Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sealing the Equinox 800

jayhop

I know I'm beating a dead horse but...
Minelab and some others say that there WERE a few Equinox detectors early on that leaked.
And that it was a small percentage of the machines that were sold.
Now the small percentage part may be right, but only because a small percentage of the machines actually go into the water over the control pod. (My assumption)
Search, Sealing the Equinox 800 on YouTube. Video posted today.
I'm pretty sure the person in the video and two other YouTubers I watch have had 2 machines each flood.
I plan on Sealing my first Equinox after water season this year if it doesn't flood first or if I don't sell it. My warranty runs out in November.
But anyway the videos may be useful to some.
I really wish Minelab would extend the warranty at least for flooding since there have been so many problems. But I'm pretty sure that ain't going to happen.

I hear you. I had about a dozen or so trips with my 800 fully submerged...no issues. Then one day I took it out to go land hunting and noticed water inside the pod/screen....and got a CD error. Had to return it and wait 4 weeks to get it back...but I did by my "backup" detector...er...a detector for my wife, yeah that's it...my wife's detector to use while waiting ;) It is the Vanquish 540, very nice backup detector!

I hear you. I had about a dozen or so trips with my 800 fully submerged...no issues. Then one day I took it out to go land hunting and noticed water inside the pod/screen....and got a CD error. Had to return it and wait 4 weeks to get it back...but I did by my "backup" detector...er...a detector for my wife, yeah that's it...my wife's detector to use while waiting ;) It is the Vanquish 540, very nice backup detector!
Yeah my wife doesn't know, it but if anything happens to my Equinox, her Vanquish 540 is my backup.😆

I would test it underwater before the warranty ends stick in the bathtub if it leaks send it back..
Mark

I have had mine in water many times so far.. no issues yet BUT one day I was in my house getting ready for a water hunt when my wife asked me , what is that little round thing on your chair? Turns out the o-ring fell out of my coil connector ..fortunately I figured out what it was and just stuck it back in..when I think of all the times I’ve changed coils out in the field it was just dumb that it fell out on my hair and we even noticed it...every time I go water hunting now I double check to make sure it’s in there...it would be interesting to know where these units failed..

For the folks who have submerged their Noxs', have they identified if the leakage had been exclusive to salt, brackish or freshwater hunting? Wondering what the data shows.
I have about 1.5 years to go on my warranty and have been reluctant to submerge my Nox completely in the ocean.

Had my 800 in surf about 150 - 200 hrs over 23 months before it drowned. Got replacement in 1 week! [About 1 month ago.]
Second unit has been in surf for about 20 hrs so far and fine. But once 3 yr warranty is up it will become a dry sand and land machine and I'll buy another one before the battery is recharged. Fantastic machine for the beach, as long as pod is above water. Splashing and rain are fine. I'm VERY interested in finding a way to further water proof machine.

I have gone to Hawaii many times over the last 20 years and only a few times have I taken a land only machine. 1280x and Infinium have been my main detectors and have proven their worth. I have been looking at the Nox 800 but won't pull the trigger until the problem is fixed. Right now, I am waiting for the WATERPROOF Nokta Macro multifrequency machine to see how it rates compared to Minelab's machines. If it performs as a waterproof detector should, the 800 won't be among my arsenal.

I have gone to Hawaii many times over the last 20 years and only a few times have I taken a land only machine. 1280x and Infinium have been my main detectors and have proven their worth. I have been looking at the Nox 800 but won't pull the trigger until the problem is fixed. Right now, I am waiting for the WATERPROOF Nokta Macro multifrequency machine to see how it rates compared to Minelab's machines. If it performs as a waterproof detector should, the 800 won't be among my arsenal.
I don't blame you, I'm looking forward to the Nokta machine myself. Hoping it will be a replacement for the equinox. I know that's what their intentions are. I just hope they deliver it free of major flaws and with similar technology.

Same here..

I’m a little troubled after reading about the leak problem.... the main reason for me picking up a brand new NOX 800 last month was for working the bedrock on the shallow creeks in the Ca. Foothills for nuggets....

I’m a little troubled after reading about the leak problem.... the main reason for me picking up a brand new NOX 800 last month was for working the bedrock on the shallow creeks in the Ca. Foothills for nuggets....
You may be lucky and not have a problem, plus you have a 3 Year warranty.
But there are several people that have had 2 or 3 units leak. And of course there are some that hadn't had a problem.
I've only submerged mine maybe 3 times. And I was shallow water hunting. So far no problems. But when the warranty runs out I will seal it the best I can.
And hopefully the new Nokta makro machine will replace the equinox.
In my opinion minelab should have solved the problem and replaced all units.

The upside (for me) is that I’ve been running ideas through my head on how to float a gold bug 2 in a creek ... having a “supposedly” waterproof base to build around, will make things easier.... my thoughts are to maybe run pontoon like floats on either side .... backpack straps for easy carry into the canyons....

Posted on the modifications area also....

I have not tried this yet. Seems to make sense. I would have covered the speaker a bit differently though.
Has anyone done this to their Equinox? I do a lot of water hunting and want to make sure I don't have to send my NOX in for repairs like a hear a few of the first buyers had to do.

It wasn't just the early machines, it's still happening.
I haven't sealed mine, if I still have it when the Warranty runs out I plan to then. But I really hope to get the new nokta makro simultaneous multi frequency machine and get out of the minelab brand.
Thanks for the video.

It wasn't just the early machines, it's still happening.
I haven't sealed mine, if I still have it when the Warranty runs out I plan to then. But I really hope to get the new nokta makro simultaneous multi frequency machine and get out of the minelab brand.
Thanks for the video.
That Nokta Makro looks interesting but I have to question the statements in their pre-release postings that they "plan to match or exceed" the Minelab 800. I like their plans for batteries...and I hope it is totally waterproof.....and we all know that Nokta makes some really great detectors. I would have preferred to hear from Nokta..."We are going to exceed all abilities of the Minelab Equinox"
What I really like about Nokta's coming out with that new one is.....COMPETITION. It will be interesting to see it when it comes out....which has been delayed because of the election infection. Will Minelab come out with an updated NOX? Time will tell.

That Nokta Makro looks interesting but I have to question the statements in their pre-release postings that they "plan to match or exceed" the Minelab 800. I like their plans for batteries...and I hope it is totally waterproof.....and we all know that Nokta makes some really great detectors. I would have preferred to hear from Nokta..."We are going to exceed all abilities of the Minelab Equinox"
What I really like about Nokta's coming out with that new one is.....COMPETITION. It will be interesting to see it when it comes out....which has been delayed because of the election infection. Will Minelab come out with an updated NOX? Time will tell.
To be honest It doesn't matter to me
what minelab does, if the nokta is equal that's all that matters to me. It's too hard to swallow all the problems with the equinox and the fact that they haven't extended the warranty but even went up on the price.
It's like they don't even pretend to care about the customers.

Yeah my wife doesn't know, it but if anything happens to my Equinox, her Vanquish 540 is my backup.😆
I bought the 440 for backup and for letting friends use it who want to go hunting with me. So similar to the 800 VDI and Tone, it is easy to coach them or tell them when to dig or not dig.