Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question! Is the E-Trac really the best coin detector?

Well I'll be the first to admit, I completely forgot about turning 90 degrees to check... It's been a couple years since I detected. Any way I will reincorporate that back into my swing
2 tone ferrous will call most all nails iron for you....Sometimes a new user has to use TTF until they can hear the different sounds in multi tone conduct.....
Sounds are great to learn and a lot of people hunt by sound...but a new user is sometimes overwhelmed by all the multi tones coming at them from the eTrac.

2 tone ferrous will call most all nails iron for you....Sometimes a new user has to use TTF until they can hear the different sounds in multi tone conduct.....
Sounds are great to learn and a lot of people hunt by sound...but a new user is sometimes overwhelmed by all the multi tones coming at them from the eTrac.
Great advice. I'll give ttf a try hopefully this afternoon.

I really like ttf but I run an open screen because I want to hear everything and it slows me down enough to check all the numbers and I think that's how I have success.
Happy hunting

I really like ttf but I run an open screen because I want to hear everything and it slows me down enough to check all the numbers and I think that's how I have success.
Happy hunting
(QUOTE)
If you are someone who believes in routinely digging everything, you will dig a lot of low-value targets…
per hour of detecting which means, overall… you will dig considerably LESS high-value targets. The flawed
logic used to justify digging everything is, I might miss something good. The truth is… you will miss
“something good” if you dig everything… a lot of “somethings good,” in fact. You will spend most of your
time digging low-value targets when, if you ignored them, you would find more high-value targets by the end
of the hunt than you would have.

Don't dig questionable targets, dig positive targets. Save time and save your knees.

(QUOTE)
If you are someone who believes in routinely digging everything, you will dig a lot of low-value targets…
per hour of detecting which means, overall… you will dig considerably LESS high-value targets. The flawed
logic used to justify digging everything is, I might miss something good. The truth is… you will miss
“something good” if you dig everything… a lot of “somethings good,” in fact. You will spend most of your
time digging low-value targets when, if you ignored them, you would find more high-value targets by the end
of the hunt than you would have.

Don't dig questionable targets, dig positive targets. Save time and save your knees.
I guess I didn't make myself very clear, no I do not dig everything, far from it.
I do an open screen so I can hear everything to help prevent nulling over good targets. And many times I have picked out high tones in the middle of low tone trash ( thanks to the open screen) .
The open screen makes me go slower and when I hear a high tone I look at the numbers to determine whether I want to dig or not. We have to remember the good target numbers, right?
The flawed logic in my opinion is running any pattern while using TTF.
To each their own, my knees are ok but not the lower back.

I guess I didn't make myself very clear, no I do not dig everything, far from it.
I do an open screen so I can hear everything to help prevent nulling over good targets. And many times I have picked out high tones in the middle of low tone trash ( thanks to the open screen) .
The open screen makes me go slower and when I hear a high tone I look at the numbers to determine whether I want to dig or not. We have to remember the good target numbers, right?
The flawed logic in my opinion is running any pattern while using TTF.
To each their own, my knees are ok but not the lower back.
Watch out....Sometimes....even the very deep coins will null on an etrac....and not come thru as a good target...coins on the edge of the detectors limits may not
be processed right by the etrac and come in as a null, especially in an area where you are digging very deep coins , even a null is a possible good target.
Experienced hunters sometimes get surprised.

Last edited:
Watch out....Sometimes....even the very deep coins will null on an etrac....and not come thru as a good target...coins on the edge of the detectors limits may not
be processed right by the etrac and come in as a null, especially in an area where you are digging very deep coins , even a null is a possible good target.
TTF has limits of a 1 to 17 high tone and a low tone on targets 18 to 35.... deep targets often go higher numbers than 17 fe and give low tones....keep your eyes on the screen.

I might be alone on this but about 95% of my hunting is by sound. I do
look at the screen before I dig and don’t get fooled often but a rusty bent nail stills gets me once in a great awhile. Lol I still think for deep Indians and silver an Etrac is tough to beat. For all the guys that say it’s heavy this is true but a swingy harness takes pretty much all the weight off and is very easy to disconnect to dig. Best money I ever spent. One month into a shoulder surgery now I will definitely need it this summer. Good hunting everybody and keep throwing ideas around it’s all appreciated.

Generally speaking when using TTF ( in trashy areas) depth is not the greatest concern it's working between the trash that's the goal and even though I have found some deep targets in TTF it was when it wasn't as trashy.
I have been swinging the etrac long enough to know that the fe number can be quite higher at times too.
And reminders on this information is always good to try to keep our wits sharp.

Generally speaking when using TTF ( in trashy areas) depth is not the greatest concern it's working between the trash that's the goal and even though I have found some deep targets in TTF it was when it wasn't as trashy.
I have been swinging the etrac long enough to know that the fe number can be quite higher at times too.
And reminders on this information is always good to try to keep our wits sharp.
Your thoughts are appreciated and any help with new users is always welcome.

Great Point Elmy. Once you realize what it is telling you and unlock the power of the audio, unmasking & IDing ability at depth, it won't let you down.
People often ask me, do you dig a lot of trash? and I tell them, not really.. I chase a lot of deep iffy targets but because the etrac gives so much target information, there is a pretty fair chance it will
end up being a good old target. It is more fun spending my time and energy digging good targets versus alot of junk.
Dave

Most try to overthink the etrac ...If you do, you will have a lot of trouble using it.

Great Point Elmy. Once you realize what it is telling you and unlock the power of the audio, unmasking & IDing ability at depth, it won't let you down.
People often ask me, do you dig a lot of trash? and I tell them, not really.. I chase a lot of deep iffy targets but because the etrac gives so much target information, there is a pretty fair chance it will
end up being a good old target. It is more fun spending my time and energy digging good targets versus alot of junk.
Dave
Exactly.....once learned.....you don't have to dig all that junk as stated in the above post #66....the etrac will ID and unmask coins in iron/trash at great depths with an unforgettable tone....once it has been learned and applied using multi tone conduct. TTF does not have the tone or ability to unmask as well at depth, even with an open screen.

Exactly.....once learned.....you don't have to dig all that junk as stated in the above post #66....the etrac will ID and unmask coins in iron/trash at great depths with an unforgettable tone....once it has been learned and applied using multi tone conduct. TTF does not have the tone or ability to unmask as well at depth, even with an open screen.
I have to disagree with that comment, running Conduct with a pattern in trash/iron will get you a lot of nulling which will mask good targets that are shallow so good luck on deep targets. I'm not saying that you couldn't fish one out but you will definitely be missing a lot of good targets.