Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

So you want to really waterproof your machine without using Tupperware?

BADBAJA

There is a company named Liquipel than can dip new smart phones and tablets in a chemical that will water proof just about any smaller electronics. I contacted them and here is what they said.

Anthony,
We would be able to treat the board, (brains) if it is removable. The device as a whole is a bit to large for our current scale. If you would like to do so, simply complete the checkout process as though it were a phone & send the board in. Of course, you would want to make sure to protect & pad it in the package you send.

There was another product around about 20 years ago that made similar promises. Trouble was after 6 months or so it permanently detuned tunable capacitors. I'd watch them for at least a year and see if they're still around.

C-mon they are puttting this stuff in iPhones. The parts inside the phones are 10x smaller and probably more fragile then these detectors. I don't think they even use tunable caps anymore in new electronics any more.

You might want to direct your questions towards them. I just though for anyone with a warranty about to expire or wanted something better than a silly Tupperware case.

My point was meant that sometimes new wonder products have issues that take time to show up. Just because someone treats their phone now doesn't mean they won't regret it in a year. Call me an old fart but i've watched many a miracle product fail over the years. So before I risk my expensive stuff I want to see a successful track record. Just hard experience talking!

I'm always amazed at the amount of people still buying "snake oil". BEWARE!

Spend your money where you want but I still would not chance getting the detector wet. There is a lot more to a detector than the board............. connectors, potentiometers, display, switches, cables, speaker and more.

Did you guys even go check the site or did just jump on the "snake oil " bandwagon?

They are winning awards for this product. Like ces show in Vegas. I am sure People thought metal detectors were a "snake oil" at one time while the other guy was stacking silver. And I bet that "intern net" thing will never catch on either.......right.

Never mind next time I find a product that might be useful I will just let it pass. I was just trying to make mine a little more water resistant. Good luck.

I went to the website. I'm not saying snakeoil...........but long term is unproven yet especially in regards to how electrical components will fare from the coating material. In regards to a detector, all the comonents would need this treatment to be effective. Which the company is unable to do at this time. It would be similar to having a major leak in a tire fixed, but leaving a couple of small leaks unrepaired.

Don't get so touchy! It's just many of us have seen too many long term failures of similar highly aclaimed products. The stuff I mentioned earlier took the marine industry by storm. Even manufacturers jumped on the band wagon. It was raved about for about a year then the troubles started. Two years later, gone.

It might be great but it might not, long term. Some of us are very cautious. Besides you can get water and salt intrusion along wire strands under insulation, some insulation is not water proof. Rotary pots won't be helped by this nor many switches. In the end it might help the board but not save you from a short somewhere else which kills the board anyway.

You asked what we thought and now that we told you, you get your panties all in a twist. I'm sure it is a fine product and I don't think it is snake oil, I just don't think it would work on metal detectors like it does on cell phones. You would have to treat the entire detector to make it waterproof and even if they could do it, I think it would not work properly because of the different components involved but I am anxiously waiting to see your video on the water test this fall.

To be honest you just sound like sheeple. One person does not think it works or is skepticle and you all follow each other like lost sheep. Then you just regurgitate what other people said. Reread your posts. Open your mind. You can think on your own yOu know.

Trust me I am in no way upset just stating what I see. Everyone wants new stuff but no one wants to try it. NOt me as soon as my warranty runs dry I am sending my xterra brain in. I am just trying to make mine more water resistant to this northwest weather. I never once said I would dunk my machine even though they say it's water proof.

So I will let you go back to answering your same questions about which detector is best for silver, or which detector goes deepest since that keeps the sheep safe.

Another way to look at it is if the majority of answers point in the same direction, it could be the voice of experience talking and not just baaaaaaaad advise.

Baaaaaaaahh

You say for better usage in the Northwest.. Is this to help you hunt in the rain with out worry of having detector damage due to water leakage ??
......................................Have you ever considered buying a Underwater detector, or a wader ??

If the treatment you speak of doesn't entail the total electronics, Knobs, etc.what do you have to gain by risking damage to your present unit ?????????? It still will not be water proof.

Seems like some people with experience, and or knowledge with a product in the past know from first hand info it didn't work.... Even caused damage to their equipment.

I know when we get an"Idea" in our head, and for one reason or another we embrace it whole hearted then try and share this "Marvelous" Idea with everyone we expect most to embrace what we thought with open arms and mind.............

I think we should also be willing to accept they may "NOT".Due to experience, or not wanting to put a valued piece of equipment in possible jeopardy of being damaged using an unknown product.

If you feel comfortable with the process you like DO IT !............ Don't get in a huff and accuse people of being sheep..... and saying one person leads them.. hey your one person trying to do the same thing........ lead them to getting their units water proofed......... Think about it fine Sir..............Have a nice day.If you do it Good Luck...... Hope it works..

It sounds similar to the coating that is on the board that is housed in a varible speed blower motor on the new A/C systems, because of the high moisture enviroment, the only problem is if the board malfunctions the makers just replace the board because its coated with silicone and can't desoldier out bad parts on the board. Certain appilications it works fine if the company is ok with changing boards out and not repairing them.

I was nOt trying to lead anyone, just posting a product that that might be benificial.

If you would have read my post( which I have a feeling you just read but must not have understood the meaning of I am not dunking my machine) that means I am NOT trying to submerge it. Do you understand that? But let's say I am prospecting. I accidentally fall in the creek. Most guys would have to immediately pull batteries and wait for it to dry and the day is done. No more detecting that day or possibly ever with that maching right? Are you starting to formulate a even a minute thought now? That maybe a $65 coating that might save your
$1000 plus machine?

No need to buy a under water machine if I might only use it a few times if ever. Plus I have the options I want for the price I paid. I don't plan or never did plan on underwater detecting but it could happen and I would buy the appropriate machine.

Where are any of these products you speak of? You guys are comparing old technology with new stuff talking about products from the 70s. Lol what a joke c'mon grandpas times have changed. They also used to think in the 70s that cigarettes were OK for you and that seatbelts don't save lives right? Are you still on the if it ain't broke don't fix it. Then this product is probably not for you or a lot of other products like video chat, remember in the 70s if you were to say video chat will be in the future they would have laughed at you. You might get older but technology will keep prevailing, it's what it does.

About only being able to waterproof the board. You can replace plugs, buttons, LCD screens, wires, displays and meters. The brain on the other hand would be the the most expensive part to replace If even replaceable. By brain I mean the main circuit board or boards. So why would it be a big deal to resolder a plug if needed.

Again just putting this out there. I could care less if any of you use it and I am sure your detecting manufacturers are just hoping your high dollar machines hit the water cause then you would be buying another.

It's dry here so time to swing Have a good day