Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Shovels at Parks or School

asiandigger

Just wondering why some MD guys/gals us a shovel to dig up parks and school. I think its a matter of time before they ban MD. What do you MD think?

if they fill in hole & take out trash, shovel is no problem.
But I've seen people with knife or plugger make a real mess too.
Bottom line is banning is usually some local bureaucrat acting as a dictator-because he can.

I would not recommend using shovels or long handled diggers at public sites. They give onlookers the impression that we are out to dig some seriously deep holes. That leads to complaints which can cause further problems. Probes and short handled diggers are fine.

I agree with mrwiburino , some of the parks here are immaculate, shape I usually just use a screw driver, on occasions I use a hand digger' and I always leave it spotless like I haven't been there, but I'm always afraid some one might call the parks authority or here in northern California, they have Park Rangers that patrols the city parks and school officer which patrols the local school.

imprisoned for committing a community service ( picking up others rubbish ) toss me in the clink for picking up other peoples rubbish I could use a rest and free room and board :biggrin:

AJ

vlad said:
if they fill in hole & take out trash, shovel is no problem.
But I've seen people with knife or plugger make a real mess too.
Bottom line is banning is usually some local bureaucrat acting as a dictator-because he can.

That's the way I see it too.

mrwilburino said:
I would not recommend using shovels or long handled diggers at public sites. They give onlookers the impression that we are out to dig some seriously deep holes. That leads to complaints which can cause further problems. Probes and short handled diggers are fine.
I agree.

AJ

cat11.jpg

I do not like to see shovels in parks or at schools.

I only use a screw driver or my knife for deeper targets.

The sight of a shovel might get us kicked out.

KEN

If you want metal detecting banned by the city, county., State etc then go ahead and use your shovels on public property..

A bit over a year ago I was detecting in a city park in North Carolina. One of the city employees came up to me and very nicely informed me that I was breaking the law by "Digging" in any of the city parks.

He stated that the city had passed an ordinance banning any digging in any of the city parks due to people "Digging up their soccer fields with SHOVELS.

You and I are both aware that a shovel in the proper hands can dig a neater plug than one can with a digging tool But people take a very dim view of anyone digging on public property with a shove. The public does not understand or care that you are doing it very neatly.

The City of Charleston SC has a ban on metal detecting on any city property and the County bans metal detecting in county parks. There are three county parks that have beach access. You can detect the beach but you can not detect in those parks either.

I am only one %^$#@&^% away from selling all my detectors for a GPZ and going bush full time to get away from the walkers , its not my job to make people feel good about themselves!!

they just drove their car which pumped out CO2 that's killing the planet from their house that's doing even worse and they somehow have inherited a right to tell me how I need to pick up their rubbish.

the problem here is people have no balls i have fought and will continue to fight for my rights i cower before no one especially over inflated do gooders who need to look at their own destructive actions before they pick on me.

i am not saying sorry to them they need to thank me for caring so much for their careless ways i spend my own money and time to pick up their crap.

so in short screw them...

and the rest of you need to grow a set and stand up for your rights...for gods sake you people in the US can walk around with a weapon (gun) but you cant touch a blade of grass that will heal in a couple of days but its ok to shot someone seriously something's just not right...

AJ

So you're on a nice field or park. Digging with a long handled shovel. Every body got a camera phone. Are you kidding me !

I'm with still looking. There is absolutely no need for a shovel anywhere except in the woods.

I must admit that just about any shovel sold at Predator Tools will keep bystanders away more readily than any digger will.

asiandigger said:
.... a shovel to dig up parks and school....

Why (oh why oh why) do you use that vernacular to describe md'ing (and the evil process of extraction) ? Let's be totally honest here asian-digger: What is the connotation/implication of that ?? HOLES. Of course. Ok, do you leave holes ? If so, whomever is leaving holes needs to return to recovery-101 class.

Because a person can do JUST as much damage ("digging up") with a screwdriver than he can with a shovel or lesche or whatever. In fact, I would argue that the larger digger (lesche or shovel) does LESS damage. Because you can cut nice and evenly, while retaining the maximum root ball in place so the divot remains intact to re-grow.

So let's be brutally honest here: What was the real intent of your question ? IMAGE. Because you and I know we'll leave no trace right ? Fine then: go at low traffic times and avoid such lookie-lous. It's gotten to where I do most of my turf-hunting at nights nowadays. So peaceful. So serene.

More under George's post below.

GeorgeinSC said:
.... informed me that I was breaking the law by "Digging" in any of the city parks. ....

I got news for ya: You are "breaking the law" in ANY city park by "digging" (yup, even the ones where no one ever "cared less"). It will fall under "deface" , "alter", "molest", "dig", etc.... But all such statutes INHERENTLY refer to the end result (ie.: deface versus defacED , etc....) I would even go so far as to argue dig vs dug. Since they too are merely English present tense vs past tense. It's just that we don't say "digged". And instead say "dug".

But in any case, if such verbiage that he says is "breaking the law" applies automatically to md'ing , then we can all just sit at home and take up needle point. Yup, even in places where you can md till you're blue in the face. I guarantee you they have something similar.

GeorgeinSC said:
.... due to people "Digging up their soccer fields with SHOVELS....

I say BS. Sure, they can SAY it's "due to" people who showed up with shovels. Or people who left holes etc.... But I'll bet you dollars to donuts no one can ever cite a case of holes/marks left. Here's what I mean: Be honest: What is the immediate knee-jerk connotation/image when a non-md'r is faced with the scene of a man swinging a metal detector ? HOLES, OF COURSE. So the passing busy-body sees a man detecting and thinks "aha ! He's gonna leave holes!". So he starts booting other people (like happened to you). And guess what he's going to say ? "No, because of holes" (or shovels or whatever). Does that mean he ever saw any holes ?? NO! It's just his/their mental perception when tasked with thinking of the subject-matter. WHETHER OR NOT they ever saw "holes" or a true-full-blue-shovel . In their mind's eyes , a lesche or screwdriver could be a "shovel".

Because think of it George: When that guy was kicking you out, do you *really* think he was going to say "I'm just feeling in a bad mood today, so I'm going to kick you out" ? No. Of course not. They will ALWAYS allude to "holes" as their "go-to" reason. And you are left muttering under your breath: "Durned those guys that must've left holes". But as you can see, it's often just the go-to reason, JUST because they simply saw a dude md'ing.

I was at a park Monday morning and noticed a guy that was hacking away at the ground. I spotted a detector on the ground and stopped my detecting and went over to check this out. The guy had an older Bounty Hunter and a claw hammer and was hacking away trying to find the metal object he had detected. I said Man don't ruin it for the rest of us, for God's sake go get yourself a trowel like mine and dig a plug. He said he was putting it back. I repeated what I said and told him he just killed a good square foot of grass. He headed off towards the parking area and I detected a while longer and left. I have become friends with a lot of the park staff and always use only a screwdriver and a 6" steel Garrett digger. They have never objected or shown any indifference towards my hunting there.

So George, to me, the lesson in such cases as this (*if* there is not specific true "no md'ing" rule), is:

A) give lip service to the one-lone-griper

B) come back later when said-person is not around.

True! there are some people who can make as much of a mess with a hand digger as some with a shovel. But, the real problem with the shovel is on lookers see it as a BIGGER deal and thus it can draw extra unwanted attention to the hobby when there used in public settings like parks.

Mark