Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question on getting the basic deus II without remote to start with

azsh07

So money is always, for me, an issue in retirement especially on detectors. However I want to upgrade to a deus 11 for several reasons that this machine offers. Been detecting for 40 years so I have a firm grasp on my needs etc.
With that said , if I get the basic setup meaning just the puck style controller and not the setup with the larger remote….do you loose any functionality using the smaller puck controller. I plan on getting the larger remote later but as money is tight I wouldn’t mind splitting it this way. However if there is some significant loss in say menus etc I would just wait on it.
I never have found a video explaining this difference so I will pose it here.

If you wait to buy the remote you will be paying more because when you buy the D2 and remote the WS6 comes with it. The remote has more features , and two more programs than the WS6. The WS6 has no backlight and difficult to see unless u have the wrist strap . However I use the WS6 way more than the remote. I also started with the 9” coil but bought the 11” and haven’t used the 9” since. Either way your finds will increase with the D2 it has lightening response and being light weight allows u to hunt longer, practically go on the fly because it is so compact, easy to set up etc.

If you wait to buy the remote you will be paying more because when you buy the D2 and remote the WS6 comes with it. The remote has more features , and two more programs than the WS6. The WS6 has no backlight and difficult to see unless u have the wrist strap . However I use the WS6 way more than the remote. I also started with the 9” coil but bought the 11” and haven’t used the 9” since. Either way your finds will increase with the D2 it has lightening response and being light weight allows u to hunt longer, practically go on the fly because it is so compact, easy to set up etc.
Cool….although the cost of the basic puck setup and then adding the remote later is the same as buying the complete setup actually. I don’t have the bigger bucks I did when I was working…🤬
Basically I need the lighter weight…the ability to have a more compact setup when it’s is slid down for my ebike….and mainly better iron separation

Understandable. I had a scooter and a mount on the luggage carrier for the D2. It was great and cheap on gas too. Than after Covid the law got slack and traffic laws ignored like crazy so I sold the scooter. Too many people running red lights. Safer in my truck. Be careful out there. HH

I use it on old tote dirt roads closed to vehicles….just have to listen for the crazy dudes on atv but I can hear them coming long way off.

As far as raw ability of the WS6 master which you are considering vs the full remote size setup…non. The puck is a bit more difficult to navigate at first but after several times through the unit it will be fine. The full size remote is nice to have if you want to make constant adjustments to programs in the field but even then…once you know the menu layout it’s not difficult. If you’re concerned with the WS6 master being waterproof, it is NOT. So no going under water with it. If you search “metal detecting skill school” on YouTube, Gary Blackwell has some excellent videos on getting around the remote and WS6. Others are out there as well but to me, his seem to be the easiest to connect with.

So money is always, for me, an issue in retirement especially on detectors. However I want to upgrade to a deus 11 for several reasons that this machine offers. Been detecting for 40 years so I have a firm grasp on my needs etc.
With that said , if I get the basic setup meaning just the puck style controller and not the setup with the larger remote….do you loose any functionality using the smaller puck controller. I plan on getting the larger remote later but as money is tight I wouldn’t mind splitting it this way. However if there is some significant loss in say menus etc I would just wait on it.
I never have found a video explaining this difference so I will pose it here.

Attachments

• IMG_2561.png
    IMG_2561.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2562.png
    IMG_2562.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 56
Understandable. I had a scooter and a mount on the luggage carrier for the D2. It was great and cheap on gas too. Than after Covid the law got slack and traffic laws ignored like crazy so I sold the scooter. Too many people running red lights. Safer in my truck. Be careful out there. H
When people run red lights that is crazy. That is why I have a three second rule when my light turn green, to make sure everyone stops. I ride a E bike with a dog trailer in tow to some of the local parks, saves a lot of gas thru the week.

It looks like XP has updated the notches on the WS6. It now supports 3 notches like the remote control. The WS6 does lack the ground level mineralization graph. I have been considering getting the WS6 Master and that is the only thing I have noticed that isn't documented already.

FWIW, I have the complete setup with the remote, and I'll often stash the remote in my pocket/finds pouch and just listen to the audio anyway. Often, I find I actually dig more that way by taking chances on targets that sound good but are a little jumpy on the numbers.

It is somewhat harder to make adjustments to programs with just the WS6, so if you're someone who likes to constantly tweak settings, you might want the remote from the start. Otherwise, you won't lose much by just going for the WS6 master (heck, you might actually find more good stuff by focusing more on the audio and less on the TIDs/settings).

HolzHammer Sagas, one of my favorite Youtube THers, uses his Deus 2 by just listening to audio through the WS6 master setup, and he does very well (being in the UK helps, too, but that's beside the point):

He previously used the original Deus without the remote/audio only, I believe.

FWIW, I have the complete setup with the remote, and I'll often stash the remote in my pocket/finds pouch and just listen to the audio anyway. Often, I find I actually dig more that way by taking chances on targets that sound good but are a little jumpy on the numbers.

It is somewhat harder to make adjustments to programs with just the WS6, so if you're someone who likes to constantly tweak settings, you might want the remote from the start. Otherwise, you won't lose much by just going for the WS6 master (heck, you might actually find more good stuff by focusing more on the audio and less on the TIDs/settings).

HolzHammer Sagas, one of my favorite Youtube THers, uses his Deus 2 by just listening to audio through the WS6 master setup, and he does very well (being in the UK helps, too, but that's beside the point):

He previously used the original Deus without the remote/audio only, I believe.
I generally go by audio most of the time….i don’t wear my glasses detecting so I can see anything much unless it’s within 14” of my face so the W6 on the wrist will be fine. After oh 40 years detecting I tired of too many adjustments to fiddle with. Loved all the top end detectors but like the Whites XLT or DFX etc I just spent too much time in menus….no thanks….😂
I’m relic hunt only here in Maine so if it isn’t iron or an iffy iron I’m digging anyway so spending time watching a meter never really changed my mind to dig or not it just delayed the inevitable

well said later down the road you could probably pick up a used D2 controller the update will at least give you the big numbers
which I feel should be on every program as soon as you turn on the detector.
Or you could buy the detector and the less expensive wireless headphones
Mark