Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Red Clay

I use a Legend in Georgia Red Clay and it does great!

There are places with red clay that all VLF detectors ID everything as ferrous. A pulse machine works best there. But there are few places like this and other VLF detectors really don't have an advantage over the Legend in this instance as verified by the comments above.

Where do you come up with that info? I live in Virginia and haven't noticed any issues with the Legend in our red clay.
It's all I hunt in. That's how. You won't notice any issue until you hunt with or along side a machine that handles red clay extremely well and you realize you are only digging a small portion of what is actually there by somebody (or yourself) marking signals and comparing them. I guarantee you are walking over good stuff IDing as iron that you have no idea about. I have a Legend with 3 coils. It does ok...but definitely not the machine for highly mineralized soil unless you put it in all metal and dig everything. I've got one site for Civil War bullets that if they are over 4 inches deep, you'll never know they're there with the Legend. And I've been some places and dig Civil War bullets 8" easy. Just not in the red clay.

Last edited:
I guess some people's red clay is more mineralized than others. I have gone behind some of my friends using pi detectors in my red Georgia clay that missed items that they thought were trash or iron and dug out buttons and bullets and a few coins with nails in the same hole. The pi's definitely punch deeper but they don't have the separation abilities or discrimination abilities of the Legend.

Last edited:
It's all I hunt in. That's how. You won't notice any issue until you hunt with or along side a machine that handles red clay extremely well and you realize you are only digging a small portion of what is actually there by somebody (or yourself) marking signals and comparing them. I guarantee you are walking over good stuff IDing as iron that you have no idea about. I have a Legend with 3 coils. It does ok...but definitely not the machine for highly mineralized soil unless you put it in all metal and dig everything. I've got one site for Civil War bullets that if they are over 4 inches deep, you'll never know they're there with the Legend. And I've been some places and dig Civil War bullets 8" easy. Just not in the red clay.

Not too worried about your guarantee, inasmuch as I've dug pennies and dimes to 8", using the small 6" coil AND in red clay.

I have the 6" coil and it wont even air test a dime at 8 inches. I'd love to see that kinda in ground performance demonstrated on video.

I've hunted in this red stuff going on 32 years in Tennessee and Georgia. I've been from Maryland, VA, KY, NC, SC, AL, FL, and AR too. It took a long time to open our eyes to what we were walking right over. I'm not talking about depth or super deep items. I'm talking about the ground itself masking good targets; like the ground itself is a sheet of iron. You never know they're there until it gets pointed out to you...otherwise you would assume it's just iron IF you hear anything at all. I've shown it many times on video. I'll try to do one with the Legend here in a couple weeks just for you naysayers.

Last edited:
Calm down fellas. The Legend's SMF does very well in my East Texas red clay dirt. Certainly better than single frequency VLFs unless you can run All Metal like on my MXT, F5 or AT Max. The Legend will start to struggle on coin size targets past about 6 inches . It will hit larger items much deeper. The main advantage is it runs much smoother in the mineralized soil even with lots of small manmade iron included. For me Field M1 works best. M2 is less stable & M3's Conductive Subtraction is less sensitive. Recovery speed seems to be critical for best performance in minerals. 6-7 is where I usually run depending on soil moisture. You cannot go by the FerroCheck meter. It will lie to you in mineralized soil(or in iron trash/nails). Go by the Tones. I have found a lot of targets on my sites with the Legend that were missed by my Single frequency machines.

I’m with Daniel on this one.. I hunt this same Tennessee red dirt and and you’re counting on vdi’s for target identification you’ll go home with empty pockets.Most targets barely Id as iron…

I have the 6" coil and it wont even air test a dime at 8 inches. I'd love to see that kinda in ground performance demonstrated on video.

I've hunted in this red stuff going on 32 years in Tennessee and Georgia. I've been from Maryland, VA, KY, NC, SC, AL, FL, and AR too. It took a long time to open our eyes to what we were walking right over. I'm not talking about depth or super deep items. I'm talking about the ground itself masking good targets; like the ground itself is a sheet of iron. You never know they're there until it gets pointed out to you...otherwise you would assume it's just iron IF you hear anything at all. I've shown it many times on video. I'll try to do one with the Legend here in a couple weeks just for you naysayers.
Anxiously awaiting your videos.
I need the education.
Though please use every search mode and settings to make it work in that red stuff. Not just a couple fixed modes.
How does gold mode do in red clay ???

Anxiously awaiting your videos.
I need the education.
Though please use every search mode and settings to make it work in that red stuff. Not just a couple fixed modes.
How does gold mode do in red clay ???
Hands on in the red dirt is usually what it takes to open their eyes. There's a reason why the vast majority of people at the Diggin in VA hunts use pulse machines in the red dirt and not VLFs. I would say nearly all of them at one point in time, thought their VLFs would be fine and that it was user error for why so many were not doing well with their fav machines of choice. Me included.

I'd still love to see a video of some 8 inch dimes with that 6 inch coil. At least my videos will be do-able and not full of wishes and dreams.

Hands on in the red dirt is usually what it takes to open their eyes. There's a reason why the vast majority of people at the Diggin in VA hunts use pulse machines in the red dirt and not VLFs. I would say nearly all of them at one point in time, thought their VLFs would be fine and that it was user error for why so many were not doing well with their fav machines of choice. Me included.

I'd still love to see a video of some 8 inch dimes with that 6 inch coil. At least my videos will be do-able and not full of wishes and dreams.
Wondering how my oll Sovereign get would do ?

Wondering how my oll Sovereign get would do ?
The one I had did not do well at all.
Just a constant null even at low sensitivity.
And I even tried it in all metal to make sure the ground was not littered with iron.
It ran with a nice smooth threshold then.
This ground is so bad a pinpointer is about useless.