Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sad Coin

Odanscoils

So last couple days I've finally gotten out.
About an hour or so.
After almost two yrs in bed.
Still very weak.
I've just been given permission to dig an 1830's homestead.
Lived in upto 2020.
Sadly it was bulldozed before I got to it.
Trash everywhere. Rolled with sticky clay with brush, tree's and roots sticking up everywhere.
House,garage and the usual metals in both rolled into the clay as well.
Very tough just walking let alone swinging a coil.

First day after work.

Tried the Nel Snake coil first on the Tejon.
First disc set to just hit a nickel.
Second disc set to hit Only copper and silver.
Found a loud,clear and kinda smooth sounding silver barber dime about 6-7" down.. Sadly I lost it digging another target. Really liking this Snake coil.
I wasn't prepared. Didn't have my bag or goodies box. I was going to poke around and get a feel for the location. But after hitting that little silver.
Well the adrenaline kicked in.
First I tried working around where the house was.
Hoping to find some more coins amongst the usual nails. Nope. Nadda. Just trash.
So I tried looking for the kids pocket drops in what I suspected was the play area. Couple modern quarters, 1976 quarter, memorial Penny and a stinkin Lincoln. Still I'm Not finding the expected coppers and most certainly not the silvers.
Kept poking around and decided to try near the road under the 13 thousand volt power lines.
I had changed back to the factory coil on the Tejon. 6×9 DD I think is the size. I believe I posted a pic in this thread.
Anyway moving along getting crushed cans.
Lifting the coil still hitting em a foot or more off the ground. Yup cans.
Then I hit this loud quick target. Though it had a mellowness to it. Kinda smooth. Not like anything I've heard so far. Remember I'm a complete nuby to the Tejon.
All I had was my little hand mattox. Boy was that sticky Clay a major pain digging with that.
Digging an digging I couldn't quite locate it.
Finally I just decided to go for it and dig a deep hole and wide. About 10" down. Rolled the clay ball over. Grabbed my carrot and dug what looked like a half dollar.
The clay was like glue. And didn't wanna rub it hard. Wiped the edge and saw that sweet green.
Oh man did I just dig a large Cent. Oh yeah I sure did. Around here that's a special kinda find.
My First. Yea !!!

OK now I'm onna roll.
Working back away from the road towards the kids spot. I get another sharper though large signal.
I wasn't gonna dig it. Though it just had that sound dig me. Certain it was trash.
Again had to dig a Wide deep hole.
Rolled out this big mass of soupy clay.
Carrot kept saying it's here. Though just not seeing anything but twigs,brush and iron trash rolled into the clay by the dozer.
As I'm pushing it back into the hole out pops the handle of this spoon. A solid copper silver plated Milford Silver Co spoon. Sweet. Never dug one of those either. My first in sooo many years.

Today after work all excited and happy to give it another go.
Again with the Tejon and Sniper coil.
Try going slower picking around the stubbles near the house. Nothing. Just big trash.
Put on the stock coil. Started gridding the rest of the front and side yard. Nothing but cans, irons sweetie sounding junk. And those dam chunks of copper pipe pieces. This time I brought my nice diggn shovel. Still digging in that clay with everything rolled in, bricks and all the trash was a nightmare. Started digging the loud big targets hoping to get lucky. Aluminum showerhead and ground up aluminum engine parts. After twenty or so of those I'm beat. Just getting my strength back this is kicking my but.
So tomorrow I'm gonna try my Sovereign GT with the Snake coil on it first. And try working slower amongst the iron. Then I'll try the 13" Ultimate coil and maybe the Tejon again out in the scraped bare field. All clay with streaks of clay slime and trash here an there.
From experience I believe this site was hit hard back in the seventies or 80's.
Most machines even today won't operate well under the power lines. Why the Tejon found that crusty large Cent. Love how smooth it is under power lines.
Fertilizer really ate up that large Cent.
Wish me luck tomorrow.
Any tips on running the Tejon at a site like this ?

Attachments​

• 10839.jpeg
    10839.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 10838.jpeg
    10838.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 10837.jpeg
    10837.jpeg
    116.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20220429_205614.jpg
    IMG_20220429_205614.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20220429_205543.jpg
    IMG_20220429_205543.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20220429_204650.jpg

Attachments

• 10867.jpeg
    10867.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 10868.jpeg
    10868.jpeg
    72.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 10869.jpeg
    10869.jpeg
    78.7 KB · Views: 87
Holy smokes odanscoil!! 2 years in bed? I pray you heal up brother. Little by little build your stamina back up.
Hopefully you can get back and find that barber dime and sweet find on the large cent!! Can you get a date off of it ?

I love the story, felt like I was standing over your shoulder!!!!! Good job!!!’

Holy smokes odanscoil!! 2 years in bed? I pray you heal up brother. Little by little build your stamina back up.
Hopefully you can get back and find that barber dime and sweet find on the large cent!! Can you get a date off of it ?
Thank you Jimmy CT.
Actually this is my second time down.
After surgery in 2010 from the accident.
I was bed ridden two years and off work 3 1/2 years. Took a year getting my strength back.
Though I'll never be the thick lineman I used to be.
5 1/2 years total on my back.
The coin I put to soak in solution to get the calcium off.
This area was once an inland ocean,, lake Erie.
The calcium is heavy from the old beach front.
Concord Ohio is the second ridge beach head.
Anyway I feel asleep waiting on the solution to remove the calcium. Woke up around 2 am.
Oh crap I forgot about the coin.
Took it to the sink rinsed it off.
Bare pure copper. I lost that wonderful green patina. 😔
Wish I knew a way to recreate that without burying it in dirt and waiting another 100 yrs. 😅
The date is readable now though.
Raining today so not going out.
I'll keep poking around until Sheetz starts construction. Lands for sale though the deal isn't final I'm told. This was the original home site. Still standing until the property was raised.
Sad how this beautiful countryside is getting built up. First st rt 44 came thru cutting the farm in half. Then rt 90 about destroyed the rest.
Almost a square mile farm back in the day.
Now knowing that. There's still a Lot of virgin woods to get permission on.
Though I really need to get the garden tractor going. Grass is near a ft tall by the farm field.
I am most certainly enjoying that Tejon.
A fabulous machine. Wish I had bought it years ago. It's tonalities are Impressive.
You'd never think that from a Beep an Dig.
Dummy me saw them as toy machines.
Boy was I wrong.

Extremely well told story! I could see a mind's eye picture every step of the way. Congrats on getting back at it. Keep healin' and keep posting please!
Thank You UT Mike.
Hopefully I hold together.
And no more seeing if my oll Craftsman lawn tractor can fly.
Caught the edge of an embankment with front wheel. Hit wrong gear trying to get unstuck. And launched it on over.
Came completely out of the seat. Landed on the steel backed seat upside down mid spine. Ouchy.
Doc says there's still blood pooling in two of my vertibrae mid thorastic spine. A real concern.
Though the doc says the bone is solid enough now to push my body in hopes the activity will stop the blood from trying to replace bone.

Attachments

• IMG_20191021_084446282.jpg
    IMG_20191021_084446282.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 66
So last couple days I've finally gotten out.
About an hour or so.
After almost two yrs in bed.
Still very weak.
I've just been given permission to dig an 1830's homestead.
Lived in upto 2020.
Sadly it was bulldozed before I got to it.
Trash everywhere. Rolled with sticky clay with brush, tree's and roots sticking up everywhere.
House,garage and the usual metals in both rolled into the clay as well.
Very tough just walking let alone swinging a coil.

First day after work.

Tried the Nel Snake coil first on the Tejon.
First disc set to just hit a nickel.
Second disc set to hit Only copper and silver.
Found a loud,clear and kinda smooth sounding silver barber dime about 6-7" down.. Sadly I lost it digging another target. Really liking this Snake coil.
I wasn't prepared. Didn't have my bag or goodies box. I was going to poke around and get a feel for the location. But after hitting that little silver.
Well the adrenaline kicked in.
First I tried working around where the house was.
Hoping to find some more coins amongst the usual nails. Nope. Nadda. Just trash.
So I tried looking for the kids pocket drops in what I suspected was the play area. Couple modern quarters, 1976 quarter, memorial Penny and a stinkin Lincoln. Still I'm Not finding the expected coppers and most certainly not the silvers.
Kept poking around and decided to try near the road under the 13 thousand volt power lines.
I had changed back to the factory coil on the Tejon. 6×9 DD I think is the size. I believe I posted a pic in this thread.
Anyway moving along getting crushed cans.
Lifting the coil still hitting em a foot or more off the ground. Yup cans.
Then I hit this loud quick target. Though it had a mellowness to it. Kinda smooth. Not like anything I've heard so far. Remember I'm a complete nuby to the Tejon.
All I had was my little hand mattox. Boy was that sticky Clay a major pain digging with that.
Digging an digging I couldn't quite locate it.
Finally I just decided to go for it and dig a deep hole and wide. About 10" down. Rolled the clay ball over. Grabbed my carrot and dug what looked like a half dollar.
The clay was like glue. And didn't wanna rub it hard. Wiped the edge and saw that sweet green.
Oh man did I just dig a large Cent. Oh yeah I sure did. Around here that's a special kinda find.
My First. Yea !!!

OK now I'm onna roll.
Working back away from the road towards the kids spot. I get another sharper though large signal.
I wasn't gonna dig it. Though it just had that sound dig me. Certain it was trash.
Again had to dig a Wide deep hole.
Rolled out this big mass of soupy clay.
Carrot kept saying it's here. Though just not seeing anything but twigs,brush and iron trash rolled into the clay by the dozer.
As I'm pushing it back into the hole out pops the handle of this spoon. A solid copper silver plated Milford Silver Co spoon. Sweet. Never dug one of those either. My first in sooo many years.

Today after work all excited and happy to give it another go.
Again with the Tejon and Sniper coil.
Try going slower picking around the stubbles near the house. Nothing. Just big trash.
Put on the stock coil. Started gridding the rest of the front and side yard. Nothing but cans, irons sweetie sounding junk. And those dam chunks of copper pipe pieces. This time I brought my nice diggn shovel. Still digging in that clay with everything rolled in, bricks and all the trash was a nightmare. Started digging the loud big targets hoping to get lucky. Aluminum showerhead and ground up aluminum engine parts. After twenty or so of those I'm beat. Just getting my strength back this is kicking my but.
So tomorrow I'm gonna try my Sovereign GT with the Snake coil on it first. And try working slower amongst the iron. Then I'll try the 13" Ultimate coil and maybe the Tejon again out in the scraped bare field. All clay with streaks of clay slime and trash here an there.
From experience I believe this site was hit hard back in the seventies or 80's.
Most machines even today won't operate well under the power lines. Why the Tejon found that crusty large Cent. Love how smooth it is under power lines.
Fertilizer really ate up that large Cent.
Wish me luck tomorrow.
Any tips on running the Tejon at a site like this ?

Attachments​

• 10839.jpeg
    10839.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 10838.jpeg
    10838.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 10837.jpeg
    10837.jpeg
    116.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20220429_205614.jpg
    IMG_20220429_205614.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20220429_205543.jpg
    IMG_20220429_205543.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20220429_204650.jpg
Terrific finds, congratulations! Glad your up and about because you needed to get some cool targets to give you another boost

Thank You Ronstar.
I do love to wright. Just never enough time.

Just take it slow & easy--you have been through a lot & don't want to undo the healing that has been done! God be with you & heal you faster & keep you that way! I know it has been slow in healing & being able to detect again, but ya don't want to lose what health you've gained! Pray & God's Holy Spirit will let you know when to detect & will direct thy path leading to the hidden goodies & I hope the digging gets easier--I hate sticky Clay but is used to build bricks & etc. The thrill of your detecting & finds was exciting & clear to the Reader, as if we were there with you--but happy to have escaped that messy, gluey Clay YUCKY-YUCK, YUCK! :thumbup: Ma

So I was able to hit it again yesterday after work.
Just 30 minutes. Aching and painful getting back up. Boy this is gonna take some time getting back in shape.
Brought the Sovereign GT. Though I forgot I left the 5×10 Coiltek coil on. Brad new. Never used it.
Certainly Much better than the factory concentric.
As I was casually swinging heading for the rear of this lot.
Found this Montana quarter not 10' from my vehicle in the course gravel drive. 6" down.
Went out into the scraped clay soil.
Signals are sparse out here. Not to much trash.
I believe the 13" Ultimate will do very well here.
Though that means I'll be digging even Deeper holes. 😅
Didn't find anything good so far.
At least I didn't get skunked this time.
Got a quarter and found this well used shovel.
Blade is buckled though solid.
I renforced the dryed out handle.
Heavy cloth tape then a self vulcanizing rubber.
Now I'll hammer some rolled edges on the sides to give it more strength than new.
Old auto bodyman skills still come in handy.
Very light from mixing concrete. Blade is quite thin. I like that. Maybe it will do well in this clay.
Hopefully it will be my new Lucky shovel having saved it from certain doom. 😁
Hopefully better finds to come.
Though I doubt I'll top that large Cent.
Wondering if she had a few friends ???☺️

Attachments

• IMG_20220501_123258_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20220501_123258_hdr.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20220501_123646.jpg
    IMG_20220501_123646.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20220501_123638.jpg
    IMG_20220501_123638.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Just take it slow & easy--you have been through a lot & don't want to undo the healing that has been done! God be with you & heal you faster & keep you that way! I know it has been slow in healing & being able to detect again, but ya don't want to lose what health you've gained! Pray & God's Holy Spirit will let you know when to detect & will direct thy path leading to the hidden goodies & I hope the digging gets easier--I hate sticky Clay but is used to build bricks & etc. The thrill of your detecting & finds was exciting & clear to the Reader, as if we were there with you--but happy to have escaped that messy, gluey Clay YUCKY-YUCK, YUCK! :thumbup: Ma
Thank You Ma.
Love your inspirational posts and comments.
Will try to take it easy.
But if I dig another first. Early Silver dollar Barber !
Or a jar of them.
(Skipped a bunch of those iffy variable large signals). Maybe try those next.
All bets are Off. 😁😅😅🤗

Congratulations! Looks like you are doing very well with the Tejon and the Sovereign. I pray you get healed up and find all the silver and large coppers there. Be careful though, sometimes large cans are large silver instead. With the Tejon, sometimes you will lose silver in the nails as disc goes up. HH and GL
Thanks PW.
Yes I was thinking of that. Just so many of them.
And truly near impossible digging without going ape and possibly damaging any sweet coins.
I'm hoping I'll at least have a month here.
They still have to raise the four large buildings out back after the Tennant's move. Could be more goodies. Though I'm not certain Sheetz has finaled the deal. I just turned the power on at their Vrooman Rd Sheetz site. Painesville Ohio. Haven't seen any signs of them shutting down digging there either. Anyway it goes.
I'll keep posting and digging as my body will allow.
If it's ok with everybody. I'll just keep adding to this post ?
I haven't even tried digging those button signals yet. Too elusive in the clay. As it dries up more I'll hit those tiny signals. Which are Everywhere.
Hopefully I don't get any scalpers.
Knowing a number of locals read and post here.
Owner is quite active on trespassing. Cameras.
If somebody wants to tag along. PM me.
And bring a tough shovel.

Last edited: