Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

short hunt this morning

shep

Finally got WM10 connected w/ 3030 and wanted to play w/ it. Have a friend who has property w/ a 'turtle pond' on it. When it had water in it, locals used to go swimming in it. Got permission to hunt it. Drive over I knew weeds would be knee high and a pain- but they weren't! It's been mowed-cool! Didn't really know what to expect, so I cherry picked. Area has a lot of pull tabs, bullets and lead weights in it. I dug any xx-38-48's and they were everywhere. Only had a couple of hours to hunt. Came home w/ a Franklin,3 quarters, 1-2 dimes and several pennies. First target was a 61 penny and second was a wheatie. Coins are for the most part severely corroded and believe that to be caused by the sulfur spring that fed the pond. Can't tell what the ring is yet. The front loader was probably all in one piece before I dug it up. The nickel was, I think a 12-12??
Love the machine and waiting on a 6" coil as we speak. Most targets were 4-9" deep.

Have coins in olive oil right now; any other ideas to clean?

Shep

Cleaning those may be a bit more than usual. One fella used Acetone to clean off the organic stuff, then used boiling Hydrogen Peroxide on shiny side aluminum foil. I would just scrub the pennies and nickels a bit with a toothbrush, then maybe lightly with a soft brass brush. Odds are that if they are that cruddy they aren't going to set any records on the market. If they are pennies, and you soak them for a day or so and the crud still will not pick off with a toothpick, try the old 2 board trick. Put them between two boards and whack the heck out of it with a hammer. That will pop a lot of the crud off. Me personally, I soak them a bit in soapy water, then brush with a toothbrush then if needed I use the brass brush - only on pennies and nickels. For silver I use a bit of baking soda paste, or electrolysis, or both. IMHO olive oil is a waste of good oil as I have soaked several IH's for months and it made absolutely no difference!

If not a Franklin, wouldn't it be a Walker? It's bigger then those 3 quaters so it's not a Standing.

My wrong, you're right! Pennies cleaned up pretty fast-3 wheats. ! quarter cleaned up pretty fast and reddish-2006. Nickle is a Jefferson-no date yet. Dimes a Rosy-no date yet. No other dates yet

I tried to clean 2 IHP's in vinegar and salt.... BAD MISTAKE!! It ate the details off of them... And to think I could read liberty on the 1905. Live and learn... I am still kicking myself!! :rage:

Finished wasting time on cleaning up coins. The walker is a 194x. The quarters are 1930,1978 and 2003 (funny using the drop test-all sound the same). The dime-a 198x. The ring is sterling. After next trip there, might try the electrolysis (sp?) method.

Next trip, using GH's combined mode, will continue hunting all 11,12,13- 38-thru 40s. In the pond below high water line (it's damp, but empty), I'm gonna go into prospecting mode w/ pick instead of hand scoop and pinpointer, and it should be much faster.

OR? do you think I would be better in High Trash mode and dig all?? Not concerned w/ nickels much, too much aluminum, but wouldn't mind finding some gold. I'm still a greenhorn w/ this CTX, hearing isn't the greatest as far as differentiating the tones, so I've been going by numbers and placement on the screen mostly.

Watched about every u-tube on the CTX (but did I mention- memory sucks too?) Appreciate any and all advise.

Thanks, Shep