Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

SEF 12 x 15 butterfly coil

MackDog

Does anyone use the SEF 12 x 15 butterfly coil for the V3i or VX3? Is it good for coin hunting? Doe's it separate well?
Thanks for any help.
Happy Hunting

That's a heavy coil to swing. More coverage but only a small difference in depth. Can be tiring even with a swing assist, but that's my experience. I had that size SEF on another detector for beach and field use and went with the 12x10" SEF instead. On my V3i I have the 12x10" SEF and my new large favorite the 13" ultimate. The ultimate is a bit lighter and better balanced. It hits my 10" quarter very hard and consistent in my soil. I use the ultimate for farm fields and less trashy areas. For what it's worth my 10DD can hit that quarter.
My 2¢...

Using a swing thing to support the weight is a must. I hunt 99% of the time with my 15x12. I am called the quarter snob of my group because I find so many of them. Its a very good coil but it only has a 6 month life expectancy until it starts to false with a gain greater then 6 when its cold and 4 when its hot. It does not matter the frequency you chose and this is on a white unit. That being said a gain of 4 finds wheats at 6" plus and quarters at 10" and is very quiet with great separation.

I started with the stock 10DD on my v3i..Went to the SEF 10x12 I love it but it's no so go in trashy Area's where one will most likely be hunting for coins like Parks and such..I have had good luck with the SEF 6x8 in such areas of course you lose a little depth.... just my two cents..

Got the Detech SEF 12 x 15 coil. Took it out to a very hunted out park today. Scored 1912 D V nickel, 1900 Barber dime, 1903 IHP, 1942 Merc and 3 junker pieces of jewelry.

The depth is always deeper than the displayed depth. It does hit deeper and covers more area. My buddy ran his CTX the whole time and didn't do too hot. Thanks for looking.

Hey MackDog, nice going. It would have been telling if you and your buddy could have compared signal response over some of those targets before digging. Hey just may not have swung over those goodies. My friends that are running the CTX do very well on deep targets. Think about reporting back after more time with that monster coil.