Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question on settings for XLT or DFX for beach hunting

mrdestructo

I just received a White's XLT and a White's DFX from a friend and was wondering about wet sand detecting. I haven't been to the beach to test them since I live in the mountains of PA. I know they make detectors for wet sand detecting and some detectors can't go in it because of the mineralization. I don't know if the XLT or the DFX can go in wet sand or not on factory settings but I was wondering if they could and if they can't then is there any different settings that could be used on the XLT or the DFX for wet sand detecting without it falsing?

I've been a Whites user/owner since 1986 and have both the XLT and DFX (PI Pro, Classic ID, Fisher CZ20 also ). Forget the XLT on the wet sand. The DFX will have no problems going from dry to wet sand on a saltwater beach. Make sure you disassemble and rinse (with fresh water) the lower rod, coil and fasteners after saltwater exposure.
Without getting into too much detail - there are plenty of tweaks you can try but a double D coil will offer better performance on the wet salt (the stock 950 is fine though). You need to understand the DFX (Digging Deeper - Jeff Foster) and practice the setting changes over a mature test garden one increment at a time to really learn the unit. For starters in all situations I open up the discriminator accepting -40 to +95, run tone ID, VCO on, (silly icons OFF!), modulation off, sweep speed 1, and tune for each site with my focus on the preamp gain first then AC sens...also I usually run the DC sense pretty hot to pinpoint deeper items with ease. On Cape Cod Ma. beaches I can run at preamp gain #3 and AC sens 75 without false and erratic behavior with ht e14" DD coil. CT beaches have more minerals to deal with so back to tuning for each site.
I've been off the treasure forums for a long time and am using my girlfriends PC (DFX is out in the trunk of my car though) and just decided to re-register here. Saw your post and thought no sense in hauling the XLT to the shore when it freaks on the wet salt beach.
Hope this helps a little...but get the book.

Must be some good friend.If you head to the beach probably lake Erie fresh water.They don't run so good on beach use smaller coil you get about 6 inches or more open up discrimination to maybe -10 to get smaller earnings two tone seems at time to work better than tone id .It seems if it hasn't rained for a while and sand is dry it runs better.You might want to ground balance and then turn auto track off here the iron mineral content is high on mxt it vids at 89 with 9 inch coil.The xlt is a good machine find a lot of items on land but a little tough in sand.You could try ajusting some of these programs at this site for beach http://66.51.97.78/jb/programm.html.This program worked a little for me with ajustments hope this helped some.

The DFX all the way, using the Beach and jewelry program. You will want to up the preamp to at least 3. That should give you all the depth you would want on the wet sand. For more info on using the DFX, go to the DFX forum and search the forum using "beach hunting" in the search field.