Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Some Etrac Questions

Caprock

I have one about 10 years old but low hrs due to health. Really want to get back into digging dirt if my knees hold out. Besides the standard coil I have a SEF 5x7 and it does well except it throws the depth meter way off. I just bought a SunRay x-5 and hoping it does well. My main question is there an easy way to change coils? This stuffing the cord through the shaft just doesn't seem correct......must be an easier way. Maybe hook and pull it through?

For sure, I've got to go back and re-read Andys manual.

Also, I haven't read up on all the posts over the years cause my thoughts were on more serious subjects. However I did run across a reference to a 110 program. Exactly what is this?

I have one about 10 years old but low hrs due to health. Really want to get back into digging dirt if my knees hold out. Besides the standard coil I have a SEF 5x7 and it does well except it throws the depth meter way off. I just bought a SunRay x-5 and hoping it does well. My main question is there an easy way to change coils? This stuffing the cord through the shaft just doesn't seem correct......must be an easier way. Maybe hook and pull it through?

For sure, I've got to go back and re-read Andys manual.

Also, I haven't read up on all the posts over the years cause my thoughts were on more serious subjects. However I did run across a reference to a 110 program. Exactly what is this?
Not really any easy way but instead of changing coils buy a extra rod and coil bolt and have it ready or what I like to do is use a show string and attach it and pull it through.

Attaching your extra coil to a lower rod ahead of time makes change outs quick.
Agree with Neil ....
Some coils for take along...

twice the fun.gif

I tie a pen to a string and drop it down the shaft and then pull the new coil wire up that shaft. A 2nd shaft would be the way to go though. The E-trac was way ahead of its time but this is one draw back for sure. I'm liking my 7" Lion coil so much though that I don't see taking it off unless I plan to cover lots of ground quick.

Some manufacturer's coils have a wider spiral than others , I think the NEL cols were one of the worst. The SEF were reasonably tight and a breeze to get through the shaft if you started the cable as far as the coils and then swing the rod like you were going to hit something with it. The centrifugal force will slide the cable right out the other end.

Not sure about the etrac, but on CTX I just make the shaft max short, feed in the cable and the cable plug comes out the battery end of the shaft with about 1/4" showing, just enough to grab with my fingers and attach to the battery box. So far has not been a problem.

The coils on your coil cable is too large.
I used a cooking skewers stick, or other small 1/8" diameter dowel rod about a foot or more long. Run the stick through all the coils on cable, I used a wire tie to latch the coil end of the cable to the stick tight. Then take the connector end of the cable and wind it tight tight to the stick and the coils in the cable tight to each other and with another wire tie latch the connector end of the coil wire tight to the stick.
Then take a heat gun (I was told I can use a hair dryer but it will take a little longer to heat up) and heat all those coils up pretty hot but make sure you don't melt the wire covering. You want the wire hot inside and out to reset the these coils. Once you think all is hot just let it set and cool down. Once cool cut your wire ties off and you should have a lot smaller coils set on your cable and you should be able to change coils without any problems.
I had do my x5 coil cable two times I didn't get my coils hot enough to set them to a smaller diameter so a do over was needed. I done mine well over a year ago and it is still holding. No more pull strings for me.
I got this trick from forum member Elmy and it works.
Ron in WV

Old post I know. I did use a cotton string to run down through the tube when changing coils. Then I bought an extra lower rod makes changing so much easier. The x5 coil is excellent in trashy area’s and the separation is fantastic. I’ve found nails on top of coins and beside coins. That little hockey puck never comes of my Etrac. The 6 inch Minelab coil stays on my ctx also.

I had that problem on my new CTX starting out. But now, I think the coil metal memory has decided that it is longer now and that is no problem. After 10 months, I can grab the connector with my fingers. Just in case I carry in my back pack a small metal forceps that can reach up and grip the edge of the connector when changing coils. But as I said, now don't have to use anything.

I must have forgot the pictures with my fix post above. I actually used a heat gun for the first round then after it cooled down used the hair dryer to reheat it a few more times which may have not been needed.
Better late than never.
Ron in WV

IMG_5637.jpgIMG_5638.jpgIMG_5679.jpgIMG_5680.jpg

Last edited: