Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

SEF COILS

Fletch88

Anyone tried the 5x10 SEF compared to the 6x8 SEF in very mineralized ground on the MXT?

I used the 8x6 and then bought the 5x10. I didn't really see any advantages so while the coil was still new I sold it and just kept the 8x6. Both are good coils, but both are approx same size and no real advantage one over the other. I hunted some old ghost towns in Eastern Oregon with some bad ground.

I've used both on very harsh ground Fletch, and still preferred the 8x6. Dunno, but I got the impression it slightly deeper with slightly better signal response. SEF 's are my favorite coils on a lot of machines, and that 8x6 I'm very fond of.
The 10x5 suffers what all skinny elliptical 's do, a thinning back of the blade toward the centre of the coil far too sharply, causing bad signal responses and cutting into depth. Where as the fat little 8x6 holds a nicer response .

I have both - do not have bad ground but hunting in trash I think the 5x10 cuts a finer edge, so it separates better. Not that the 8x6 is bad in fact I think it is very very good for its size, but that 5x10 for me seemed like a razor blade very sharp tight seperation. Others opinions may vary

. Not sure on depth but my gut tells me the 8x6 is deeper. But have not tested it for depth.

Thanks for all of your replies! I have decided to go the PI route for the highly mineralized areas I hunt in on occasion.

argyle1 said:
I've used both on very harsh ground Fletch, and still preferred the 8x6. Dunno, but I got the impression it slightly deeper with slightly better signal response. SEF 's are my favorite coils on a lot of machines, and that 8x6 I'm very fond of.
The 10x5 suffers what all skinny elliptical 's do, a thinning back of the blade toward the centre of the coil far too sharply, causing bad signal responses and cutting into depth. Where as the fat little 8x6 holds a nicer response .

If you use the Whites 6X10 it does not suffer from that, As the MXT was designed around the 6X10 But Whites decided to go with the 950 coil, The 5.3 coil will be deeper than the 8x6 coil, and the search patten is more uniform,

HH

sweeper60 said:
argyle1 said:

If you use the Whites 6X10 it does not suffer from that, As the MXT was designed around the 6X10 But Whites decided to go with the 950 coil, The 5.3 coil will be deeper than the 8x6 coil, and the search patten is more uniform,

HH

Won't the 5.3" coil require lots more overlaps, resulting in longer search time? I've personally never found a better all around coil that the 8x6 for depth, ESPECIALLY when compared to the OEM 6x10 Eclipse.

5900_XL-1 said:
sweeper60 said:
argyle1 said:

HH

Won't the 5.3" coil require lots more overlaps, resulting in longer search time? I've personally never found a better all around coil that the 8x6 for depth, ESPECIALLY when compared to the OEM 6x10 Eclipse.

The 8x6 has a possible depth of 7 to 8 inches and the 6x10 has a poss8 to 9 inches but it will hit coins at over 10 inches, and the 6x10 is very sensitive to tiny items because it is made for prospecting where as the 6x8 is made for coin shooting, So the 6x10 is the better coil,

My experience with the two coils was just the opposite of what you are saying sweeper. In my mineralized ground the 8X6 was the better coil in both depth and target ID. I wasn't all that impressed with the 6X10. I have read in less mineralized ground like on the Florida beaches the 6X10 is very well liked though.

Larry (IL) said:
My experience with the two coils was just the opposite of what you are saying sweeper. In my mineralized ground the 8X6 was the better coil in both depth and target ID. I wasn't all that impressed with the 6X10. I have read in less mineralized ground like on the Florida beaches the 6X10 is very well liked though.

G'day Larry

Tell me what model MXT are you using at the moment??

I have used Nancy's MXT and I had an M6 and DFX using the said coils, but I currently use the V3i and an E-Trac. I use the 8X6 in trashy hunts with the V3i.

Larry (IL) said:
I have used Nancy's MXT and I had an M6 and DFX using the said coils, but I currently use the V3i and an E-Trac. I use the 8X6 in trashy hunts with the V3i.

I was wondering because the new MXT All Pro seems to be real hot and I was wondering if anyone else has found this Too,

There's some You tube Video's out there on the SEF coils on The MXT, and there very surprising.