Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Reality of detecting today

sube

I had a covnersation with a member on another forum thought I would post here . For an old park of any kind that’s pretty mind blowing. One thing I’ve found to be true…when silver coins develop that “blue” look to them they are harder to find, it must be that the tarnishing somehow affects the eddy currents or some sh*t, who knows. The pinpointer doesn’t even seem to like them, so I can see why these were still hidden in there. I have not tested different frequencies in air to see if one works better than another, so you might want to experiment to give yourself the best chance of finding others.

Interesting you brought this comment up . The blue look can also be the concrete look what are silver coins made of 90 percent silver and 10 percent copper .
Silver coins in the ground a 100 plus years get that concrete type coating on them where they were blue and as time goes on they go to the grey concrete look . Then again some coins will blue or turn grey faster depending on the soil and some hardy change.
This happens because of that 10 percent copper that's in the coin now if they were 100 percent silver they would not blue or grey as fast but would turn black .
As you know the metal detector is looking at the eddy current that is the surface of the coin EMF if we leach out the copper on the surface of the coin we basically have a pure skin of silver with no copper changing the EMF .
Just as a electric wire the current travels on the outside of the wire not the center.
So if freqs were a determining factor we would need to run even lower freqs to get the best signal .

All this aside x=2/3-4+2^=shhit the reality is there are no more high tones were most people hunt (but still silver there ) So why would a person be using a low freq thinking he will find high conductors .
What a person is looking for is a coin with co-located iron pull-tab foil and who knows what mixed with it all this bring that high tone to a mid tone or worst case a low tone .
Just as the CTX was weak on deep nickels the deeper they were the more ID went up till it just ID as iron .Why CTX etrac and so on were good with high conductors the freqs were set lower .Same can be said of dime if you ran higher and higher freqs you would get that dime shallower and shallower another words the deeper the dime the more likely it would call it iron .
Now getting to the deus deep HC I think runs at 4 to 14 khz this is great if your finding high conductors or able to separate a target from a co-located iron nail and what not .
This is not the best freqs to run when we have blended targets ones we can not separate or find alone maybe set the deus up with a higher offset like 24khz . As I said most targets left will be blended and have lower ID (a mid tone or low tone ) .
I am going to concentrate on the deep mid-tone and use a freq that's best for them not to high and not to low both of these will give less depth on the mid-tone . Running higher freqs I don't think I will miss that white whale all by itself (silver coin). Deus 1.10 has the ability to set the offset on the machine .sube

Quote Reply

Base metals in the silver alloy can be anything ,Henry 8 used copper
That’s a good point that we sometimes forget…the people in the US tend to speak of “US coins” while not necessarily taking into account that people from all over the world read this forum. The coins in question here are 90% silver, 10% copper, but not all US coins were that way and Canadian alloys, along with British alloys, changed over time.

That’s a good point that we sometimes forget…the people in the US tend to speak of “US coins” while not necessarily taking into account that people from all over the world read this forum. The coins in question here are 90% silver, 10% copper, but not all US coins were that way and Canadian alloys, along with British alloys, changed over time.
That's what's nice about this forum. It's global.

Not seeing any coins with a bluish tint here. Found this dime yesterday near a closed down bar.
20230809_223138.jpg

I did dig one high mid tone today 7 inches running hc with offset of 24khz ID was a solid 70 to 71 as you know that's pull-tab range .I would ignore any targets that were reading 64 to 80 that were not deeper than 6 inches but did get fooled a couple times had I dug all these I would be a pull-tab king lol .
The way I judge depth with the ws6 is on the bottom right side where NF is it has to stay on the bottom if it creeps up it's not going to be deep enough where I hunt all my tabs come in higher than this.
The target was a wheat penny and buffalo nickel .
I also dug a 1898 barber dime earlier this year solid 83 two ways I was thinking indian had my friend sweep it with his nox 15 inch coil read 19 19 both ways so I dig down 7 inches locate signal it's one of those fence staples for barb wire I thinking crap pinpointer said there's more 2 more inches barber dime . That's a big smile:)
These coins were touching could not separate could also be a nail with the coin or other crap you name it I'm just wondering how many coin spills that read like crap are still in the ground we just walk over and ignore , one good point about this the good coins will be deeper than the clad (most of the time ) got to sacrifice some good target to get more .
As far as that concrete surface on the coin have only dug 3 newer coins that had this a mint state 35 quarter under a side walk and 2 mercs from the teens also in mint shape that means they were in the ground for a long time . sube

In saltwater they range from a black to purple tint and brown some examples these are all from alongside a saltwater river I’ve dug some black ones in the ground also the barber half is purple
Mark

Attachments

• 4D89C74C-EDF0-4D5C-9CA6-9B99A9906009.jpeg
    4D89C74C-EDF0-4D5C-9CA6-9B99A9906009.jpeg
    237.8 KB · Views: 74
  • C6FCD28B-8679-4655-9D36-C9FA4799D318.jpeg
    C6FCD28B-8679-4655-9D36-C9FA4799D318.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 72
  • 43B23C7E-0A28-4152-A7F1-9D1E8A7AB58C.png
    43B23C7E-0A28-4152-A7F1-9D1E8A7AB58C.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 80
  • 827A191D-7796-457F-97AD-F475AC93D35B.jpeg
    827A191D-7796-457F-97AD-F475AC93D35B.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 75
  • ABA7CA92-6CBD-43FD-92EA-9B41F3F933C2.jpeg
    ABA7CA92-6CBD-43FD-92EA-9B41F3F933C2.jpeg
    555.9 KB · Views: 82
Sure,

After seeing some photos above I can say yes, I have found blue and gray and concrete coins. Sometimes they are single coins but very strange in color. When I find multi coins stuck together than I see a strange blue color in the center of coins.

For the coins you found at those lower numbers is interesting, Do you feel that setting up tones better would help?
Tony NJ

Sure,

After seeing some photos above I can say yes, I have found blue and gray and concrete coins. Sometimes they are single coins but very strange in color. When I find multi coins stuck together than I see a strange blue color in the center of coins.

For the coins you found at those lower numbers is interesting, Do you feel that setting up tones better would help?
Tony NJ
I don't think tones would help much in this situation the main thing is depth , pull-tabs general don't achieve the depth of nails and coins . The depth thing is so you don't become a pull-tab king .
Your going to find some shapes of can slaw that will mimicking this , sound deep but are't , make sure you listen to the duration of the signal when you turn 90 degrees to it , is it the same or longer or shorter most will read slightly lower than nickels .
Always pay attention to the deep iron nail or what ever the double blip if each blip is different in pitch dig , the machine may not give 2 IDS because there to close together or stacked .
Also if you get any deep nonferrous hit's dig . A lot of posers here but some can be eliminated by there short blips there not as long as a coin signal especially on the 90 degree turn if they sound different in duration more than likely a poser. sube

Interesting about the colors .
Could it be fertilizers in the ground , or something similar ??
Yes that could be a big factor also salt here in Wisconsin they pile the crap on every curb strip . Where they have ice racing here in the winter where ever they park there cars at the fairgrounds it melts of the cars take the salt to many places . sube

I had a covnersation with a member on another forum thought I would post here . For an old park of any kind that’s pretty mind blowing. One thing I’ve found to be true…when silver coins develop that “blue” look to them they are harder to find, it must be that the tarnishing somehow affects the eddy currents or some sh*t, who knows. The pinpointer doesn’t even seem to like them, so I can see why these were still hidden in there. I have not tested different frequencies in air to see if one works better than another, so you might want to experiment to give yourself the best chance of finding others.

Interesting you brought this comment up . The blue look can also be the concrete look what are silver coins made of 90 percent silver and 10 percent copper .
Silver coins in the ground a 100 plus years get that concrete type coating on them where they were blue and as time goes on they go to the grey concrete look . Then again some coins will blue or turn grey faster depending on the soil and some hardy change.
This happens because of that 10 percent copper that's in the coin now if they were 100 percent silver they would not blue or grey as fast but would turn black .
As you know the metal detector is looking at the eddy current that is the surface of the coin EMF if we leach out the copper on the surface of the coin we basically have a pure skin of silver with no copper changing the EMF .
Just as a electric wire the current travels on the outside of the wire not the center.
So if freqs were a determining factor we would need to run even lower freqs to get the best signal .

All this aside x=2/3-4+2^=shhit the reality is there are no more high tones were most people hunt (but still silver there ) So why would a person be using a low freq thinking he will find high conductors .
What a person is looking for is a coin with co-located iron pull-tab foil and who knows what mixed with it all this bring that high tone to a mid tone or worst case a low tone .
Just as the CTX was weak on deep nickels the deeper they were the more ID went up till it just ID as iron .Why CTX etrac and so on were good with high conductors the freqs were set lower .Same can be said of dime if you ran higher and higher freqs you would get that dime shallower and shallower another words the deeper the dime the more likely it would call it iron .
Now getting to the deus deep HC I think runs at 4 to 14 khz this is great if your finding high conductors or able to separate a target from a co-located iron nail and what not .
This is not the best freqs to run when we have blended targets ones we can not separate or find alone maybe set the deus up with a higher offset like 24khz . As I said most targets left will be blended and have lower ID (a mid tone or low tone ) .
I am going to concentrate on the deep mid-tone and use a freq that's best for them not to high and not to low both of these will give less depth on the mid-tone . Running higher freqs I don't think I will miss that white whale all by itself (silver coin). Deus 1.10 has the ability to set the offset on the machine .sube

Quote Reply
I think this is one reason why they came out with multi frequency. Instead of trying to figure out which frequency is best for a particular target in a particular area and potentially missing others why not let the machine run both high and low frequencies simultaneously and seeing more of everything