Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Small bean field yields colonial coin

I managed to get out for a few hours yesterday, and approached some private property owners seeking permission to hunt.
The last place I hit was an 1850's farm up for sale, and I figured since the owners would be vacating sometime, they wouldn't mind me checking around.
Well,I was only partially right !
After I showed the guy my equipment ( E-Trac), and how I take care of the dirt and plug , and even offered to show him my finds, AND let him keep them; he still wasn't "keen" in his words, to let me hunt the yard.
He did however let me hunt a freshly picked bean field next to the house.
After about 3 hours of digging aluminum cans and farm junk, Lady Luck was kind and graced me with a decent 1734 George II half penny.
I showed the owner everything, and he was happy to let me keep what I found and even gave me a tip on another long gone property.
Funny thing was, when I asked him if I could come back to search more fields, he said he'd have to think about it :huh:
I guess maybe he'll be buying a detector of his own LOL

Thanks G4E.
It kind of amazes me that the ONLY coin that turned up was this !
And I ain't complainin'

nice find... people can be real strange.... at least he let you keep it..... there others there somewhere ...you just didn't get over the sweet spot ...happy huntin

Yes, people can be strange.
I try to do my "sales pitch" in different levels based on the owner's demeanor.
Offering to give the landowner what I find is a last ditch effort to get permission.
At that point, if they still say no; I have to question their intelligence.

Lots of 1700 coins have been showing up on this forum lately. Good to see them being rescued.Good find.

Hatpin,
You are so right !
There was a relic hunter by the name of Howard Couch or Crouch I believe, that wrote a book about relic hunting in Virginia back in the 60's and early 70's; and in that book has a photo of a corroded pewter Confederate Block "I" button with the caption- "The reason they need to be gotten out of the ground" or something to that effect.
This stuff has lasted a looong time in spite of being plowed around and having pesticides and fertilizer dumped on it.
BUT it can't survive a bulldozing ,then being paved over or worse yet, ending up in a landfill.
But try to explain that to a suspicious landowner, or a construction site management company.

thats a nice one

I wold love to find something like that. You are very lucky.. Good find and I like it... KEN

1700's K.G. - a great find - congrats !

Thanks for all the kind kudos.
I don't get out much, and believe me my arm was sore after 4 hours of swinging that E-trac with a large coil and digging so much junk.
The KG was nice compensation.

Slick! You handled that expertly - dealing with the property owner. Great looking KG. Doesn't look heavily fertilized.

Thanks Ytcoinshooter....
I found quite a few coppers over the years that are totally unidentifiable because of fertilizers and plowing. I feel really fortunate to find one in such decent shape.
Regarding property owners, I try to treat them with the utmost respect; being as transparent about what I'm asking them to allow me to do as I can be.