Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

RE: Screen issue update

And what did she say about your problem(s)?

JamesBondaka said:
And what did she say about your problem(s)?

I just sent her another message and I will let you know tomorrow.

Ron L

My CTX is now out of warranty so I cringe when I see a problem like this. I also have a Garrett GTA500 that is 25 years old. About 10 years ago the screen on my GTA went out. It was well beyond the warranty and Garrett replaced/upgraded the electronics at no cost because it was a known and documented defect. All I had to pay was shipping to them. I had the same problem as rluka on my CTX while it was under warranty. Even if the machine is out of warranty, the line on the screen problem is a known and well documented defect and just like an automobile, they should have a recall or just fix the problem as it arises regardless of the age of the machine.

Overvoltage said:
My CTX is now out of warranty so I cringe when I see a problem like this. I also have a Garrett GTA500 that is 25 years old. About 10 years ago the screen on my GTA went out. It was well beyond the warranty and Garrett replaced/upgraded the electronics at no cost because it was a known and documented defect. All I had to pay was shipping to them. I had the same problem as rluka on my CTX while it was under warranty. Even if the machine is out of warranty, the line on the screen problem is a known and well documented defect and just like an automobile, they should have a recall or just fix the problem as it arises regardless of the age of the machine.

My main issue is that they replaced the first defective detector with another with the same problem (rainbow effect) and told me that it was normal. I accepted it that (do I feel stupid or what) They lied to me and now I have to pay the price for that.... They should have been honest with me and dealt with it honestly. Thats what companies that value their reputation and value their customers do

Thanks for your support
Ron L

Ron...Honestly I don't think the rainbow effect has anything to do with the line on the screen. The rainbow effect is a result of the type of composite the screen is made of and the method used to mold the screen and the use of polarized glasses by the user. I have to wear NON-polarized sunglasses when I use my CTX. The black line on the screen is a quite different problem as it is a result of faulty electronics. One has nothing to do with the other. That being said, the black line on the screen is a known problem and I agree they should (as any reputable company should) make it right as it is a known problem and not something the user/owner did to create the problem.

I totally agree with Overvoltage and that's why my questions came about. I look forward to hear what Minelab says in their response.

Overvoltage said:
Ron...Honestly I don't think the rainbow effect has anything to do with the line on the screen. The rainbow effect is a result of the type of composite the screen is made of and the method used to mold the screen and the use of polarized glasses by the user. I have to wear NON-polarized sunglasses when I use my CTX. The black line on the screen is a quite different problem as it is a result of faulty electronics. One has nothing to do with the other. That being said, the black line on the screen is a known problem and I agree they should (as any reputable company should) make it right as it is a known problem and not something the user/owner did to create the problem.

Makes sense to me but what about this: when I first got the detector and the rainbow effect started, I took photos of it with a normal digital camera and it showed that effect. Minelab has those pictures on record. To my mind that rainbow effect has nothing to do with polarization if a regular camera can see it. Is that not true? I could see it with or without my glasses...it didn't make a difference

Also, before the right part of the screen disappeared there was a permanent rainbow effect that moved around the screen and changed intensity every time it was turned on. Now, when I turn it on, the screen is perfectly clear with no rainbow effect. Also, do the new screens without the rainbow effect break like this one did?

I'm not blaming the rainbow effect, I'm just saying that it would have been nice if they sent me one that didn't have that going on in the first place. I believe it was a defective screen from the very beginning.

Does all this still fit in with your explanation? You seem to know a lot more about this that I do. I'm just going by physical evidence.

Just to be clear: I am not running the detector down. This is by far my favorite detector. It finds the silver and gold for me and I am really pleased with it in that respect. And I never had any problem with helping to iron out the defects when the detector first came out. The shipping was getting a bit much but that was about all. I understand that new products sometimes have issues that have to be worked out.

Thanks for the response
Have a great day
Ron L

Ron,
With the amount of issues your detector has had, in warranty and out, I can't say I wouldn't be skeptical if I was Minelab. What issues have you had now?
Two "faulty" displays
broken wireless module
corroded screws
broken charger

These are all different parts. Sure lemons happen, but this has to be the biggest bowl of lemons I have ever heard of on this forum.

I have had my machine since they came out. The external speaker was broken right out of the box. They fixed it and I have hunted hard with it since then. If it died tomorrow (which since I am saying this it probably will) I would be happy for all the time it has worked perfectly, pay to get it fixed and move on. You would probably save yourself some anxiety by just paying them, selling it and purchasing a new one in warranty.
I understand it probably won't feel right but it would give you peace of mind for a long time since your current one is akin to a ticking time bomb.

In the meantime, I really hope you can get them to fix it on their dime perhaps as a godwill gesture, but I am doubtful.

I've used Minelab since the XS came out.I bought from that place in Florida. I received my 1rst machine back in 2000
and it did NOT work.They sent me a 2nd machine. It did NOT work. So they sent me a 3rd machine and I never looked back.
The 3rd machine was HOT! I've since replaced it with the CTX3030. Have one hour on it as it sits. Minelab has fumbled
the ball big time as far as I'm concerned.A machine with updates? What UPDATES Minelab? With the Price on this machine
I don't see the justification for spending this kind of money on this machine as I feel taken by Minelab and with some of the
HORROR stories you hear on this $2400.00 machine (cheap USB port,leaking issues etc. , etc. ,) I know it's a good machine for
finding coins but it's cost sure doesn't seem Worth it! In the hour I used her I found a couple coins with nails right on top of
these coins using target trace. Works great. My other machine smokes the CTX 3030 though in my opinion. Not the I.D. depth
of the CTX but still nets me the goods with updates coming as this company listens to what its CUSTOMERS want!!!
Should have kept the "OL Explorer XS, just as capable as the 3030 but a different animal...
silverseeker 2

That is a pretty strong opinion after only the first hour. Sell it now why you still can!

You be the judge?

AJ

https://au.finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=CDA.AX#symbol=CDA.AX;range=5y

http://www.fool.com.au/2016/02/05/heres-why-the-codan-limited-share-price-bounced-today/

I am at a loss for words..These people are ripping me off...Sorry, but thats how I feel.
They could care less about their customers....

Simply put: A brand new detector was purchased with a defective screen>>>>>it was replaced with another detector with a defective screen and with a note saying that this is normal...what part of this is difficult to understand!!!!!!!!!!!!
I live in Victoria, B.C. There arent a lot of CTXs here and its only recently that I found out that the defective screen issue has been fixed>>>WHERE IS MINE MINELAB

Minelabs response:

Hello Ron,

Thank you for your inquiry. According to our records you have been issued RMA #15079 for repair. If you would like to move forward with getting your CTX 3030 serviced please ship your detector to our Authorized Service Center in FL. (Minelab East 1085 Belle Ave. Winter Springs, FL. 3270:geek:. Please be sure to reference your RMA# on the outside of the packaging to ensure proper delivery.

Unfortunately your machine is out of warranty as of 09/12/2015 at which shipping, parts, and labor would be an out of pocket expense. The turn-around time is 10-15 business days at which the technician will follow up with the diagnosis and the status of your repair.

Thanks again for your inquiry, please feel free to contact us with any other questions or comments.

If it was me, after that second time around with the screen. I would have gathered as many photos of other CTX's that didn't have the rainbow effect. You could have came on here and asked us and probably most every one of us would have sent you a photo of ours . I would have then sent them to Minelab, or told them to visit this forum (which I understand they do) to see the difference. This is all in hindsight of course. I feel for you, but you are going to have a tough time fighting city hall now that you are out of warranty.

At this point since you have nothing to lose, you could try an eecb.... People do have luck with those sometimes.

https://consumerist.com/2007/05/11/how-to-launch-an-executive-email-carpet-bomb/

there are consumer laws here in Australia , but I find the carrot is always better than the stick and if the carrot doesn't work , well !! but as explained the screen lines are a documented minelab fault and it needs to be fixed for free as its their fault. if they will not fix it, I know what I would do.

pay to get it fixed and sell the machine and never buy another one , there's only one way to vote and that's with your pocket book.

I had a whites DF kept blowing coils was costing me 80 odd $ a pop after the 2nd time I sold it , only so many times a fella can bash his head against the wall right it gets hard to see with all the blood in your eyes.

but do something about it , I think everyone has supported you here now its time to act and make a decision about your relationship with minelab and you do realise its ok to split up there are other fish in the sea :bouncy:

AJ

GKMan said:
If it was me, after that second time around with the screen. I would have gathered as many photos of other CTX's that didn't have the rainbow effect. You could have came on here and asked us and probably most every one of us would have sent you a photo of ours . I would have then sent them to Minelab, or told them to visit this forum (which I understand they do) to see the difference. This is all in hindsight of course. I feel for you, but you are going to have a tough time fighting city hall now that you are out of warranty.

At this point since you have nothing to lose, you could try an eecb.... People do have luck with those sometimes.

https://consumerist.com/2007/05/11/how-to-launch-an-executive-email-carpet-bomb/

Heres the problem: When it was still under warranty I was told that it was normal..Now that its out of warranty they want me to pay. I have dealt with Minelab in the past when I owned the Explorers. They had excellent customer service and I didnt know that this had changed so I trusted and believed them when they said it was normal.
They have all the photos from the past already... they just LIED

amberjack said:
there are consumer laws here in Australia , but I find the carrot is always better than the stick and if the carrot doesn't work , well !! but as explained the screen lines are a documented minelab fault and it needs to be fixed for free as its their fault. if they will not fix it, I know what I would do.

pay to get it fixed and sell the machine and never buy another one , there's only one way to vote and that's with your pocket book.

I had a whites DF kept blowing coils was costing me 80 odd $ a pop after the 2nd time I sold it , only so many times a fella can bash his head against the wall right it gets hard to see with all the blood in your eyes.

but do something about it , I think everyone has supported you here now its time to act and make a decision about your relationship with minelab and you do realise its ok to split up there are other fish in the sea :bouncy:

AJ

Okay, so I spend $640.00 plus $100 in shipping cost and sell it for??? $1100.00 Sorry, that does not work for me but I can see where your coming from..thanks for your response

Good Luck. Let us know how it turns out.

rluka said:
amberjack said:

AJ

Okay, so I spend $640.00 plus $100 in shipping cost and sell it for??? $1100.00 Sorry, that does not work for me but I can see where your coming from..thanks for your response

its time for the stick then yes?? the screen lines are a documented ctx fault , they need to fix it for free, if you get no joy from kellyco then go higher up ring Australia if you have too , that is Codans head office and they will put a rocket up kellyco , but remember the carrot when you ring Australia meaning be nice explain the lines and how you feel and how you are being treated. and 640 $ for a screen pcb who gave you that price?

AJ

rluka said:
amberjack said:

AJ

So you expect to only clear $340 for selling it after repairs? I'll give you $400 plus shipping for it as is. You'll be money ahead!