Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Simplex optional coils

Your shifting the balance. Away from the center of gravity by extending the shafts.
A smaller lighter coil will take the weight off and shift the center of gravity to be more balanced.

A perfectly balanced detector, when your hand is in a natural holding position should feel almost weightless. So no wrist pressure would be needed to keep the coil down level with the ground.

Cannot confirm the sizes yet until they are all done and tested.
Shooting for early next year.

We love the simplex. It’s a vlf detector. You already have have the coil shells and all the manufacturing set up. Why does it take a year to produce an accessory coil? Why not start with one 8-9” what would have been a universal coil over the last 40 years, then if you want to make other sizes, 4”,6”,15”, etc take your time. I’ve been buying detectors and metal detecting since 1973, it’s a reasonable request, thanks

Jerry

I started using metal detectors in March of '65. The 'standard' coils for most models ranged from 6" to 8", and from the latter '70s through most of the '80s the 'standard' size for most makes and models was from 7" to 8" Then in late '87 and early '88 we saw White's introduce the "Blue Max 950" and they said it was because consumers wanted more depth and a little better coverage. At the manufacturer's presentations at the Texas Council of Treasure Clubs that year, Alan Holcombe, their market guy who moved on up to CEO, told the audience he wanted to clear the air. He told everyone that he felt they had made a mistake and the former 'standard' 8" was better balanced and the better general-purpose performer. I and many others agreed and he and I discussed coils and models periodically for over twenty years on some of my visits to the White's factory.

Keep in mind that the bulk of the recreational use of metal detectors was started in and had a surge in the USA where hobbyists Coin & Jewelry Hunters searched parks, schools, yards, many, many other places and beaches. Since '68 I started using a 6" coil instead of an 8", and from about '71 to the present the majority of my detectors have been equipped with coils from 4½" to ± 7", and to this day I use smaller-size (under 7" diameter round) coils mostly, and in more open areas I opt for a mid-size coil. Those include the round 7" Concentric on my Impact, 5X8 DD on a Vanquish 540, and the 5X9½ DD's on a CoRe, Relic and ORX. I very seldom make use of coils larger than those because most places I hunt have too much trash, a lot of dense brush, weeds, rocks or building rubble.

But Minelab started using the 'over-size' 10" and 11" round DD coils a couple of decades ago, and other makers started using over-size coils as well. The 7+"11+ BiAxial for the Teknetics and Fisher models, 10 " and 11" round coils from White's, 9" and 11" coils from XP and the list goes on. Those bigger coils might be OK for working a wide-open beach or large grassy park or covering the plowed fields in the UK and elsewhere, but to me a lot of detectors come with over-size coils as standard and a lot of newcomers to the sport canty hunt well with them, they can't handle the trash, and many simply can't afford any smaller-size accessory coils. To me, a 'standard' coil on the affordably-priced Simples + should have been a 7" Concentric and not an 11" DD.

I love my Simplex + and I want to use it more often in more of the day-to-day hunt sites I visit ... but I need smaller coils. Plural. An 'OOR' shaped or round 5" DD is a 'must-have' for the very densely littered sites. A good 7" round Concentric coil would make an ideal 'general-purpose' coil, or if not it then a 5X½ DD open-frame coil would do, but a 7" Concentric would be preferred. I started using a DD coil back in '71/'72 and Concentric coils have been around nearly as long.

Matter-of-fact, the majority of the detector manufacturers in the '70s, '80s and '90s made Only Concentric coils or mostly Concentric coils, and even into the start of this century. I see no reason why a good 7" Concentric coil can't be made for the 12 kHz Simplex +. And if somebody tries to explain it off as the modern digitally designed circuitry works with a DD but not well with a Concentric, then maybe, just maybe we should have continued using good analog detectors? Maybe the modern digital designs are not all that good if they can't be made to function with a Concentric coil? And if the multi-option frequency and multi-featured Racer 2, Impact, Multi-Kruzer and Anfibio Multi can be designed to work with a 7" Concentric, there's no logical excise a 12 kHz Simplex + can't.

I don't want a 9" sized anything or a 15" coil, either. Just a 5", 7" and elliptical 5X9½ and the Simplex + will be well equipped.

Monte

How is it that Nokta has not made accessory coils for the Simplex+ after all this time?
every other Nokta detector has multiple accessory coils.
Only thing I can think off is a smaller coil diminishes the performance of the Simplex+ dramatically which is unacceptable for Nokta
They will not release any coils till they figure out why/how?

needs to be a 7.5x4...That would be a fun coil.......If they dont get one out soon ...It will be to late...the new Garrett..has a different coil ?...The Simplex is going to be left in the dust...If they don't get on it!!!!!!!!!!

I just have to repeat, their 7.5x4 DD on my Nokta Impact is magic.

My stock coil broke, and I replaced it with a 13" MARS Discovery. It's so much deeper than my Simplex with the 11" round stock coil.

Now I have the MARS 13"DD (for depth and coverage), the 7.5x4DD football (to comb through the trash), and their 7" concentric (general use).

If they produced 1 larger DD coil, the football, and a mid-sized concentric they'd be set.

I love my Simplex + and I want to use it more often in more of the day-to-day hunt sites I visit ... but I need smaller coils. Plural. An 'OOR' shaped or round 5" DD is a 'must-have' for the very densely littered sites. A good 7" round Concentric coil would make an ideal 'general-purpose' coil, or if not it then a 5X½ DD open-frame coil would do, but a 7" Concentric would be preferred. I started using a DD coil back in '71/'72 and Concentric coils have been around nearly as long.

Monte, why would one use a DD coil in 71/72 and what would the difference be in that time frame between it and the concentric?

g

I just have to repeat, their 7.5x4 DD on my Nokta Impact is magic.

My stock coil broke, and I replaced it with a 13" MARS Discovery. It's so much deeper than my Simplex with the 11" round stock coil.

Now I have the MARS 13"DD (for depth and coverage), the 7.5x4DD football (to comb through the trash), and their 7" concentric (general use).

If they produced 1 larger DD coil, the football, and a mid-sized concentric they'd be set.
The Nokta Impact is a much different detector than the Simplex + and , by design, is a more powerful unit. I have enjoyed the Impact with the 7" Concentric as a 'general-purpose' unit and the detector / coil make4 a nice team. The 4X7½ DD, however, that came with the Impact pro pack was 'OK' or some urban Coin Hunting applications where it was modestly trashy, but the Impact & 4X7½ DD failed to keep up with the Racer, racer 2, CoRe and Relic when they used their smaller coils in dense Iron Nails and similar ferrous debris challenges.

Dilek saw the report on a Tough Challenge and their engineers made two 5" DD coils and I was provided one to evaluate against the proven performers. The 5" DD works terrific in those nasty Iron Nail type encounters and easily out-performed the 4X7½ DD. The latter was good for Coin Hunting, the 5" DD was better for Relic Hunting.

For the Simplex + the stock 11" DD is fine for a beach or wide-open park. I only want or need 2 search coils for my two Simplex + devices. A mid-size 5X9½ DD open-frame coil and a 5" DD coil for tackling the very dense debris sites.

Monte

Monte, why would one use a DD coil in 71/72 and what would the difference be in that time frame between it and the concentric?

g
In 1971 / '72 we still had a lot of BFO's on the market and TR's coming n strong. Most TR's used different Tx / RX configurations, some with incorrect names but it was catchy marketing, such as a White's 'Triplet' coil. Most were some form of a CoPlaner that morphed into the Concentric coils we are familiar with today. There was one difference, however. Ron Mack, a marketing guy, and two engineers who left White's, Henry Gorgas and Don Dykstra formed a new detector company called Compass Electronics. Initially thy made some BFO's in their Klondike series, but the real popular models were their TR's in the Yukon series. One thing that made the Compass TR's unique was that Don used the Double-D coil configuration, which was about a first in the recreational metal detector industry.

I still have an early Compass TR w/DD coil as well as my Garrett master Hunter TR-Disc. from about '75 or '76 that also has the two DD coils it came standard with at the time. They were different and worked OK, but didn't work as well with Discriminating TR's as they did with conventional TR's. So, I was using DD's from '71/'72 as well as CoPlaner and Concentric coils, and the big difference was the particular detector and circuitry design they were mounted to.

Monte

I LOVE the 7.5" x 4" coil on the Impact.

Go back and look at Keith Southern's test results with it.

If they made one for my Simplex I'd have to get it. Along with a small concentric coil.

I would love too see a 4X7 dd or in that area .

My Simplex is just a back-up machine until a 9" coil comes along.
I use the 9" coil with my XP Deus and it suits me just fine.
Its such a shame that we were told a 9" coil was coming along and nothing has happened.? ;)
Come on. as loyal customers we deserve better.
Jerry.

My Simplex is just a back-up machine until a 9" coil comes along.
I use the 9" coil with my XP Deus and it suits me just fine.
Its such a shame that we were told a 9" coil was coming along and nothing has happened.? ;)
Come on. as loyal customers we deserve better.
Jerry.

Just had a personal reply that production is underway in a couple of weeks time.
Thats great news.

ATB,

Jerry.