Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sand scoop recommendation anyone??

Dan(NM)

I'm in the process of moving to Texas and will be very close to Lake Travis. I need to add to my gear, a decent sand scoop for fresh water hunting. Can someone recommend one that won't break the bank. I'm not sure what type of soil/sand/dirt I'm going to encounter, so, I may have to wait until I get over there later this month, thanks.

My recomendation is to buy quality or else you'll buy cheap over and over.

You could always try that quest scoopal.. it won't break the bank... maybe one of the sponsers here has them?

OutlawDetectors said:
You could always try that quest scoopal.. it won't break the bank... maybe one of the sponsers here has them?

You mean the ones that are knock-offs of the Stealth by Sunspot, which are being made in china? :rolleyes:

"Xtreme Scoops" out of Houston has some great scoop options. John stands by the construction/welds as well. I own one with the fiberglass shaft option. Has held up in my mixed ground with a lot of river rock hunting.

Another Scoopal user and I'm very happy, my son has the Stealth which is bulletproof and will last a very long time, but it's a big scoop to haul around all day, he is young so no issue.

Salt water hunting is different. The water is constantly moving requiring that you recover the target as soon as possible. That is why larger scoops are preferred. For a lake? A smaller diameter would work providing it has the ability to cut through whatever you will be digging in. With the rules of this Forum it is hard to mention brand names that are not sponsors. But you posted the question on other forums. You will get answers.

First thing you need to figure out is whats the bottom like. Round nosed and even some shovel nosed scoops may tend to roll ....... so a scoop like the SunSpots might be your best choice. Think about the size of holes you want..... as well as the targets you intend to dig. Smaller ones might require smaller holes in the back...... or just smaller holes. If you just opt to hunt for larger targets go with larger/faster drain holes. Sometimes to small can require you to make a sifter for faster recover of targets as you go. I do like Sunspot because they have such a wide range of scoops and a good warranty and Chuck will do one about any way you want it. I use Starvr... smaller scoop and holes work at my beach for how i hunt and the conditions. I used to use one with 1/4 holes that was just way to heavy that caught a lot of shells i had to look thru. Keep in mind..... smaller holes and a larger scoop requires you to lift a LOT of material and shake it.