Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Silver Sunday on the Courthouse lawn

cz70pro

Decided to make a morning trip to my Courthouse permission to try and beat the heat later in the day. Got a 4 hour hunt in before the temperatures hit 90 degrees. Due to the heat and the dry ground, I decided to only hunt the high tones for a change. I will wait until we have had some good rain until I take the time to dig all those low and mid tone holes.

This hunt was done with the stock coil using an open screen, ferrous line at 24 and manual sensitivity at 21. I hit a portion of the grounds that I had not hunted yet and it really was incredible. It seemed I was pulling coins and silver everywhere! My second hole that morning resulted in the 1964 Washington quarter only 3 inches down which rang in at 12-46. I then found two more Mercury dimes (1942 and 1941) 15 minutes later one after another. I then got a strong 12-47 signal but it wasn't tight enough for a coin. It just sounded too nice to pass up so I sunk a plug and after a lot of digging I recovered a very nice and very old and ornate piece of brass furniture trim with a recessed finger cup in the center. It was about 8-9 inches deep. Continuing on, I then got a very iffy signal that mostly read iron but a couple of times it hit in the 12-42 range. After digging down, I was disappointed to pull out a very long section of coiled rusty wire. After filling the hole, I ran the coil over it again and got a sweet high tone at 12-44. Popped the plug again and found a bright and shiny 1941 Merc. A few minutes after that I had another iffy signal that I decided to dig and in with the nails at 7-8 inches was a 1935 Mercury! My fifth silver for the hunt. It was starting to really get hot so I found a few more things such as the 1956 Tennessee dog tag which rang up as 12-47 and the 1930-1940's ladies compact which was at a measured 11 inches when I finally unearthed it. Decided to call it a day after that and ended up with five silver coins, a few nice relics and 59 coins in total.

Silver Washington quarter 1964
Four Mercury dimes 1935, 1941, 1941, 1942
Five Wheaties 1936, 1937, 1945, 1952, 1952D
1956 Tennessee dog rabies tag
1930-1940's Compact
Old brass furniture trim piece

cz70pro, thanks for the great story behind your finds! I really enjoyed the play-by-play action. Super nice finds too!
It's so cool you were able to eek out those coins with the trash in the same hole. Very well done!

Tony (Michigan) said:
cz70pro, thanks for the great story behind your finds! I really enjoyed the play-by-play action. Super nice finds too!
It's so cool you were able to eek out those coins with the trash in the same hole. Very well done!

Thanks for the kind words Tony. It was a fun hunt this morning. Glad you liked my "play by play" LOL.

floodplaindetector said:
Great finds. Looked like a fun day. That brass furniture piece is awesome. Very ornate.
Well done!

Thanks FPD. That ornate trim piece was my favorite find of the day. The quarter was also nice as it's been a while since I've dug one.

Nice bunch of silver & other finds. Makes me think I might loosen up my FE a little!

utmike said:
Nice bunch of silver & other finds. Makes me think I might loosen up my FE a little!

Thanks Mike. It's been working well for me. HH GL

Hey CZ,

I'm glad your day at court went well! lol

Great finds!

D.V.

Dale(Ia) said:
Wow! CZ you dug a lot of holes & a lot of silver! Congrat's on a great day of detecting!:cheers:

Iowa Dale

Thanks Dale. Now that you mention it, that was a lot of holes. :)

That's a fine collection of silver you have there! I wonder if this is the same courthouse of the county I grew up in....it's close to the SW corner of the state! Keep those goodies coming! :clapping:

CZconnoisseur said:
That's a fine collection of silver you have there! I wonder if this is the same courthouse of the county I grew up in....it's close to the SW corner of the state! Keep those goodies coming! :clapping:

Thanks much CZ. No, I live on the opposite side of the state.

Wow! Awesome hunt! I envy you guys that have these places to hunt that produce silver like that. Thank you for the story and the pics.

Dean

dbado1 said:
Wow! Awesome hunt! I envy you guys that have these places to hunt that produce silver like that. Thank you for the story and the pics.

Dean

Thanks Dean. You'd be amazed how many really good sites you can find using the internet and maps. Despite many saying "It's all hunted out", we have found many sites that have never been hunted before.

That's an awesome hunt and a great place to dig! Congrats on all the nice keepers! Are you in Tennessee?

Sooper Dave said:
That's an awesome hunt and a great place to dig! Congrats on all the nice keepers! Are you in Tennessee?

Thanks much Dave and yes, I am in Tennessee.