Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Rick’s Manta Manifesto

lytle78

I posted this a few minutes ago on another forum, in response to a question of whether a special purpose gold hunting beach PI like the Manta would be a machine that folks would buy and then not like.

I think the answer is some will love it, some won’t. Pretty much like any other detector. You build PI machines which a lot of folks have used and most really love, but they are clearly not for everyone.

Beach hunting is hard work and unless you live near the beach it is a thing you can only do when you infrequently travel to the beach. PI beach detectors have been on the market for decades. They are niche machines in beach detecting and beach machines are a niche within the overall detector market.

Fisher’s primary challenge is to produce a machine which is light and elegant and lives up to the picture painted by enthusiastic folks on the forums.Their next challenge is to present it correctly. I am pretty sure that they don’t want every hunter who goes to the beach to buy one. FT are busy developing new platforms which will address the challenge posed by the latest crop of “go anywhere” detectors - water resistant VLF’s with salt beach capability (mostly but not exclusively multifrequency).

If we look at existing PI water machines we see detectors with depth on low mineral beaches equal to or superior to machines like the Excal, CTX and CZ21 (on black sand or other mineralized beaches they clearly beat the VLF’s). The current machines lack any practical means of identifying iron. The result is that users often find that they end up digging more and deeper holes without increasing their finds. They also are no more sensitive to small gold than VLF’s which can operate in Salt. A lot of them end up being sold on or put in the closet, and the user either giving up beach detecting or reverting to a VLF. Some dedicated hunters, especially where mineralized beaches prevail continue to use them and get super results.

The new Fisher PI will be a specialized tool. It’s for gold, just like a Minelab GPZ which costs $7000. The difference is that finding an ounce of gold nuggets is really, really hard. Lots of folks try for a year to find their first tiny one. Head to the beach with a good beach detector and the odds of finding gold are nowhere so remote - and the gold you find is in bigger chunks than the average nugget hunter will ever find.

The Manta has two key characteristics which aim to make it a deadly gold hunter. First and most important, it claims to be more sensitive to ALL gold than any previous salt water detector. It does this by having an adjustable pulse delay control which goes down below 10 microseconds pulse delay - this has two effects, it enables finding smaller gold than any current detector in salt water and second Manta has more depth on all gold. All this sensitivity would be no good if weak target signals were swamped by circuit and ground noise. The Manta’s design has been refined and every design trade off made in the direction of extremely low noise, letting weak signal be heard.

So, folks might say - OK maybe it will find more gold, but PI’s also hear every tiny flake of metal and drive me nuts and wear me out digging deep holes for nails, hairpins and aluminum trash.

The feature of the Manta which has probably gotten the most attention is its ability to ID or eliminate ferrous targets. The iron ID/elimination capability of the Manta is based on the operation of its ground balance system. This function puts iron and high conductors into the excluded “bucket” (it has two modes, no return or multitone) and puts low conductors - gold jewelry and aluminum - into another “bucket”. The degree of operation of this feature is variable from “all metal” level through increasing amounts of rejection. Use of this will greatly reduce or eliminate digging ferrous junk. Unlike the primitive iron ID of the Minelab GPX machines, this feature works to nearly full detecting depth of the machine. Since it works on the strength of the return signal, vs. its phase shift, it will likely eliminate those dreaded smashed and ripped deep aluminum cans.

At high levels, the largest ferrous targets and other targets with high conductivity are rejected. With use of the ferrous rejection feature clad and silver coins are excluded. Not so great for “clad stabbing” The testing so far has concentrated on finding gold in the water and France doesn’t have recent high conductor coinage. The use of iron ID when silver is the target may work fine by adjusting the pulse delay to a higher value and choosing a lower level of iron exclusion, or it may be necessary to hunt in all metal with a high pulse delay value to eliminate small ferrous and all aluminum. In any event, LE JAG has reported that in his 3 years or so of testing and using successive Manta prototypes he has mainly operated in all metal - stating that most iron gives a double “blip” especially if the coil is lifted slightly. In this mode, silver and clad are detected, just like everything else.

Using the Manta for gold in salt will be just like any other beach machine in one way - the user will have to adapt control settings and search techniques to extract the maximum information from the ground and to make effective use of his time and energy. Fisher’s argument is that between the gold finding power of the Manta and it’s abilities to avoid digging ferrous junk, it will obsolete all previous PI beach machines and outperform any current beach machine of any type - tall order, we will see if it measures up.

The upcoming testing of pre-production machines here in North America will no doubt clearly reveal the best use of the machine’s capabilities - When that data is in, I’m pretty sure Fisher’s advertising and social media information on the PI will reflect its strengths and limitations. They are well aware this is not a mass-market machine. I suspect also that they are putting off setting a price target for this until they have a firmer grasp on the scope of its usefulness and appeal. The GPZ costs $7000 - why? - because it finds gold nuggets better than any other detector in the world and gold is valuable - Minelab charges a kind of tax on gold. If the Manta can demonstrate that it really finds gold jewelry in salt water better than any machine in the world it will totally dominate an admittedly niche market - fortunately, I doubt that Fisher is interested in “taxing gold” - so I’m sure the price will be much more reasonable.

Rick,
Than you for the post. I had been wondering in silence if the chosen price point would be to make it kind of exclusive or more in the going for quantity in the niche range. Still waiting to find out and still looking forward to seeing a product hit the market. ... and glad to hear some thoughts and information!
Thanks again!
tvr

Rick, good post as you usually do.

However, I'm willing to bet there's going to be "gotchas" in the supposed iron rejection ability. You say yourself :

".... this feature works to nearly full detecting depth of the machine..."

So too was the claim for the TDI. But the moment anyone went to utilize this ability, they could kiss the fabled depth goodbye. The outside limits of depth (the last few inches?) that you seem to be alluding to, are going to have guys digging a bunch "just to make sure".

Same for this quote of yours :

"Manta prototypes he has mainly operated in all metal - stating that most iron gives a double “blip” especially if the coil is lifted slightly."

Hmmm, where have I heard that before ? Oh yeah! It was from all the pulse guys who are gleeful they can cut nasty black sand and get fabled depth. And when you ask them "what about nails?", they say "I can tell them apart by the double beep". But those become famous last words, as we see them leave nail riddled beaches in disgust.

So something tells me this is just going to be another incarnation of all the "gotchas" of previous attempts to make a true discriminating pulse. Sorry to be a kill-joy.

Tom, never apologize for being a kill-joy - you are the uncrowned king of the kill-joys - what on earth would we do if you dropped out?

As far as the depth loss with ID on, we won’t know for sure till you or I or both of us have a production machine, but based on what I saw in the videos and what LE JAG has posted and told me otherwise, it seems to be in the same general range as that seen in a good VLF - maybe 10-20%. You must remember that the majority of serious beach aces use their Excals and CZ’s with discrim off and then play cross check to see if it’s junk. Nobody wants to give up those deep whispers.

And that takes me to your second point - what happens if you go to all metal? LE JAG has used these things for three years at least and has piles of gold to show for it, If he says that a slight lift of the coil causes iron to break up in tone, who am I to argue. Mark also, he is not talking about hearing “double blips” from nails, he is talking about an actual tone change not due to orientation or shape. Again we’ll see.

Tom D. in FL reckons it will be awesome and I’m pretty sure he has solid grounds for his opinion.

Tom in CA said:
Sorry to be a kill-joy.

Since when have you ever been sorry for your thoughts? :poke: Go ahead and be a proud kill-joy! :rofl:

Some beaches I like hunting with a PI, some the PI is a back up machine. No shame either way. I'm looking forward to seeing whatever a Manta turns out to be. Price point may determine if I buy new or wait for used.
Cheers,
tvr

Edit to add ... I do hope it comes out soon; I'm not getting any younger.

lytle78 said:
....has used these things for three years at least and has piles of gold to show for it, .....

So too do I know beach pulse guys, with good results, who claim to dig little iron. Using the "double beep" and "raise the coil" type tricks. But this is typically the touristy warm water beaches of Southern CA or Hawaii. And have much much less "industrial" type usage (fishing, burned down wharves in history, forbid beach bonfires which introduce nails, etc....).

I had a visit from one of the renowned So. CA hunters who, like you say, has "piles of gold" to show from his pulse. And claims to dig little iron at all. I don't doubt he's sincere. And his pile of gold speaks loudly.

HOWEVER : When I got him up to my area, I took him to a beach that is riddled with nails. Yet I can pick coins and conductive targets from the mess. He lasted about 10 minutes, and suggested we "leave for greener grounds". So as you can see, on an isolated target per target basis, you can make educated guesses, sure. But when you're talking storm eroded beaches, where nails are so thick they look like tooth-picks all over, then I bet LE JAG would leave in disgust.

Another time we arrived at Capitola, CA beach after storm erosion. And saw a pulse guy already down there swinging ,and digging targets everywhere. I knew this fellow from the local beach hunting community, and he was one of them that said he could tells nails apart by sound. Within 30 minutes of our arrival to join him in this erosion pocket, we saw him packing it up to leave. He just couldn't hack the nails. After he left, we proceeded to find scores of coins from the mess, using standard machines.

About the only time I truly saw a type of pulse do good at nail ID, was the Fisher Impulse. But I don't think that's as deep-seeking, and it requires perpetual re-tuning to keep its ability to discern nails. But I saw a proficient Impulse user join us where a construction crew had dumped sand from a beach side project (that had previously been under the street that fronted the Santa Cruz beach Boardwalk). I figured this guy would last 10 minutes and dig countless nails. But I watched in amazement as he dug little to no iron, and was able to pick coins out of the tooth-pick-nail-riddled mess just like the rest of us. That guy was up here visiting from So. CA, and I forget his name now. That was 20-ish yrs. ago.

Tom, here is the key to your whole 5 paragraphs above. Talking about the Fisher Impulse of years ago...

“But I watched in amazement as he dug little to no iron, and was able to pick coins out of the tooth-pick-nail-riddled mess just like the rest of us”

So you admit that a iron ID PI is possible and you saw it with your own eyes. So why do you think that 25 years (or so) later it can’t be done with better engineering and components?

Did you not watch this video? They repeatedly demonstrate iron ID and iron exclusion - as well as see through of iron.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G8sdp4RG73g&feature=youtu.be

Or do you think they are “cheating” some how. I don’t think that they are and another Tom, Tom Walsh the guy who owns First Texas didn’t think so either. After they got a Manta prototype to play with, Tom opened his purse and put up a lot of money to buy the program and hire Alexandre’s team.

Or is it that LE JAG lying when he says that the discrimination works to at least 80% of the total depth of the machine, but that he (like almost all serious beach hunters with PI’s or VLF’s) prefers to work in all metal and by slightly raising the coil can get ferrous signals to break up?

Here us I’ve snippet -

“I recognize the iron / even in all metals
it is enough to raise the disk / a double beep in limit of signal = iron

This is clearly not the old “shape recognition” nail ID.

I’m going to hang on to your posts - next year this time we can refer to them again and see who was seeing more clearly - maybe you - I bet not - we’ll see - maybe on one of your horrible beaches, I’m retired and like CA.

next year you will have, in addition to an 8 inches
will be even easier
to hunt beaches full of nails
in reject mode / no need to recognize
the nails will cut / just dig / low conductor
all gold rings less than 10 gr / depending on the setting

even a nail through the ring of 2gr / you will have the ring

I recognize that it is difficult to admit
I would have been told this / 3 years ago / before I have the machine in my hands

I would not have believed :blowup:

I just did two air tests using the method described by Eric Foster. Google Eric Foster PI air test.

Test ring: 1.58 gram 14k yellow gold band

I get a dig this signal at 12" using my White's Dual Field PI.
I get a dig this signal at 10" using my Equinox 600 in Beach 1 mode (9" in Beach 2 mode).

That might convert to 10" for the PI and 8" for the Nox on a small ring like that as the coil is swung above the ground while beach hunting. (just a guess)

If the Manta / Aquamanta could see a small ring like that at 14" using the Eric Foster PI air test method then I'd probably end up buying one.

Interesting test data. I did google the Eric F. Procedure and the gist of it is:

For an air test, always have the coil horizontal. Noise signals are polarized so that a vertical coil will always pick up far more noise than a horizontal one. For a realistic air test, lay the coil on a piece of 1in thick wood, MDF, or plastic on the ground surface, then wave a target over the top of the coil. The range obtained will not be measurably different to that if the target was buried. The above is true for PI detectors, but not necessarily so for induction balance types, where the operating frequency can make a very noticeable difference.”

Given that testing on the MANTA has shown it to be more powerful than any of Eric’s machines, and that it is therefore likely deeper than your DFPI, I’d start saving my money if I were you. Lol

In any case extensive pre-production model testing is expected to start this summer (I’m guessing, but I think it’s likely) so we may have some direct comparisons prior to launch.

Rick, Good post. And I am glad you are dissecting my posts, as I've done to yours. That's the whole point of discussion/forums. Ok, point by point :

"So you admit that a iron ID PI is possible and you saw it with your own eyes. "

But didn't you also see that I'd mused that his depth, after attaining iron ID, was probably about that of a regular coin machine. Right ? Hence the only thing that could arguably be gained, is to accomplish the feat in nasty minerals, which shut down a regular coin machine. Right ? That would be an admitted plus. But to do it at fabled pulse depths ? I don't think so. Also: the trick this impulse user was showing me was an audio trick that had to be developed by this user (that was more pronounced that the Whites beach pulses of that time, which always left nagging doubts). In other words, it was not a "setting" that silenced iron, or gave it a distinct sound. It was a quick one-two-three step to test each target, or something like that. WHICH ISN'T A BAD THING. But just saying that, aside from locations to where you need to cut black minerals, you're just taking a step sideways, since you've gained no more depth.

Sure, whatever it was this guy accomplished with a pulse, if it could be "harnessed" in a user-setting to mimic a standard machine (where you can just elect to tune out, or give a different sound to iron) great. And if can be done without compromising the fabled pulse depth. And can be done without nagging doubts that send you digging a bunch "just to make sure". Then yes, I agree.

But aside from that singular demonstration, of a singular pulse machine, I've never seen it accomplished again.

".... Did you not watch this video? They repeatedly demonstrate iron ID and iron exclusion - as well as see through of iron.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G8sdp4RG73g&feature=youtu.be .... "

Yes, I've seen that video numerous times. Here's my answer to that: So too could you do a similar demonstration, with a TDI. On a target by target "staged" basis. But you know full well that the devil would be in the details. Once you get into actual field conditions. For example: I could do a demonstration, of various power-house land machines (1266, cz6, etc...) that would show super depth, and retention of TID, that far-&-away exceed all others. But once you get out into actual field conditions, and everything beyond 6" sounds the same, what good is that ? DON'T GET LOST IN THE EXAMPLE . I'm just saying that staged tests , over flagged known targets, can seem to show dazzling things. But the real test, is the real world.

I realize that the video maker went to great lengths to "close the door" on all such contingencies. That was commendable. But just saying that so-too could someone make a video with various other machines, that seem to "close all the doors". Yet ... in actual real world target rich environments, become a headache that is not a headache for standard machines. I might be wrong. Perhaps it's the perfect blend of standard coin machines (which effortlessly pass nails of all shapes/sizes) while not loosing depth, and while having great un-masking/see-through, and while having the fabled pulse ability to cut nasty black minerals. I certainly hope so. But just saying, .... history has not shown this. There has been many claims, that all fall through with the "gotchas". I hope I'm wrong with this one.

".... Or is it that LE JAG lying when he says that the discrimination works to at least 80% of the total depth of the machine,...."

No one is "lying". We are all quite sincere. But curiously you say here yourself "80%". Ok, so in order to accomplish iron/ nail rejection, you loose 20% of your depth. Right ? Ok, does that put you at about what a person could expect with a Sov, Excal, CZ, etc.... ? Eh ?

"...... Here us I’ve snippet -

“I recognize the iron / even in all metals
it is enough to raise the disk / a double beep in limit of signal = iron "

I hope this too is workable and reliable. Because I can't count the # of times I've heard sincere pulse users say this. So when I read it here for this latest machine, I tend to think "yeah yeah, boy have I heard this before". Yet they leave nail riddled beaches for "greener grounds". And then next year, we see them sporting standard machines like the rest of us. Maybe not for clean beaches of So. CA or Hawaii. But for industrial beaches like is mostly encountered here @ Monterey Bay , CA . Eg.: burned down wharves, beaches that permit beach bonfires, beaches where the dunes were used as "dumps" at the turn of century, etc.... On a target per target spread out basis, sure. Perhaps . But when it becomes like ghost townsy conditions .... ??

".... next year this time we can refer to them again and see who was seeing more clearly - maybe you - I bet not - we’ll see - ...."

I certainly hope I'm wrong !!

I share your hope – that you’re wrong. Lol

I will make one comment however - that video and the follow up by sending a prototype to El Paso got Tom Walsh at first Texas to buy the entire project and hire Alexandre and his team . I think the folks at first Texas are smart enough to figure out the Video was legit and after using the prototype were convinced that it would do what they say

So I’m pretty optimistic. Your thoughtful reservations however are noted

lytle78 said:
I share your hope – that you’re wrong. Lol

I will make one comment however - that video and the follow up by sending a prototype to El Paso got Tom Walsh at first Texas to buy the entire project and hire Alexandre and his team . I think the folks at first Texas are smart enough to figure out the Video was legit and after using the prototype were convinced that it would do what they say

So I’m pretty optimistic. Your thoughtful reservations however are noted

And this is why I am optimistic. Fisher saw the video, actually got to try it themselves, and then were so impressed they bought it. So it appears to be working.

I'm not so sure that just because a detecting manufacturer pursues, investigates, or buys out an invention/technology, that this necessarily means it's the "cat's meow".

Look back over the history and evolution of detectors : See how many things that engineers have knocked themselves silly over. How much overhead and investments have gone into the very detectors we have today. Yet as you can see, most of them were not better mousetraps. Oh sure, we've "moved forward" (compared to 20 to 40 yrs. ago). But the mere fact of financial investment into research or patents, etc.... Could simply be something that just adds to more whistles & bells (as tends to be the case with most all new machines for the last 10 to 20 yrs.). Which isn't a bad thing, but ... just saying ... it's not conclusive proof that you're necessarily looking at a discriminating pulse. As if it's finally the combining of the standard coin machine (effortlessly passing nails, and good TID), WITH the fabled depth of pulse, and fabled ability in black sand.

Yes I hope I'm wrong. But no ... .financial interests by Co. owners, does not necessarily point in the affirmative direction.

Tom - you remind me of an ancient Spanish toast...”May no new thing arise!”

Here are my comments to what I take to be the actual point of your post - as always, thank you for thoughtful challenge - it helps us sort out our ideas!

Tom_in_CA said:
....Could simply be something that just adds to more whistles & bells (as tends to be the case with most all new machines for the last 10 to 20 yrs.). I have looked pretty closely and see neither bells or whistles - just a deep PI detector with usable iron ID available if you want to use it

... it's not conclusive proof that you're necessarily looking at a discriminating pulse. it is NOT a discriminating pulse if you mean VLF like - phase shift based variable discrimination. The manta has iron ID based on the decay time of eddy currents in targets. It operates quite differently - some may not like it - others will find it very useful

As if it's finally the combining of the standard coin machine (effortlessly passing nails, and good TID), the video clearly shows its ability to ignore or signal nails - .It is most assuredly NOT a coin machine - fully utilizing the iron ID feature would also eliminate high conductors like coins

WITH the fabled depth of pulse, and fabled ability in black sand.....as far as pulse depth, it is likely the deepest beach PI ever designed and the video clearly shows it looking right through what looks like about 10” of black volcanic sand.

.. .financial interests by Co. owners, does not necessarily point in the affirmative direction. I’m not sure what that sentence means. I talked about how the Manta project was able to demonstrate that alll their claims were for real to the extent that one of the most experienced detector engineers around, and the CEO of his company were convinced enough to spend a lot of money to acquire it and even more to bring it to production

Again, thanks for the mental stimulus

P.S. as far as the cat’s meow - As a long time cat owner, I can sure you that no cats’ meows are incorporated in any of the embedded software of the Manta - EU rules prohibit it.

Rick, good discussion. My replies in red below :

Tom_in_CA
....Could simply be something that just adds to more whistles & bells (as tends to be the case with most all new machines for the last 10 to 20 yrs.). I have looked pretty closely and see neither bells or whistles - just a deep PI detector with usable iron ID available if you want to use it

But the "looking pretty closely ..." is (let's be honest) that one video. Right ? But as I have pointed out before: Over flagged known separated targets, it's possible to do some pretty impressive tests. Eg.: SO TOO could similar tests, showing similar feats, be shown with the TDI. Yet in actual field conditions.... hard to replicate those results. There are many many staged tests which, on the surface, look admittedly amazing and indisputable. But it's possible to (subconsciously) "tune-the-machine-to-the-target" so-to-speak.

... it's not conclusive proof that you're necessarily looking at a discriminating pulse. it is NOT a discriminating pulse if you mean VLF like - phase shift based variable discrimination. The manta has iron ID based on the decay time of eddy currents in targets. It operates quite differently - some may not like it - others will find it very useful

Ok, great. You say here yourself, it is not going to mimic the discriminating abilities that we've come-to-expect on our VLF's. And sure, some will like it. There is markets and lovers, for machines of all sorts. All I'm trying to point out here, is that , at first blush, (based on the video), you can't deny that images of iron-rejection (akin to VLF) and high vs low, and pulse-like black-sand-ability, are what is conjured up in the mind of the viewers. Ie.: the perfect marriage of pulse + VLF. And you're saying here yourself: That this is not the case. Ok .

As if it's finally the combining of the standard coin machine (effortlessly passing nails, and good TID), the video clearly shows its ability to ignore or signal nails - .It is most assuredly NOT a coin machine - fully utilizing the iron ID feature would also eliminate high conductors like coins

Well, sure .... and perhaps for the beach: "Who cares about high conductive USA coins anyhow ?". And if/when using the iron disc. ability , can you kiss the fabled depth goodbye ? And if it's only to a percentage (I think you said 80%) of the depth ability, doesn't that leave nagging doubts that send users out to dig a bunch "just to be sure" ? Or if they just say "phooeey" and pass those fringe targets, are they left with nothing more than VLF depth then ? If so, why not just use VLF ?

Perhaps the answer is that it will do this in black wet-salt minerals that shut VLF down, right ? Ok, for an area where pulse is a must (Dockweiler in So. CA after storms, etc...)

WITH the fabled depth of pulse, and fabled ability in black sand.....as far as pulse depth, it is likely the deepest beach PI ever designed and the video clearly shows it looking right through what looks like about 10” of black volcanic sand.

Ok, but don't forget one of the downsides of extreme pulse depth: The bells of notre dame ring on every birdshot or staple, right ? Which is fine if micro-jewelry is one's goal I suppose.

.. .financial interests by Co. owners, does not necessarily point in the affirmative direction. I’m not sure what that sentence means. I talked about how the Manta project was able to demonstrate that alll their claims were for real to the extent that one of the most experienced detector engineers around, and the CEO of his company were convinced enough to spend a lot of money to acquire it and even more to bring it to production

It means exactly as it said : The "spending a lot of money to acquire" does not necessarily mean "Therefore it does all that we can muse on these threads". History is FULL of companies who invested in new ideas and notions, that ... either didn't become this "cat's meow", or were just another set of whistles and bells, or flopped, etc..... The expenditure of $$ does not necessarily equates to "it does as we/they muse".

And as you say yourself "some may not like it - others will find it very useful ". Yes, sure. I've even seen a guy using a high-powered minelab nugget machine on the beach here, who could effortlessly find nickels and quarters beyond 1.5 ft. deep ! And he "liked it". Sure, there's a market for about everything, right ? But the question is: Is it going to do what we're musing here, or not ?

OK, You write a lot faster than me! Lol

The “AwuaManta” is a gold finding machine for salt water beaches. They expect it will be the best such device ever produced. After a few hundred of them are in the hands of dedicated beach hunters, it will be clearly seen whether it is likely to live up to those expectations.

One minor quibble with your latest post. There is absolutely no reason that this machine will react to tiny specks of aluminum, etc, - unless you are looking for tiny gold. If you are looking for tiny gold, no detector on earth will find it unless it is also finding tiny aluminum at the same time. On the other hand, if you are looking for rings, a simple adjustment of the pulse delay control will ignore tiny low conductors.

There are no “live hunt” videos of the Manta - none have been made - I have asked. I am told by LE JAG who has tested successive versions over 3 years that the demonstrations in the video are truly representative of its real-world performance. The piles of rings he has found with it - along with his assertion that it beats any other PI at finding gold at the beach (And he has tried nearly all of them) make me believe that it will be excellent at what it is intended for.

It is intended for NOTHING ELSE. Not coinshooting (on their beach or elsewhere) not relic hunting inland, not nugget hunting.

Later PI machines in the series are intended to address these markets with design features aimed at downing the specific “job to be done”

At the end of the day, the first few dozen users will quickly decide where this machine belongs on a scale form OK to amazing.

You and I will have to wait and see. Until then I will continue to post any info or insights I have on the program and expect that plenty of cold water from the High Sierras will be handy for your use. It’s likely to be really hot when we get back to AZ in August - cool water is nice.

N/T