Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question: will the Equinox have to be sent to a service center to replace the battery?

Just read where a guy in UK reported that ML on their FB page said the NOX is Unservicable---will replace if warrenty hasn't expired,but after that "oh it's cryin' time".

Greg (E.Tn) said:
Some say yes, but I haven’t seen an official answer yet.

This has been up in the air & SO much has gone by since Sept. I questioned it way back. IIRC someone at ML
had said they will be user changeable BUT the details had not been worked out yet. That was prob Oct or Nov.
The hitch is this. The control head halves is held together with either glue or claws. There are NO screws to hold it together.
The BP is in the grip. If not held together with screws it also uses glue or claws.
If glued you have to break it to fix it. This means you need the cosmetic parts & right glue to replace batteries.
If clawed it must have a gasket & you will probably damage it ( gasket & or "cabinet" ) prying it apart.
I havnt read the manual yet so check there especially under "WARRANTY" ............
Other than that ask ML about it.

BTW #1 I could be completely wrong. ML if you release a definate statement about this it will stop speculation.
BTW # 2 If you have an EQ please let us know how its put together !!!

HH
Tom
LFOD !

No official release but..
Page 8 in the downloadable manual states - Replacement batteries can be supplied AND installed by an authorised service centre.
end quote I have never had much for issues with minelab batteries so I personally am not concerned :cool:
Laplander

Well does anuone know of any machine we cant replace the batteries on. Would you not like a positive on this before you buy.....id like some prices as well and a more defiant as to when they are going to be available. This is a real short coming and shouldn be happening...... if its a sales tactic... I think its in poor taste this late in the game. The machine appears to be great..... but its stuff like this that leads us to mistrust.

What I "heard" is " the only serviceable parts on the Minelab Equinox, are the battery itself, the coil, and the shaft. So long as the machine is under warranty, Minelab will service these items under warranty, and will replace the housing, because the housing has to be cracked open after being sealed, to get at the battery.

However, in the case of a bad battery, the entire housing would have to be sent to a service center. Of course, the warranty would cover this, but the $64.00 question is, how much would it cost to replace the battery AFTER the warranty has run out?

Laplander: I appreciate your confidence in the minelab batteries, and that confidence goes a long way to allay my concerns. I agree that potential battery issues will probably be few and far between.

I guess the only thing we can do is buy one, hope for the best, and go from there.

If anyone has "juice" with Minelab, maybe they could forward these concerns, and ask if Minelab would consider offering extended warranties to cover replacing the battery.

I sincerely hope that Minelab will work with some place like Batteries Plus Bulbs, because Minelab's service centers are crap. Some detectorists have waited as long as seven months to get their detectors back when in for repair. Batteries Plus Bulbs can now replace all of Apple's phone and iPad batteries, so I think that would be a good source for Minelab to get their batteries replaced. I also think it is a serious flaw if you have to break out some glue to get the handle open to replace the battery--that is a major design mistake. Finally, how about the batteries in the headsets--Can the user replace those, as they will probably need replacement more often than the detector battery.

I had used the hell out of my deus for 6 years and never had a battery issue its still going strong. I dont understand why replacing the battery is such an issue. Most people will never have to touch the battery, new battery tech is so good.

spellman said:
I had used the hell out of my deus for 6 years and never had a battery issue its still going strong. I dont understand why replacing the battery is such an issue. Most people will never have to touch the battery, new battery tech is so good.

Some batteries are good, and some are not so good. I had my Deus for four years and had to replace the battery in my nine inch LF coil. It wouldn't hold a charge for very long. You just never know when the battery will fail. And, if the housing has to be cracked open, on the NOX, to change the battery, I certainly wouldn't want to do that and take the chance that I might not get it sealed correctly. This, for me, would be a Minelab service fix, especially if a warranty came with the repair.

Cos said:
I sincerely hope that Minelab will work with some place like Batteries Plus Bulbs, because Minelab's service centers are crap. Some detectorists have waited as long as seven months to get their detectors back when in for repair. Batteries Plus Bulbs can now replace all of Apple's phone and iPad batteries, so I think that would be a good source for Minelab to get their batteries replaced. I also think it is a serious flaw if you have to break out some glue to get the handle open to replace the battery--that is a major design mistake. Finally, how about the batteries in the headsets--Can the user replace those, as they will probably need replacement more often than the detector battery.

Cos -- it would be a great idea IMO for Minelab to work with places like "Batteries Plus," to facilitate battery changes.

One thing I wanted to say, though, is that the idea of Minelab Service Centers being "crap," may be an outdated statement. Minelab, last fall, changed their service provider, and have a new service/repair center set up in Pennsylvania. Early online reviews on this new center -- along with my own personal experience with them in handling a service issue on my old Explorer -- have been VERY positive. Turn-around time is DAYS, now, in general, not months. So, hopefully, the horror stories are a thing of the past and Minelab actually recognized the issue -- prompting the change in how they "do business" on the service/repair side.

Finally, I understand your thoughts that it's a "design mistake," on having the battery sealed inside the unit. But I think the way the Equinox battery is "sealed," is due to all the problems they had on the CTX and its detachable battery, and subsequent issues with water leakage into the battery compartment forcing many, costly repairs to be needed. From a "lessons learned" perspective, it seems to me that they are trying to maintain "waterproof" integrity of the Equinox, and sealing the battery inside the unit's handle is the route they are trying now, apparently. Let's hope that they have a good plan for the "other end" of this process, also -- i.e. easy, quick, inexpensive battery replacement. IF the "sealed" battery compartment maintains better waterproof integrity, AND the battery change process several years down the road is quick, inexpensive, and painless, then Minelab will have done well, in my opinion. On the other hand, if water leakage into the unit is still an issue on the 'Nox, and/or it is time-consuming and expensive to have the battery replaced, then that is NOT good, and I am sure they will take appropriate heat for it...

Steve

This is just one reason I don't like the equinox. Sealing in batteries then making it a pain in the ass to repair them is a good way to get me to never use your product again. Cause when it dies you are left with a lemon, this actually should fall under the lemon law here in the us cause they know its defective yet continue to sell it knowing it will break down and chances are you wont be able to do anything about it.

A disposable Equinox surely in the 21st century that cant be the case.

Must be just another anti Equinox rumour.:blink:Jerry.

Much depends if the control housing is glued or screwed. Prizing apart a glued together control box without damaging it is tricky. Mobile phones are a good example. The battery would be easy to change if the housing is screwed.

Obviously, I can’t speak on the Equinox but the CTX 3030 Battery Pac & WM 10 batteries can be easily replaced since they are not built into the body of the machine. Cheap batteries are available on eBay! Check out CTX Prospector’s videos on UTube.

The manual says- "Even with correct care and maintenance, Lithium-ion battery
performance reduces over time with normal use. Therefore the
battery may need to be replaced every few years. Replacement
batteries can be supplied and installed by an Authorised Service Centre." Their spelling haha

UK spelling..

Some think its no big deal & for some reason want the subject DROPPED.
Problem is I KEEP things. My clock radio needed a NiCad back up about 10 yrs ago.
It is a Zenith "Circle of Sound" R472 made in the late 70's. Soldered in but no big deal, it was my trade.
My concern is how much to ship the EQ both ways insured for $900 then add the parts & labor.
Down time is also a concern to many.
I am not too worried about the new ASC, reports are they are fast & surprisingly inexpensive.
I am not worried about ML's choice of batteries either. I dont think they are fools that will cheap
out to save 75 cents per unit.
IMHO it shouldnt be a deal killer. After all you can always clip a power pack to your belt.

Tom
LFOD !

TomNH said:
Some think its no big deal & for some reason want the subject DROPPED.
Problem is I KEEP things. My clock radio needed a NiCad back up about 10 yrs ago.
It is a Zenith "Circle of Sound" R472 made in the late 70's. Soldered in but no big deal, it was my trade.
My concern is how much to ship the EQ both ways insured for $900 then add the parts & labor.
Down time is also a concern to many.
I am not too worried about the new ASC, reports are they are fast & surprisingly inexpensive.
I am not worried about ML's choice of batteries either. I dont think they are fools that will cheap
out to save 75 cents per unit.
IMHO it shouldnt be a deal killer. After all you can always clip a power pack to your belt.

Tom
LFOD !

1. You won't have to send the machine in, just the control housing, it comes off the handle. Loosen 4 screws and your done. Shipping something that small and light, won't be that expensive.
If it's under warranty, you only pay shipping one way. As far as labor, looking at how fast you can get the housing off, I bet it's less than 30 minutes labor. I can't say anything about the battery cost. The guys at the new repair center are fast!! Sent my CTX in, round trip 12 days.
I think folks are making much a do about nothing. My CTX was almost 3 years old and still holding a very good charge. Personally I don't see a problem.