Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

QUESTION ON KEY DATE COINS

diggervance

Let me ask a question on key date coins how many have you guys found in your years of hunting.

I have only found 2

1924 D WHEAT
1908 S INDIAN HEAD PENNY

THE LAST FEW HUNTS I HAVE BEEN ALL AROUND THEM GETTING THE YEARS JUST NOT THE MINT MARK

I look forward to hearing about yours

D.V.

Depends on what you call key dates

1908-s, 1909-s IH (missing 1877) , 22 no D wheat, strong reverse, 24-D wheat, (still missing 1909-s, 1909s VDB, 1914-d), 1916-d merc, 1892-O half

May have to dig out the collection and refresh my memory. Pretty much have IH, Wheats, and several other coin folders full of MD found only coins. That is really getting to be a rare occasion when I fill in an empty spots.

chris

keys might be great and they are but if in poor grades are just another coin , finding a key in XF or better would be a better question?

and yes a few keys but no high grades which blows but that's detecting...

Pick up a copy of United States Coins by R S Yeoiman. They put out a new one every year. It gives a ton of information about U S Coins. The lower the number coins minted the more valuable.

I've only found one but it was a good one, 1895 O Barber dime. My wife has found 2 1931S wheats, a 1914D wheat, several 1911S semi keys.

utmike said:
I've only found one but it was a good one, 1895 O Barber dime. My wife has found 2 1931S wheats, a 1914D wheat, several 1911S semi keys.

Nice one. What does the Barber grade at?

We don't have many REAL old coins here in my area in the PNW, but have a good number of S and D mint marks to help make up for that.
My best coin is probably my 1921 D Mercury Dime In EF condition... I also found 1901 S Barber dime and a few other semi key date dimes too...
I have found a good number of key and semi key date wheat pennies, the best being a real nice 1931S.
I have multiples of the 10 through 15 S wheats that all are worth decent money.
In fact the only wheats I have not found are the 1909 S and 1909 S VDB, 1914D and the 1922 No D.
It funny how I'm driven by silver but the Wheat pennies are where most of the value comes from.

I didn't get to do much coin hunting this year so nothing real rare coin wise yet.
Life kind of got in the way so I'm looking forward to hitting it hard again next year in hopes of finding a few more key dates not yet found.

Bryan

It would be pushing it to grade it as good, so honestly its AG. Still a few hundred bucks in value I am tol by a local dealer.

utmike said:
It would be pushing it to grade it as good, so honestly its AG. Still a few hundred bucks in value I am tol by a local dealer.

Just finding one is astounding. Congrats!

1877 indian and 1793 flowing hair large cent both on same hunt at a spot i had hunted many many times prior. while not key date i also found an 1833 bust dime and 1854 three cent piece on same hunt.. coin wise it was a magical day.. 1805 half cent,small 5..

So far this year there's been a 1909 S Wheat, 1922 no D "Plain", 1901 S Barber dime (VF-XF condition), 1893 O Barber half, and a 1926 S Merc in F condition

Last year was another 1909 S Wheat, all 1910-1920 D and S mint coins except the 1914 D Wheat, 1920 D Merc in uncirculated condition, 1892 S Barber dime, 1932 S quarter, and a 1917 T2 Standing Liberty quarter.

Things have tapered off but I plan on getting a 9" HF coil for the Deus for our hot soil - should be interesting to say the least! :angel: