Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Signal Vanishing

davidm88

I am wondering who else has experienced this. I am running the Nox 800 on the beach in either beach 1 or 2, sensitivity at 21, FE 0, recovery at 5, tracking ground balance on, 15" coil. I get a repeatable good target both ways so I dig out a scoop. When I run the coil over it again, it gives an iron sound only. I continue digging anyway and it usually is a non-ferrous, good target. Any thoughts as to why it gives an iron response? Sand conductivity?

Maybe because of the tracking being turned on?……I know that if it is being implemented, it has the tendency to make targets disappear if you swing over it repeatedly?……or maybe causing that effect?……I’m not certain if that’s why but, I don’t use tracking on the beach.

I do not use tracking, period. I was nugget hunting with the not when it first came out, found a strong target, did the usual turn 90 deg swing again, then back to 1st position, target was gone. I marked the area, turned off auto tracking and hunted nearby, returned 30 min later to find a 5 gram nugget, tracking removed the target in an area full of basalt

I have the 600 and TID accuracy is not good on this machine, especially on the weaker deep targets. blanking or an iron tone on these targets is common no matter what mode the detector is set to.
Other operators of the EQ range here in Australia have commented on the same problem. I do not know if any of the upgrades improve this or not.

I rarely use the target ID..Most of the time it is to bright to see it outside. My ears go by the tone...I think there are a lot of targets missed out in the field because people rely on the target ID meter too much..

I am wondering who else has experienced this. I am running the Nox 800 on the beach in either beach 1 or 2, sensitivity at 21, FE 0, recovery at 5, tracking ground balance on, 15" coil. I get a repeatable good target both ways so I dig out a scoop. When I run the coil over it again, it gives an iron sound only. I continue digging anyway and it usually is a non-ferrous, good target. Any thoughts as to why it gives an iron response? Sand conductivity?
Or the target just disappears?

I have only used mine at the beach one time so far, but I do not remember anything like that happening in wet or dry sand.
Personally I did not even ground balance it before starting to detect.

I rarely use the target ID..Most of the time it is to bright to see it outside. My ears go by the tone...I think there are a lot of targets missed out in the field because people rely on the target ID meter too much..
I don't find visual target accuracy to be very good with the Nox as well. I listen for that 4th or 5th tone singing or chirping on the Nox and I know I have to stop and investigate even if it's choppy. Target ID has its use of course but it fluctuates more than I care for on the Nox.

Could have been a rusted nail and you hit the end of it. When you turn 90 degrees does the signal change to a grunt, if so it’s iron.
Also try using your pinpointed on the sides of the hole, could be hiding from you after the detector de-tunes the signal out for too many passes.