Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sizing or normal

Davy crockett

Hello guys. I'm in the learning stage of my 3030, I'm doing pretty good but it is tough.

There is one thing really bugging me and I know it's probably very simple and you guys will know the answer

I'm getting pretty good now at pinpointing in the sizing mode but for the life of me I can't figure out why the normal mode would be any good. I mean the signal goes away and then u got to redo the trigger.

WHAT IS THE ADVANTAGE OR USE OF NORMAL PINPOINTING

THANKS ALL

Davy,

You're doing fine. :thumbup:

The 'advantage' of normal mode, is in pinpointing the lazy way.
You just move the coil over the target, and the detector gradually de-tunes until you can only pick up the target in one spot.
It's beginner friendly.
It works great, and the 'auto de-tune' pinpoint mode/method is default on some other brands, as well.

The problem is, that you give up a very important piece of information about your target...size.
If you're passing your coil over a smashed Pepsi can, and the detector is constantly de-tuning the threshold, you won't get a precise indication of exactly how big it is.
And you'll probably waste time digging obvious trash targets.

Your three most important pieces of information needed to quantify the target...long before you look at the screen...is 'sound', 'size', and 'shape'.
And normal pinpoint mode throws (at least) one of those away for you. :thumbdown:

Good Luck, and HH
:)
mike

Hate to throw another option at ya but have you tried or considered using pin point lock with target trace on? This mode locks the detector in all metal when you tap the trigger and the target trace will give you a good idea of target size and show multiple targets under the coil. Having the target trace on in this mode will also give you a good idea of target size and if there are multiple targets close together it can help figure out which one your trying to pinpoint. Smaller targets that the detector thinks are good ones will give a nice tight dot inside the cursor and larger targets like cans etc. will leave large blobs and smears on the screen.

Thank you guys for responding. Pinpointing in the normal mode just doesn't seem good to me. I guess sizing does matter :heh:

To the above post, when you press and hold the trigger does it not do the same thing?

My front yard now looks like a ww1 battle field lol

Davy crockett said:
Thank you guys for responding. Pinpointing in the normal mode just doesn't seem good to me. I guess sizing does matter :heh:

To the above post, when you press and hold the trigger does it not do the same thing?

My front yard now looks like a ww1 battle field lol

Pinpoint lock does the same thing, but it allows you to click it once to turn pinpoint on and then click it again to turn pinpoint off.

Yes but it is a different approach to pinpointing and offers advantages in trash over the "traditional" pinpointing methods. I picked this up from a Sube video earlier this year in which he explained how to build the target or targets under the coil. I gave it a shot and now I'm hooked on it whether I'm trying to sniff out good targets from Iron or in a park trying to sort them out from can slaw and such.

I've been disappointed with the CTX pinpointing sizing or normal. Regardless I have to locate the coil away from the target before I initiate and even then often it doesn't work well. I mean if the detector would go into pulse induction mode for pinpoint it would be so much better.

You can put both pinpoint modes on the user button and switch back and forth between them. I do that at times when I don't need to have a second program queued up. Otherwise I normally use sizing and then just manually de-tune it when I want to zero in on targets.