Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

question on settings

etracjoe

Jimzilla and I and a friend of ours with the Etrac went to a heavily hit trashy park today. They did pretty darn good considering but I was lacking in the finds department. Jim tried to help me out with the settings but I am baffled as to why this worked. I have pattern set up in open screen, combined, high trash, deep on fast off gain at max and the threshhold at max and volume at max. The reason I am baffled is the threshhold is really all it took to make the deeper targets stand out. I had all the other settings the way stated above all day except threshold. I thought the threshold was only supposed to be barely audible? Help would be much appreciated. Now I wonder if my Etrac was set up right?? Thanks and HH Joe

heavy trash

run a bit more discrimination go slow listen hard, stock coin program is ok.

deep off fast on.

back the gain off a few numbers

threshold just so you can hear it or a tad more, run ferrous coin it will give you more stable numbers and dig everything machine said to dig.

sure others will do it diff but try it out see how you go?

...You were drowning out the deeper and probably some not so deep targets. Even though your gain adn voluem are maxed, targets may be struggling to break through the threshold volume.

Set threshold just to a point that you can hear it. Then all the targets will jump out at you.

just my 2 cents

Ron (CA)

I tihnk you'll need t elaborate a little more. Was your threshold barely audible before or after Jim made the changes. If Jim turned it down to barely audible it makes sense but if Jim set it to maximum volume it should have drowned out deeper targets (and probalby a lot of shallower ones).

He wasnt getting deeper targets with the threshold down to barely audible. I run my threshold at max all the time. DEEP ON enhances the deeper signals and drowns out the shallow stuff. In my opinion this park was not trashy at all. Many places I hit have way more trash. I think Joe is used to woods hunting LOL. Ferrous-coin in my opinion is not good in my area. You get a constant VDI reading and the numbers are all over the place. Im hunting in open screen with MANUAL 25-30 at times and my machine for the most part is stable.

That seems all wrong to me, but hey, use what works for you.

I don't understand running threshold at max either. Are you confusing threshold with some other setting? Look on page 23 of the manual to see how threshold should be set.

http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/90213/4901-0117-1%20IM%20CTX%203030%20EN.pdf

I set my threshold at 30 threshold pitch at 24, volume gain at 30 and volume limit at 30. I hunted that way with the etrac as well. I still hear the deep signals cause they are always above the threshold sound.

I just looked at my threshold. Default is 30. Max is 50. So, at 30 it is just into the audible level.

Larry (IL) said:
That seems all wrong to me, but hey, use what works for you.

Im with you Larry hahahah. My threshold is at 16 that for me is where I barely hear it...maybe cause I skipped out on front row Metallica concerts.

Jim....your last statement in a nutshell really makes it make sense to me now. Jim is saying from what I understand that the machine being maxed on everything else still makes the tones punch through the threshold. And believe me I heard and seen it with my own eyes and couldnt believe it. But what I couldn't figure out and am still having a little trouble is that why does the threshold being maxed actually make the deeper fainter targets sound better? I was getting a more repeatable better sound with it set like this. It goes against everything I've read and heard but I witnessed it and it works. And your right Jim....this park is not real trashy but it does have allot of iron. And I also have to agree with Jim on the ferrous coin setting.......where we are here in NY if that makes any difference there are always vdi numbers popping up all over the place with and without tones in that setting. And I mean every swing. I have set my machine up all kinds of ways so far and Jim's way so far works the best for me and opens up the older layers under my coil. Before setting it this way 6 inch targets were about all I could pull out of a 250 year old peice of property thats had public use since 1891 as a park in the center of a buisy town.

Joe back in the old days of MDing you had to go real slow and listen for a whisper to get those deep (back then 4") signals. SO it made more sense to keep the threshold at a minimum. Nowadays with more sophisticated technology we are able to enhance the signal in different ways. The prior post mentions the threshold max is 50 so we operating about 60%. I have never heard a "faint" signal from my Etrac or CTX. My deeper 10" coins, although few, still come in pretty strong. Looking forward to detecting tomm weather permitting

I hear ya man me too......You and Russ were killing that park today!! Like I said....if I didnt see it for myself I wouldnt believe it. You prolly do not even need a threshold come to think of it with an open screen but who knows. I guess thats what this is all for to try new ideas and see what works best. Hope to see you tomorrow HH Joe

If I am understanding these settings correctly isn't the machine constantly screaming very loud? what pitch do you have the threshold set to??
GL&HH

NO its actually not screaming IMO. My pitch is set at 24...I believe the OP is also set at 24 but the pitch is just the sound it makes. A weaker hum versus a higher pitched hum..

jimzilla said:
NO its actually not screaming IMO. My pitch is set at 24...I believe the OP is also set at 24 but the pitch is just the sound it makes. A weaker hum versus a higher pitched hum..
what does OP mean?

I dont remember my pitch but yes very loud.....but it works well.....just wish my GG no down times were not taking down time so I could tune it down a bit. LOL. Try it out sometime with lower headphone volume and see how well for yourself that those normally deep sorta iffy targets really pop out and have a better reapeatable tonal quality to them. My pitch I believe is at factory setting whatever that is.....its out in the car now.

There's a mis-print in the CTX manual.---It states max threshold level at 30 when it is actually 50 max (same as Etrac).

Jim I think max is 50 on threshhold so if they are saying max everything but pitch I think 50 is what they are talking about. I guess I will try 50 tonight if thats not the cash or i loose my hearing due to the volume comming through I will back it down to 30.

We are running threshold at 30