Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question for hunting old ballfield

fishnnut

Hey guys have a question for the pros here as I am a newbie to the Etrac. I have a 100 yr. old ballfield I have hunted in the past with my At Pro and will be going back to it this spring and now that I have an Etrac was wondering what screen pattern would maybe work best for me there? I have downloaded the emulator and have gotten used to most of the settings and so won't be completely green....lol I have installed Goes4ever's 2 tone ferrous as a user mode and Bill's trashy park program. I know everybody says start with the factory coin mode and probably will but there is very little trash here and most old coins have been deep so thought maybe a more open screen would be the way to go for good depth but idk...Any thoughts?

My son and I hunt an old football field that has been filled over. We consistently find wheaties at 10 inches with the factory coins program., and they hit good.

Sounds like your already getting good depth.

I'd try hunting the outfield and along the sidelines - everyone hunts around the infield seating areas - it's a lot of work to hunt outfields but most people don't take the time to hunt them.
I've had good luck hunting outfields - just swing low and slow to find the deep Silver - the other good thing about outfields is there's usually very little junk metal to deal with - so if you get a solid hit - there's a good chance - it's a keeper !

Good Luck !

open your screen up down to about the 25 FE line and dig everything that repeats good. I would first judge how deep the older coins are and if they are lets say 6" or more deep, then especially dig all iffy signals over 6"

My old ball feild I dont want much disrimination as the 2-7 inch range is mostly hunted out. I open the disrimination to about what goes4over say's. Deep on and sometimes fast on as well. plan on hunting it over and over as you will be surprised even what you start to find as you get better and start to understand your machine. If your finidng silver the first time out then your on a great spot, if you dont find silver for 3 times or so then your in for some tough long hunts there but there will still be coins but you will have to get a good understanding of where they are. Most my coins from the over hunted ball field came from behind the second and third base about 20 feet and circling up to 20 feet. I concentrated on those areas for the first 6 hunts there. The other area is out where the outfeilders stood. In side the base line was slim but just outside, as if you were about to run as fast as you could around the bases but not exactly in line I did ok but I see that dirt has piled up or filled the track from back then so the coins can be very very deep there.
After i've hunted it a few times and feel like nothing is happening I do the following:
-on a bigger loop, mine is the SEF 14in.
-Max the sens but DO NOT OVER MAX untill you are used to it, try it with a good stable machine and as you get better at recognizing real from fake sounds then push up the sens as you are able.
- open the disc some more. you will dig some iffys but ive had that pay off.

I suggest you learn your machine by digging the weird stuff and see how it comes in, sounds and looks and feels along with the good stuff. then start to adjust your machine to iliminate what you do not want.

I agree with everyone above, depending on how big the field is and age group of who uses it can give you some idea what to expect. Example small field, little kids lots of Zincs Teen age 5,10,25.cents also the age of the kids can give you an idea of how deep they are playing their outfield position as well as the worn out grass spots. Yesterday I hunted a field that was 320 ft to the outfield fence, I looked where 2nd base was then started walking toward the fence to find the worn out area for the centerfieldman then I looked at the distance toward the left field foul line and divided it in half which gives me a good idea where left fieldman is playing his position and the same for right field. I always hunt 100 to 150 ft circle of each position first.. Oh and never hunt the enfield because its the fastest way to get kicked out of the park forever and everyone else. I almost for got, Look for the different paths to the consession stand for both teams..

*** ever hunt the enfield because its the fastest way to get kicked out of the park forever and everyone else.***

What is the issue with detecting the infield? Just wondering.

Ask any person in the parks dept. what their reaction would be if they saw someone digging especially with a shovel . The amount of work making it flat, special dirt to make it hard and smooth. I've been told several times at different parks its ok to hunt the park but no shovels anywhere and stay off the infields.Missouri parks has a rule called the no dig rule nothing larger than a screwdriver can be used but its not enforced that much. I was given permission after being watched several time that I can use my digger and cut a plug because they saw me using a drop cloth and when I'm finished you couldn't tell I've been there. They said as long as you do it and respect the parks its ok but we have had some who don't and thats the reason for the rule. I've been watched by park rangers more than once and even by cops for long periods of time but once they see what I'm doing they will come up and talk to me and they have always been very nice about it.I like it when I've got their blessing to hunt. And yes I've seen where others have left their signs behind.

This old baseball field I was asking about hasn't been used in probably 50 years. In fact there is no evidence of it still even being a baseball field anymore. I did research and found out from some old timers that remembered it. The backstop is gone and even the basepaths are gone. It's just a grass lot that is now privately owned but I got permission. Thanks for all the replies guys and HH.