Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sabre plate belt keeper

Digger70pa

I found these relics today in a hammered out Yankee camp. The find of the day for me was the belt keeper.:usaflag:

Nice finds. Those cleaner bullets may mean they stuck around the area for awhile. Over 150 years ago the last man to touch those finds were soldiers until you brought them to light. I think about that when I find CW relics. HH :minelab:

They may have been there a day or two. I do think about the history of the relics I find. I found these in Northern Maryland, It's a camp just before Gettysburg.

The belt keeper has a beautiful patina on it.

It is a pretty green color.

Nice belt keeper. Those soldiers didnt like those william's cleaner bullets and would toss them aside pretty regularly. Good day of diggin for sure. :thumbup: cch.

CCH, I wonder why they didn't like them? I do seem to find the type ones regularly, The two's not as much & I have to go to later in the war spots to find three's. I don't think I've found a type three at a Gettysburg campaign camp or skirmish sight yet. They are said to come out of 12TH corps camps. Have you read this somewhere, Just wondering? Thanks TIM

I have read that those cleaner bullets were made to remove 'some' of the black powder from the barrell when fired out of muzzleloader type guns. That zinc insert washer portion at the bottom of the cleaner supposedly expanded just a little bit when fired and brought with it some of the black powder out of the gun barrell....thus cleaning it a bit. A large majority of US soldiers did not believe that they were accurate or effective as regular loads (even though they probably were) so they basically tossed them. They were issued 1 for every 15 (approximately) regular minie loads. The cleaners were issued to Union Troops as the Confeds didnt have a cleaner type bullet but would use some of the ones they found ,came across or simply captured. I've found only a few down this way as the Confeds didnt have many of them.

Looks like someone missed a few items... Great finds!!!!
I never get tired of finding bullets and you got a nice variety there too!!
Keep it up!!