subject of the 10" coils it sounds like the Tornado performs a bit better.
I'm wondering if that holds for the 8" coils as well.

..Same settings, same targets, same conditions

That they are a different animal when you are learning them, but once you spend the time to get to know the Sovereign well you will see they are simple to use, very good ID with some great depth that will surprise you over and over again. The best way to learn what they can do is by actually using them in the field.

Rick

Fisherfinder said:
Does the 8" Tornado perform better than the 8" BBS 800?

On the subject of the 10" coils it sounds like the Tornado performs a bit better.
I'm wondering if that holds for the 8" coils as well.

In general what I've heard others say is that the newer Tornados, both the 8 and 10", are not only lighter but much more stable than the prior heavy BBS versions. More so with the 10" versions though compared to each other, but I have heard some say in the past that the 8" BBS coil was not as stable or as deep as the newer Tornado version of it. Not nearly as much though as I've seen that said about the 10" BBS versus the newer Tornado version.

That makes perfect sense.

Nothing beats hours and hours of hands on use under actual conditions.

Same goes for everything from bowling to bongo drums,.... LOL

I sold my bongo drums, they cut into my metal detecting time.

LOL

The earlier bbs coils used a different pre-amp then the later versions. You can easily tell the difference by looking in your connector. 5 wires = earlier pre-amp 4 wires = later pre-amp. The later bbs coils are identical to the tornado coils in performance as they have the same internals. The only difference is that the bbs coils are slightly heavier and the ears are located slightly back as compared to the tornado coils.

I have observed that some of the BBS 800 coils were on par or close with the performance of the Tornado 800 coil.So if someone could snare a newer 800 or 1000 BBS coil off a newer model excal the BBS coil they may have great performance.I'm not sure if a four wires pinned to the coil cord would be an absolute way to identify these,because of other factors.

Hi Ron,

4 wires is the AD797 pre-amp in the coil. 5 wires is an older designed pre-amp. The AD797 is a hotter pre-amp then the former. It is only made with 4 wires in the connector. You may find some freakish coil that just happens to be a hot coil but for a rule of thumb 4 wires = a better coil.

Bob

Bob LI said:
The earlier bbs coils used a different pre-amp then the later versions. You can easily tell the difference by looking in your connector. 5 wires = earlier pre-amp 4 wires = later pre-amp. The later bbs coils are identical to the tornado coils in performance as they have the same internals. The only difference is that the bbs coils are slightly heavier and the ears are located slightly back as compared to the tornado coils.

Yep they did move those ears closer to center, but I wonder why not all the way for the best balance possible like on the pro coil they sell. the ear location really does make a big difference in how the weight feels.

Try turning your coil around on the rod end, this moves the ears forward of the center instead of behind center of mass, just the opposite of how it is meant to be mounted. This brings most of the loop back underneath your arm. You will feel a difference, kind of strange at first but nothing you can't compensate for.