Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

"Repeatable" signal

What do you consider a repeatable signal? One that makes a sound in both directions? A signal you can make repeat, if you swing the coil just right, but the numbers jump all over the screen otherwise? If you swing your coil just so and get a nice consistent 12-44, but if you change the speed of your swing or angle it go's from 12-44 to 8-33 or 1-37 and not the least bit stable do you dig it anyway? Do you dig if it stays on the 12 line but the co slides or if you have a solid co number but the fe is bouncing from 6 to 24.

I've had my E-trac about 7 months now, and think it's great, but I seem to be able to make all sorts of junk and trash sound like a good targets, if I work at it, Any suggestions?

Thanks Bill

Numbers do jump around a lot in trashy areas.
The only way you will get a perfect signal is if the target is alone and free of other targets.
just watch for good numbers on the conductive side,and 12-14 on the ferrous side.
still it will not always be a good target,but you will never know unless you dig it!

Also,a repeatable signal is one you get a response from both directions,left and right.

LabradorBob

Just to add to this, I've had my E-Trac for about 5 weeks and also "seem to be able to make all sorts of junk and trash sound like a good targets". I sometimes get a good repeatable response swinging from left to right and back, but if I turn 90 degrees the "sweet" target sound is no longer there. I'll check it with 2 tone ferrous and get similar results (high tone left to right, turn 90 then get low tone or intermittant high/low). Next I'll pinpoint and it apprears there is only one target in the general vicinity. I usually end up digging to be sure and more times than not I end up with a crusty rusty nail (usually down about 8").

Any other hints, tricks, or traps that you could share with us newbies? Thanks!

So far I've only dug up one old rusty nail that was at the beach, mostly I get pieces of aluminum, or big chunks of can slaw. Never ceases to amaze me how much a crushed beer can and a quarter sound the same.

FordGalaxy said:
So far I've only dug up one old rusty nail that was at the beach, mostly I get pieces of aluminum, or big chunks of can slaw. Never ceases to amaze me how much a crushed beer can and a quarter sound the same.

And the crushed beer can will be 8" deeper than the quarter 9 times out of ten!!!!!

NebTrac

Yep, the depth indicator will be hanging at 3 inches my hole will already be 10 inches, I'll be cussing under my breath, about it being another can, and yet I have to know for sure and just keep digging. It's a conspiracy I tell ya the cans are running interference for the good targets.

Hey all, when you get a can that sounds like a quarter can you lift the coil off the ground several inches to see if it still sounds and if it does then assume it's a big can? Coming from a whites I know you can do this trick on a whites. Thank you

I might add that if I get a signal that is SORT of repeatable in that it hits close the the numbers I am looking for and I can get it to be CLOSE on most of the swings and fairly consistent though not always from both ways on the swing...or in other words say the top right section of the screen hitting in only one direction on 5 or mor sweeps. I call that a repeatable signal and will definitaly pinpoint and check the quick mask (all meatal) screen before I dig as the curser will then move to the bottom right or elsewhere inconsistent. That is how I see if it is a small or large target. I can pick up the coil and hear a loud response if it is a large target but the quiet little repeatable targets are not going to do that. So most of this type will me a good target/ Not a good repeatable signal but one that Wants to be but is having difficulty...I check them for sure.

utahshovelhead

What i do is go by the odds. Once i hear a good tone. I will circle around the target making short sweeps as i go around. Depending how the machine is set up to may have to wait till the machine resets on every sweep. if the numbers are bouncing i will dig if they give me more good than bad.

if the #'s are good recheck it with quickmask....see how many nails are there....the #'s will be in the #30's....you cant pinpont because it will grab onto the largest nail there.. you can tell this by the numbers changing...put the quick mask on and find it and its under the coil....even if there is a chirp and you dont get the good signal both ways check with the quick mask anyways...could be a lot of nails there and the machine cant pick it up quick enough....and dont forget to hit the noise cancel button at least every hour or when ground conditions change or around high tension wires.....ginger