Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Quick review of the new 12x15 (white) SEF Coil *With 2 Firsts*

[attachment 228438 2012-04-01_170849.jpg]
Hee, Hee.

today i did some more tests on the sef coil...10x12 white model...i switched back and forth from d2 to sef..every time i tested the sef coil i could max out rx gain to 15, disc at 92 and am at 75...signal never went over 12.9% and noise was 1.9%.. i cant figure why it was so high yesterday???? maybe emi??? today it was lower than my d2 and my buddies 6x10.. wtf? anyone with more sense than i have an answer? lol oh and i am having the best silver year ever!! since i bought the vx3 ive found 30 or more silver coins and 3 sterling rings...2 silver half dollars. thats been since last week of december..

Bill,

Mine seems to have issues with EMI. If I am in a noisy environment my numbers don't look so hot. Out at the park, or in a field, the signal and noise numbers are very low. Might just be the nature of the beast for these coils.

basstrackerman said:
today i did some more tests on the sef coil...10x12 white model...i switched back and forth from d2 to sef..every time i tested the sef coil i could max out rx gain to 15, disc at 92 and am at 75...signal never went over 12.9% and noise was 1.9%.. i cant figure why it was so high yesterday???? maybe emi??? today it was lower than my d2 and my buddies 6x10.. wtf? anyone with more sense than i have an answer? lol oh and i am having the best silver year ever!! since i bought the vx3 ive found 30 or more silver coins and 3 sterling rings...2 silver half dollars. thats been since last week of december..

It could be temperature sensitive.... The forum has seen this before a couple different occasions. Sef or dtec now makes them in white trying mitigate that problem, it is not the complete solution. They need a foam change or go with a epoxy pour but that adds weight.

Sounds good to me. If I wasn't so poor I'd get one.

Hi Everybody,

I have several coils for my V3i, I think that my original D2 is defective, I have used it only four times, after the bad results with the D2 I decided to use the SEF 10x12 Black version, I also have the new SEF 12x15 White version, I have been using the last one with very good results.

Could somebody help me to identify if my original D2 is defective?

The results of the different coils with the V3i sensitivity probe active show me that:
v3icoils00023.jpg

SEF 6x8 Black
v3icoils00019.jpg
v3icoils00018.jpg
v3icoils00017.jpg
v3icoils00016.jpg

SEF 10x12 Black
v3icoils00010.jpg
v3icoils00009.jpg
v3icoils00008.jpg
v3icoils00007.jpg
v3icoils00006.jpg

SEF 12x15 White
v3icoils00005.jpg
v3icoils00004.jpg
v3icoils00003.jpg
v3icoils00002.jpg
v3icoils00001.jpg

D2 10" Whites Original
v3icoils00015.jpg
v3icoils00014.jpg
v3icoils00013.jpg
v3icoils00012.jpg
v3icoils00011.jpg

All photos were took with V3i at 22.5 Khz.

Thanks !!!

Yep, I think a call to White's is in order on the D2. Nice numbers on the SEF coils.

Finally got my replacement 12x15 this morning. Decided to go out for an hour or two before the storm rolls in for the rest of the weekend.

I took the coil to the same field I used the previous coil. First thing I noticed is that it is more stable. I ran it pretty comfortably at 8/70/90 and never really messed with the settings much. If I went to rx 10 it was a little bit more chirpy, but not terribly so (and this field has a decent amount of EMI as it is boxed in by overhead power lines).

I ran the sensativity probe for comparison, and the numbers were a bit higher than my other coil. The signal at 8/70/90 was 22.2% with a noise of 2%, vs about 13% with the old coil.

The second big test with the coil was turning it on at my house. With the previous one I really couldn't de-tune it enough to make it usable in or around the house. With the replacement I could run 8/70/88 without any issues as long as I got about 20 feet away from my garage.

I think this guy is a keeper now.

-Hodr

Been watching this thread. Yesterday with the white 12x10" SEF, Rx 10, All metal 76, Disc sens 92 my signal % = 6, noise was 1.3% to 3.0% depending how close I was to some power lines. I like the coil except in areas the webbing gets tangled on brush. The D2 works well for me but if I'm in a large area without a "carpet of trash" the extra coverage of the SEF helps to make up for a slower pace the 5kHz filters require. I'm happy with my V3i and so much has come together since October when I first used it.
HH!