Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Recovery test.

Ray-Mo.

I just spent the last half hour testing the Visions recovery speed using stock coil and factory presets with the cut nail and silver dime in picture .They were in like positions only several inches further away from each other.The hi-pro and Trash settings did the best by far on my machine,Ray.

I did two tests to include iron spike and bent nail. I
have no doubt in what the V3 will do.

While I was on the beach, got a great signal, 83, which is a quarter and when I took a scoop of sand, looked in the scoop, had two pull tabs and the quarter...I'm convinced the Vision knows a good thing when it "sees" it....Jim

Remember: "Some guys get older and wiser and some just get older" :clapping:

Sorry I did not check as I was just trying to see how close I could get the dime to the nail and still get a good signal at normal sweep speeds.I did put the dime and nail side by side with the nail turned 1/4 turn and it hit and IDed the dime fairly close with a good sounding dig me type signal,Ray.

Hi just for information a recovery test does not mean how close you can get a coin next to an iron nail

Most detectors will find a coin on top of or under a nail

A recovery test is were you signal the iron first, you then see how long the detector takes to recover, and signal the coin.

after getting a signal on the nail you then sweep over the coin, if it does not signal

You then move the coin further away and repeat the test until the coin registers

please note you have to signal the iron nail first

At the end of the test you should find how many inches the detector will find a coin next to iron, at normal sweep speed

Most top end detectors struggle on this test, and most will only manage around 3-4 inches

You disc out the nail then check how close you can get the nail to the coin until it turns to a blanking, or "no dig" sound.

You do not discriminate out the nail, you have to i repeat have to, get a signal on the nail first

after getting a signal on the nail you then sweep over the coin, if it does not signal

You then move the coin further away and repeat the test until the coin registers

This test is so simple i can not understand why everyone is having trouble with it

Nice nail.... that will do for a very good recoveryspeed test that you now probably have done again and again...

The V3 will probably register very different results depending on freq used, It will be measurable difference between the 2.5 single and the 22.5 single aswell as in multimode....and several other adjustments will make a difference..

The point is how to tweek the V3 for optimal use, just as it is meant to by the designers. It can be done better for the DFX then i have seen done by very experienced users on youtube and the V3 can probably also be tweeked very good.

The current need for a true recovery speed test for the V3 has its origin in many wanting to see the difference between the F-75 vs V3 and the E-Trac vs V3 and even both vs V3....

Until i have my own V3 i have to read the comments here , and what i have read is promising, very promising for some use.

How i wish i had a V3...,,, soon!!!

Here in the US I think seperation is more important than recovery speed as most use some form of disc. in most areas,Ray.

So you put it in pinpoint mode then. I got three inches on a dime next to the nail in the all metal mode.

In my opinion the same thing, only with a more aggressive disc setting. Remember that not only recovery speed but also the dectors ability to signal a good find of low conductivity will detoriate as You increase disc... Even higher conductors at depth will have signal detoriation vs lower disc levels.

That is why sound is so important to some of us ( like in analog detectors) rather then disc....and a beep...

In short.... my opinion is when relichunting,,,, more disc less finds...

For those of you wanting recovery tests to separate a null and target are barking up the wrong tree. The recovery speed setting affects the audio quality and depth more than anything. The higher the setting, the longer the V3 has to analyze the target resulting in more depth and a better audio signal. The lower the setting, the faster the CPU is resetting itself to analyze the next target resulting in less time to gather data, also resulting in a loss of depth in the process and reducing the audio quality to a meager instantaneous pip at it's fastest speed, depending on how fast you are swinging the coil. At the longest (slowest) recovery speed the CPU takes a nice long look at the target resulting in a time lag from going over the target to getting a nice audio tone, but it is getting great depth because it has the time to "look" deep in the ground. That is why either extreme is best avoided. I get the best settings between 40 and 80 depending on how much trash is in the ground I am hunting.

For those wanting to reduce the time from a null to a good target response needs to adjust what they are discriminating out. By turning off the audio VDI of a VDI# or range of VDI's, you will get a null because the V3 turns off the audio when that VDI# detects a target in that range. If you accept the VDI# as an acceptable target, you will hear both the nail and coin as in the test cases. Ideally that is why some people will hunt in all metal mode so they can hear all targets in the ground. For those of you that do not want to hear all of the iron in the ground, you need to accept all or most of the VDI numbers and assign a low tone to the unwanted targets such as the iron. Those of you that familiar with the Explorers will experience what you are used to as an Iron Mask set to a very low setting in Ferrous Mode. All iron will be heard as a low grunt or tone depending on where you set the audio tone and how good your hearing is.

So if you are wanting to hear deep small silver, I would think that you would want to slow your recovery speed for depth and open up your discrimination patten so you can hear almost everything in the ground. You would also want to slow down the swing speed and possibly use a smaller DD coil to help separate the unwanted targets from the good ones. This is just the opposite of what some of you are talking about of increasing the discrimination pattern and a faster recovery speed. Like early in the game someone said that the V3 is a Minelab in a White's box. In this case, it will come close, but the V3 is SO much more than an Explorer.

Thank you Larry, very well explained, and i have learned somthing, i thought recovery speed was the most important thing about a metal detector, i now realise i was wrong.

Thanks Larry.
I have been doing as you describe .I opened up the disc. all the way and it is amazing how well it responds to silver in close proximity to a rusty cut nail with low tone for iron and high tone for silver.The more you play with this machine the more you start to realize just how versitile and advanced it truly is.All I need is a lot more time to hunt with it and learn what it is capable of.The deep silver mode is amazing once you get it set right for the soil and conditions you are searching and lives up to it's name,Ray.

:thumbup: Ray. Just think what will come of this detector in 6 months or a year when people get to adjusting the thing for their ground and hunting styles. I look for it to just blow the competition away.

:please: to White's and the think tank of engineers who put all of this together.

Check out the Preset Hi-Pro program it is set-up just how Larry is explaining it. Visual Reject is Off, Accepts from +95 down to -20 , Recovery Delay is 65, Tone ID is On. Read the manual it will explain each one of these settings better and between what Larry said and the explanation it will make more sense. Its all about learning and understanding your machine for the type of hunting and conditions you are in.