Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sometimes detecting by myself is peace of mind - some just don't get it :veryangry:

tab-nabit

We haven't had many weather breaks lately and today I decided to get some detecting time in on my way home from work. Decided to hit a new spot I been eyeballing. So I get started on the edge of a field that appears there was a ball field there in the past. The back side of the field is developed with homes with a fence line along the back of the field.
I got going and in about 5 minutes I was down on the ground getting ready to dig my first sweet sounding target. Just after I flipped open a cut plug, I reached for the pinpointer and this old man was nearly 30-35 feet coming at me at a jogging pace with a full size garden shovel in hand. I jumped up all ninja ready as he caught me off guard and he said in a out of breath manner "What is it! What is it!".... Then he commenced to uproot my plug with the shovel.
In a calm and not so nice manner I said "What in #&!! do you think your doing!!!".
Next thing I know he's digging up the ground and talking to himself like I'm not there:blink:
I told him to quite and get the $&!! out of here. The poor feller still couldn't hear me.

I looked around and packed it out of there - he's is not with me I was thinking. I didn't want anyone see me there with a detector in my possession and have some maniac doing the digging. This dude was off his rocker but sure can put a shovel to work. I don't know if he was on meds or in need of lots of meds. I just had to get out of there and get away from this bonehead. As I was starting the SUV to take off, I can see a backyard gate open from one of the homes. It's apparent the gate isn't secured to keep escapee's on the better side of the world. I guess he isn't homeless (looked like it though) - just an escapee.

So I finally get a break to detect and wanted to try this new spot. I don't know what planet this dude came from but I'm glad this time I didn't take my dogs with me, but not so happy to have my hunt ruined. Supposed to be raining again starting tomorrow and every day for a week in the forecast. I guess I'm glad I didn't have to try and stick this fella with my digger out of reaction - but his approach and communication skills are well below par.

All I can say is this is my first time actually swinging a detector and I got skunked - not a tab, not a nail... zip-nada.

I rarely let my guard down but this was a situational awareness wake up call as I thought I was all alone, and I was for a few minutes.

Keep aware at all times folks - it's just a hobby I keep saying - but one I like to enjoy. Just venting a little....
I like to dig but not like a mad man, and not places that don't offer a little peace of mind. Gee-Whiz.
:starwars:

lol..sounds like your gonna need a guard with you now...
good luck
john:detecting:

that when I was about to pinpoint is when I jumped up. I grabbed my detector, so now I'm standing there with a pinpointer in one hand and a detector in the other - up against a maniac with a shovel. I can't believe I got up leaving my digger on the ground. Disturbing to say the least.

I also keep thinking that I should have stopped at the house which was maybe 15 minutes away, and let the dogs tag along. They usually go with me, but I had planned this stop on the way home from work, weather permitting.

I'm glad I guess that he seem happy and greedy to dig but he must have a bad wire in his head or something. As I was driving away, I could see him still digging. Maybe he is perfectly friendly but I don't want any part of this one. I might think differently if I knew him when I was digging nuggets by the way he digs, but I don't know him.

I just wanted away. I doubt it by the way he was digging an enlarging gaping hole, but I hope he finds the target I left and don't think of me as a friend because of it.

The more I think about it, I'm sure he is harmless, but the whole thing was an uneasy feeling. The fella was practically drooling like he was on top of a treasure chest and he was going to be first to get his greedy paws on.
From the materials he was moving with that shovel, I hope is a little more calm when he eats. Maybe the shovel was his chow tools.

I'll chalk it all up as he is harmless, careless and rude around others, but can sure cause a situation that might not always end well. I'm just glad nothing worse got out of hand.

My wife tells me after he digs the riches - he'll be looking for me to give me hugs & kisses - huh! :sick:

A hunting buddy is nice to have...mainly for added protection and second set of ears especially if we hunt isolated areas. Have to admit this would have rattled me buddy or not...but lets hope an isolated incident...

Oh, you run into all kinds out there. I once ran into a landowner that wouldn't let me search her property because she believes that the ground is alive and by digging into we're hurting it. The guy was either looney tunes or it was a calculated move to make you feel uncomfortable so you'd leave.

I suspect your "friend" was just a mentally handicapped or mentally ill person from either a local privately owned home or from a local home for the mentally handicap. Most states only institutionalize the very worse cases, the rest are kept in homes throughout each community where everyone is going to cross paths with them sooner or later. My hometown has several homes of the latter type and 99.9% of the time residents of those homes are as kind and gentle as anyone you would ever want to meet, but then there is the other .001 % of the time when they can turn on you in a heartbeat, if you were to try and stop them from doing something they are bound and determined to do. You did the right thing by not trying to stop him and by leaving the area when he showed up.

Wow... I always hunt alone, and unfortunately, most of the really good parks to hunt are in the bad sections of town. ( I guess they are good because nobody else is stupid enough to hunt there.) I'll be watching my back a little more closely in the future. I do carry a pistol in my tool pouch, but I doubt it would do much good if I didn't see them coming! Thanks for sharing.

ya should start using rattler headphones just for this reason-made by detector pro -only got 1 ear cup so ya can keep other open for just such interruptions.I been using them for hunting in the wood here in Tx as in summer mos. the snakes are bad.got mine for $70.00 from detector pro-or call MRBILL.ya done good seeing that guy when ya did as he could have just as easily clocked with that shovel -I carry pepper spray for folks like that.it will stop 'em long enough for get away since if ya hit 'em chances are you'll be the one getting the assault charge.used to not think like this but with age does come wisdom-sometimes

I had actually thought about getting those but was thinking about the rattlesnakes and other critters I run into when relic hunting in the warm season.

In this case - one of the things I didn't do, and I usually do, is once I'm ready to cut a plug, I usually slip my headphones down around the neck. Gives the ears a break, but in this case, I had just got there, it was cool, one moment I saw nobody around but the next thing I know the fella was nearly on me.
I learned a lesson although I honestly feel he was harmless - Just a drooling greedy treasure helper, but one that has no respect people wise and digging wise. I was so close, that when he had made a jump onto the shovel to get the next bite, I kicked my digger away so I could retrieve it.

Yeah - wasn't funny then and I was hoping someone didn't think I cut him loose to help me - but now it is funny picturing it all over. Maybe he was let loose to chase me out.

Yeah sometimes I go to some fairly shady areas, but I don't do it alone.
Few years back I was off into some brush and 3 fella approached toward my way but turned when they say I was with a couple of guys.Might not have been anything but they did suddenly direction when they saw I wasn't alone.
I take my dogs with me most times when I can. They just didn't to work with me the other day and I didn't stop at home first. My bad.

I feel sure he was harmless - just his quick approach with a shovel in his hands is probably something that he doesn't realize could have went bad.
Well he was so happy to be digging so I hope it was worth while to him. Something tells me he won't fill in the gaping hole he was still working on when I left. He was flinging the dirt away probably not knowing it's not right.

I've commented about this before. When you detect alone, you invite this type of behavior. Buy headphones that sit on you ears, not cup them. I'd much rather miss a few coins, than risk that fellows shovel on the back of my head, particularly, if you hunt in risky areas. Some times when I go to parks, I take along a lunch and sit in the car and munch away while watching what's going on around me. Never had anyone pay any attention to me wolfing down a ham & cheese on whole wheat and sloshing down a carton of milk. If everything looks cool I go detecting. When you wear those big headphones that cup your ears you might as well be wearing shooting silencers. You won't hear the bear, or the the rattler, and you won't hear Billy Bob with the shovel or the base ball bat. When you detect alone, you virtually have your life in your hands, it's up to you to watch your back. If you detect out of incorporated areas, by all means drop a .45 down your waste band. In town it's a problem. Hopefully, if you see the law, walk up, introduce your self, tell 'em what your doing, tell 'em you appreciate having them around. K.i.s.s.a.s.s.e.s, generally live longer than dudes with chips on their shoulders. Lastly, don't be so h.e.l.l.bent on what you're doing, and loose track of your surroundings. A little care will get back home to that cute little blond instead of having her identify your remains in a wooden box. Good luck :biteme: