Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Saturday's finds

LandOLincoln

Went out yesterday for a couple hours. Found 3 pennies(66, 68, 82) and two trade tokens from some store or bar in Bradford Il called Dorgan and Blood. I did a google seach but didn't come up with any information on them. One is a $0.10 token and the other is a $0.20. My brother found a chauffeur's badge from 1922. Looked to be made out of silver.

I grew up on a farm outside of Bradford. At the end of every school year, the school bus driver would take us to Dorgan's for a candy bar and soda. I never went there otherwise, but some of the town kids hung out there. It was sort of a pool hall, with snacks. This would of been in the 60's- 70's. I don't recall ever hearing of Dorgan's and Blood, but will ask some older Bradford people when I get a chance. Where were you hunting? You don't have to be specific, but anywhere close to Bradford?

Very cool finds. Congrats and would love to see some pictures. HH, Nancy

I love those tokens Andrew and I have a Token book for Illinois, I will try to look it up a little later......... we just got home and I have some things to get done first.

I'll try and get a picture of the badge up. The tokens are pretty rough. I think they are made out of tin and arent in the best shape. The place we went isn't my site so I can't give any locations. Maybe Eric will bring the badge with him when we come to our first meeting this month.

For Bradford, I found a listing for Dorgan and Flood, a 10 cent token good in trade. It is listed as an aluminum, 25 millimeters in diameter and 8 sided. It is listed as an R5 which is considered very rare, 5 to 10 known tokens. The 20 cent token is not listed and the larger denominations are often considered more rare and could very well be an R6, extremely rare, 1-5 known pieces.

Good hunting Andrew.

Bill Dorgan and his five daughters ran a Bradford restaurant. At some point the building burned, and the business was moved closer to the bridge. The Bradford business district is basicly two blocks long. After the move, they had a soda fountain and a couple of pool tables. When I lived in the area I believe Marge and one other sister were the only ones left. None of the sisters ever married. The place was well known for it's maidrite style sandwiches. You might want to call the Bradford library to see if they have a newspaper article or two about the place.

I assumed it said Blood but the "B" could very well have been and "F" the tokens aren't in that great of shape. Thanks for the info. I'll try and pick up a tumbler this week and try to get them cleaned up.

The best thing I have found for cleaning up aluminum tokens is a small brass wire brush. Chances are it is already pitted and you can't really do much more damage than already done. It will leave small scratches on the token but often will clean it up pretty nice for display purposes.

Cool tokens. They're made of aluminum. Sure hope to you see you two at the meeting. Bring your finds too! HH, Nancy

Nice finds. My buddy and I hunted Bradford a few times in the 70's. I remember him finding an AU 1918 standing liberty quarter in an area I had just detected. Hard to forget something like that. It looks like you guys have a hot area where you're hunting. Good luck. Daryl