Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

RE: Screen issue update

rluka

CTX3030.jpg

Just want to say that I was here at the very beginning when the CTX3030 came out. I was probably one of the first here in Canada to purchase this detector.

Unfortunately, as some of you may remember there were some issues that had to be corrected. I for one had a screen that was un-readable because of the rainbow

effect. I sent the detector in and was given a new one. Shortly after receiving it I started to get the rainbow effect again but this time was told that it is

normal and they all had it and I shouldnt worry about it. Then the screws all started to corrode so I had to send it in again to get that fixed. I brouht up the

screen issue and again was told that this is normal. Then the battery charger stopped working so they sent me a new only after I shipped the faulty one back. Then

the remote device stopped working so they sent me a new one after I shipped it back to them. I live on the west coast and I had to ship this back to the east coast

plus I had to pay for the shipping that was adding up. I paid full price for this detector. There were no deals back them. By the way, I think the detector is great

and is perfect for my detecting style.
I have an aqaintance that has a CTX3030 and he has never had an issue with the screen. I have talked to many over the years that have never had an issue with the

screen. My detector was out of warrant about a year ago. As you can see by the picture...there is an issue with the screen. I have always had the rainbow effect.

May or may not be a related issue.
I sent an email to Minelab stating my case and asking to have this replaced for free because it has always been an issue with the rainbow effect.

This is their response:
__________________________________________________ ________________________________

Hi Ron.
I have heard back from Minelab regarding costs. The cost would be as follows:

Replacement Control head $558.57
Labor 1 hour $80.00

Subtotal $638.57

Return shipping and tax would be extra.

Thanks

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

Sorry, but Im feeling like I have been totally ripped off. I have been a strong supporter of Minelab having owned all of the EXplorer and Excalibur series and never

had a quality control issue. I am really dissapointed in this company and I feel that I am being treated unfairly. This is a quality control problem at their end

and I dont feel like I should have to pay for it.

Ron Lukawitski

So it survived the 3 year warranty plus another year, and now you feel it's minelab's problem? I guess I should blame Ford if I have to pay for any repairs needed after my warranty expires there? Maybe I should blame Maytag because I have to have my 10 year old washer repaired?

It sucks how expensive the repair is, but the warranty is what it is. It was written out in black and white when you wanted to buy it.

I would just buy the head unit snd replace yourself. If im not mistsken, i think its the whole handle and monitor screen.

Jason in Enid said:
So it survived the 3 year warranty plus another year, and now you feel it's minelab's problem? I guess I should blame Ford if I have to pay for any repairs needed after my warranty expires there? Maybe I should blame Maytag because I have to have my 10 year old washer repaired?

It sucks how expensive the repair is, but the warranty is what it is. It was written out in black and white when you wanted to buy it.

I totally agree with you about the warranty...BUT>>>I have been strung along all these years regarding the rainbow effect and I believe that this problem is related to that........ Its flawed...Do you have the rainbow effect on your screen? Also, when I bought the detector it was supposed to be waterproof and now I have to pay for that when all I wanted in the first place was a detector that did what it claimed and worked without defects. Is that too much to ask for? Apparently, according to you..yes, it is too much to ask for...Thanks for your response
I dont like being negative about any company but I feel my rights have been stripped away and they get away with whatever they want...which is what they are doing....its not right
Have a great day
Ron L

rights?! LOL. You have the right to pay them for a non-warranty repair, or you have the right to sell it as is for whatever someone will pay. You even have the right to throw it in the trash bin if you want. Rights? I'm pretty sure if you read the owners manual that there are also manufacturer rights and obligations and they are spelled out very clearly.

You also had the "right" to do what many do, and that is to sell you detector while it still has some warranty left and buy a brand new one, because you can get almost the full price for it used for what you can haggle a brand new one for. Certainly less price difference than the cost of that non-warranty repair!

Again, you have CHOICES, but nobody is taking away your "rights". :crylol:

Sir...Do you have a CTX3030? Do you have the rainbow effect? Also, do you work for Minelab?
Im not trying to rip off Minelab. This detector is great accept for some defects and I was strung along to believe that my faulty screen was normal. I was willing to accept the way the screen was as long as it worked. Well, I believe this happened because I had a faulty screen from the very beginning and they tried to brush if off as normal. There are CTXs that dont have rainbow the effect.

rluka said:
Sir...Do you have a CTX3030? Do you have the rainbow effect? Also, do you work for Minelab?

LOL, no I don't work for minelab. What a ridiculous question. Just because I don't agree with you I must work for the company? No, I don't have a "rainbow" on my CTX, and YES I do own a CTX, and have used one since shortly after they were released.

Rluka
The screen has failed for sure. But, as far as the rainbow issue goes, it appears to me by looking at your picture that you never removed the factory temporary screen protector. Looking at your profile pic, it looks like you wear glasses and you commented a while back in January I believe that you still had the screen protector on. Polarized glasses and that factory screen protector will cause the rainbow. So, do you still have it on? I don't believe you responded back then if you did or not.

In short, I think that is what caused the rainbow effect. Which has nothing to do with the obvious failure you have now. Even if you google ctx rainbow all you find are people realizing it was the combination of glasses and factory protector

I think you have to spend the money to get it repaired.

GKMan said:
Rluka
The screen has failed for sure. But, as far as the rainbow issue goes, it appears to me by looking at your picture that you never removed the factory temporary screen protector. Looking at your profile pic, it looks like you wear glasses and you commented a while back in January I believe that you still had the screen protector on. Polarized glasses and that factory screen protector will cause the rainbow. So, do you still have it on? I don't believe you responded back then if you did or not.

In short, I think that is what caused the rainbow effect. Which has nothing to do with the obvious failure you have now. Even if you google ctx rainbow all you find are people realizing it was the combination of glasses and factory protector

There is no factory screen detector on the CTX. It has a new screen protector on it that has nothing to do with the rainbow effect. The first detector I bought was so bad that I could barely see anything on the screen and that had nothing to do with any screen protector. Explain this: The whole time I had this detector I had the rainbow effect everytime I turned it on. Now with part of the screen gone, I just turned it on and I dont have any rainbow effect. It is perfectly clear just like it should have been from the very beginning. And the screen protector is still on it (the one I put on to keep the screen from getting scratched).

Jason in Enid said:
rluka said:

LOL, no I don't work for minelab. What a ridiculous question. Just because I don't agree with you I must work for the company? No, I don't have a "rainbow" on my CTX, and YES I do own a CTX, and have used one since shortly after they were released.

No problem, I was just wondering...so you dont have the rainbow effect and I have had one all this time..whats up with that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why are you attacking me?

I would personally contact Minelab directly....spell out what happened.....and see what they do. If your in the right....they should take care of you.

rluka said:
GKMan said:
Rluka

There is no factory screen detector on the CTX. It has a new screen protector on it that has nothing to do with the rainbow effect. The first detector I bought was so bad that I could barely see anything on the screen and that had nothing to do with any screen protector. Explain this: The whole time I had this detector I had the rainbow effect everytime I turned it on. Now with part of the screen gone, I just turned it on and I dont have any rainbow effect. It is perfectly clear just like it should have been from the very beginning. And the screen protector is still on it (the one I put on to keep the screen from getting scratched).

OK, I have been here a long time and I haven't heard of the one issue being tied to the other. So many folks made the mistake of leaving that cover on which lead me to believe yours could be the same thing.
If it's like you say I would follow James advice.
If it was me, I would be pleadng my case to someone higher up in thr Minelab food chain.

rainbow effect polarized sunnies, lines on screen PCB gone , send it in they will fix it then you can keep or sell as it is its worthless as it is, so best to get fixed wont cost much be nice they might even do it for free.

AJ

Ron, I'm seriously cringing reading your story and I'm feeling your pain. A few things others should take away from this is that Minelab quality control has always been sketchy at best and customer service has never been high on their list of priorities either. Their machines are unbeatable when up and running but still ticking time bombs. A risk most of us are willing to take. This is pretty common knowledge with most long time Minelab users. Hope your machine is back up and running soon and you dig a $10K ring. JJ

rluka said:
and I dont feel like I should have to pay for it.

Ron Lukawitski

Just got a message from Minelab and they refuse to pay for the repair. When I brought this issue up years ago they deceived me into thinking that the rainbow effect wasnt a problem. If they just would have been honest with me a few years ago when I brought this up and fixed it.
I dont like running down companies but this company comes accross as being really dirty (sorry to say)....I think the CXT is a great detector but the defects should have been corrected and I should not have to pay for their mistake ... I have been a loyal customer for years and dont appreciate being treated this way.
I have been misled

Just to be clear: The first detector I received (when they first came out) had to be sent back because of the faulty screen. So, they sent me another detector with the same problem....Everytime the detector was turned there was a rainbow effect. Sometimes it was really dark and other times is light and over time moved to different parts of the screen. And now when I turn it on the screen is perfectly clear like it always should have been but unfortunately part of the screen is missing.
Ron L

Did you contact them directly?

I would respectfully ask whom you talked to at the ML Corporate Office in IL?

JamesBondaka said:
I would respectfully ask whom you talked to at the ML Corporate Office in IL?

Nadia J. Mosley
Customer Care & Executive Support Coordinator
Minelab Americas
1938 University Lane Suite A
Lisle, IL 60532
Customer Care: 1-877-767-6522
Direct: 1-630-401-8159
Fax: 1-630-401-8178
Email: nadia.mosley@minelabamericas.com