Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Salt water mode ????

badarse

Ok I've been lurking about and have a few questions. For some reason at this time of year I always get the itch to try something new. I have seen 1 video of how the CTX performs in salt water but it was like a pool of water with no motion. How does this thing do on a fast moving surf with wave activity and in the waves. I remember my explorer days with constant button pushing and adjusting from one moment to the next. Don't want a repeat of that. I am use to my sovereign...turn it on and go dig. Quiet in the surf most all of the time. Can the ferrous tones be turned off so that it is more like a sovereign or will small gold be missed? How about an air test on a nickel? I have found with sovereigns that air testing is very accurate as to what a machine will do on a beach. If I get 15 inches on an air test I will get that and even more in a beach environment. With the scarcity of gold jewelry lately just trying to justify the sticker price befor I dive in.

Appreciate all thoughts and comments.

Bob

Hi... I took the CTX to La Jolla Shores, CA yesterday just to test it on one of the worst black sand beaches you will ever see anywhere. It was rock solid in the water and on the beach. I experimented with reverse discrimination and with the regular Beach/Seawater discrimate mode and never had a problem in moving water. I've owned two Sovereigns, two Excaliburs, an Explorer and other machines that always needed adjusting on that beach. I found a Silver ring and money while just fooling around with the settings. I'm still reading the manual and Drayton's book about the machine so I'm not an expert on the CTX, but it's fun learning.

Nes (south Coast-CA) said:
Hi... I took the CTX to La Jolla Shores, CA yesterday just to test it on one of the worst black sand beaches you will ever see anywhere. It was rock solid in the water and on the beach. I experimented with reverse discrimination and with the regular Beach/Seawater discrimate mode and never had a problem in moving water. I've owned two Sovereigns, two Excaliburs, an Explorer and other machines that always needed adjusting on that beach. I found a Silver ring and money while just fooling around with the settings. I'm still reading the manual and Drayton's book about the machine so I'm not an expert on the CTX, but it's fun learning.

Hi Nes!

What was your sensitivity?

Hi... I didn't change from the basic Beach/Seawater program. I kept it in auto. I was thinking last night that I'll experiment using Manual Sensitivity the next time I go to that beach and see how far up I can dial it until it goes bonkers, if it does. I do know this, my Excalibur would always make some noise when water washed over the coil and so did the Explorer no matter what the settings were. I switched over to Pattern 2 ( without discrimination ) just so I could hear targets when the coil passed over them, and they were all junk when I went back to discrimination mode. My feeling is that the machine will sound off on every good target. I'm new at this machine, but it is a Minelab.

I haven't had my CTX in any wave action yet, to cold for my dainty So. Cal. upbringing! But, I was at a So. Cal. beach this past Sunday for a neg. 1.2 low tide and the CTX ran very quiet in the wet and dry sand. I was using a "no" discrimination, completely open screen; ground coin; normal pinpoint; conductive sounds with the sensitivity maxed at 30. Not a problem.

Bob;
I had the chance to use mine on the beach and in the water (chest deep)
on St Pete beach last month. I was using the stock beach and saltwater
auto sensitivity 50 tone coin ground.
the beach was groomed so there were almost no targets in the dry sand
I found a stainless ring at the wet sand wave line and a silver ring chest deep in the gulf
there was moderate wave action for the gulf 1 foot swells at the chest deep level and small
breakers at shore. The ctx was rock solid with only a rare bump falsing when chest deep
I have had both explorer and excal and had to re balance the explorer frequently and
had wave falsing some with the excal

Getting any depth on targets chest deep? Doesn't seem like too many are using the CTX in the salt water or it's not doing well in that environment. Fla beaches are not that mineralized, was hoping to get a report from an experienced user on a more mineralized beach up in the northeast. Thanks for the reply.

Bob

it took several tries with the sunspot scoop
I was having some difficulty staying in one spot with the swells
the ring was .925 silver and had been in the water for some time judging by the
amount of corrosion
have not had the chance to try any mineralized beaches