Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

:shrug: Mysterious Minie Ball - What is the story? Who does this? :shrug:

khouse

I don't find much Civil War stuff but this one stumped me. Who would use a Civil War bullet as a fishing weight with current day Monofilament line? Is there a fisherman out there that has so many bullets that he just casts them into the water? It was found near a fishing hole along with some other weights I found.

I'm sure he thought it was a good idea at the time Kenny....:crazy:.........

I guess he did like soldiers did, make do with what he had! Anyway, his loss is your gain and you will treasure your find, and saved a relic.

Ok. Y'all caught me. :clsoedeyes: Guilty.

This is just a thought .............. Do you suppose someone made that bullet and it's not civil war era.....

It looks a little suspicious compared to other bullets that have been posted..

n/t

Looks like something perhaps a kid might do? wanted to go fishing and low on sinkers and funds??

That's what makes it so odd. Too bad it didn't have some kind of cord or Horse hair line on it.......

There are some places, here in the South, where there were mini balls just laying on the ground for a long, long time. I've heard stories that people would pick them up and melt them down for various uses and sometimes use them for fishing weights, like you have here. People use to consider stuff like that just trash until collecting anything CW related became the norm, in the mid 20th century.