Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

spectra v3i vs minelab

spanishsilver

Hi all I am looking into moving back into a Whites machine. After experiencing the horrible customer service with Minelab I am done. Basically the tech at minelab said my explorer is a paper weight and he cant get the parts to fix it (keypad no longer available). This sucks so I will be moving on to Whites after being assured that 10 yrs down the road my machine will still be serviceable. I need opinions about the v3i and its depth capabilities. Any info on the machine would be great and I do not want to bash companies just some good info about the v3i. Thanks

Welcome, you will get reliable information from Rob and a few others here. I'm new to the V3i but have spent some time learning how to set it up and I can say that determining the filter / disc sense / all metal sense / rx gain in that order are the keys to the depth you seek. Determing he correct filter out of 8 choices for the site / ground you are working takes priority. Download the manual from whites. The V is only as good as the users understanding thus the number on the secondary market. I've been spending the week when time and weather allow depth testing against a Sovereign GT. Both detectors impress me. This is a small plot with iron near the test targets. You may want to check out whites own forum for additional info.
I tend to lurk and read more than post as I'm really just a "student" here, learning the V3i. Whites customer service is #1 !!!.
Good luck.
HH

Just read the v3i verse Etrac post on this page. Read Neil's review. The link works. The one thing is on the deepest silver the V3i is just as deep but not as easy for the unexperienced to ID. As you said, the Minelab service scares me. I know to repair the screen on my SE it would be $135 and on the Whites it is $5 and doesn't need to be sent in. Approximately $120 would get you a new detector at Whites. :devil: ROB

Whites customer service is superb...love my v3i....if you take the plunge...you won't be disappointed. gl and hh

I must compliment those who are being fair and objectionable on a touchy subject of brand X vs. brand Y that was once banned on the forums. Forums management is now allowing comparisons as long as it stays civil, as the last two posts have been on here. Rob, Neil, myself and many others are multi-line users including Minelabs and we will try to give you our honest experienced opinions on what we know but questions like which is best can not be answered, that has more to do with the user and not the machine used.

Brand loyal posts and bashing any manufactures detectors will not only be deleted, but the poster may very well deleted as well.

Hello! For The V3 is that I can find a picture of the ID dispute for the V3, in order to compare my disputes signals.
Thank you, Chenier.

Sorry I don't understand.

Quote: I do not want to bash companies just some good info about the v3i

The V3i uses 3 frequencies at the same time. No other machine will do that. Because of that, I think it's the best machine on the market.

Ummm, just a picky point, but as I understand it, some PI machines use up to 24 discrete frequencies in a pulse stream...

How many frequencies that are transmitted is misleading, it is how many of those that are being processed for target information that counts. ALL metal detectors transmits many frequencies (primary plus harmonics).

I'm sure he meant VFL detector. Neither of the discussed detectors are PI.

[size=large]I have used both Whites and Minelab detectors. They both are great detectors but to me I like the display that shows the icons. I guess that is why I came back to Whites plus all the great things I read on the V3i.
Happy Hunting to all detectorist and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all

When I was considering the purchase of a new detector I had a go with a detecting friends Minelab but wasn't comfortable with the weight and balance.The Minelab is an excellent bit of kit but I finally went with the V3i for its balance, screen info. and the fact that the European repair centre is in Scotland where I live.

Whites service is great, I also have plenty of ML detectors and dread having to send one in for repair if needed. There is more piece of mind purchasing a Whites, knowing that you will have your machine serviced in a timley manner, and parts can be found to fix an older model.

I've been running an E-Trac for a couple of weeks now and having fun with it - I like learning new machines. I still have my V3i though. I'm wondering why my V3i wasn't getting the depth I'm getting with the E-Trac though (8"-9"). I know the V3i is deep, I have tested it as such but I worked this area with the V3i 2X first and didn't pull anything deeper than 4" or 5". I haven't crossed checked signals yet as it's been muddy out there, cold and I'm on a bike! But I did work the same areas.

Here is what I'm thinking, the ground probe says the ground is mild (only 1%) but the iron mineralization level is at -93 to -94. I'm thinking that is where I might be having the problem. I was running the 5 filters as they clearly had the best target response. But, is it possible that at depth a higher filter might cut through the iron mineralization better? I want to take the V3i out there again as I have pulled around 15 coins at 6" to 8", so they are there. I have spoken to another guy on a forum and his ground is like mine but his % is much higher and he is stuck at that 4" to 5" range as well. So I'm thinking it's filters, but it might even be sensitivity, though the V3i was running very quiet and I had much less falsing with it there than with the E-Trac, though both I could tell were falses for the most part.

I'll say this, I very much miss the bright screen and nice backlight. Not good on the E-Trac. The buttons are not nice either, but functional. No menu shortcuts either. I guess like Neil said, we are all looking for that machine and there are pluses and minuses with each.

Thanks,
Albert

Albert,
I would use the detector that works best for you. If the ETrac is deeper for you no problem. but the problem is your tests don't prove anything. I've hunted the same area many time only to come back later and find silver. If I used two different detectors I could assume the second detector did a better job.

You like to quote Tom, so here are his directions for head to head comparisons of detectors. Read the article and then post results using his directions. If it is important enough to post it is important to do it correctly.

http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/fisher-intelligence.htm
[attachment 218892 Untitled-1.jpg]

I just wanted some help in trying to understand what I might have done wrong. Who wants to hear "Use what works best for you" when you are trying to understand the machine I spent around 2000 Euro on and still have (and from a mod on the forum about it)? I mean where did I go wrong? I made videos, I put together a collection of posts and gave credit for it, I answered so many emails and PM's from people. I received nothing but kind words from people (except you oddly enough.)

I didn't want or ask for how to do a head to head. I know how to compare signals well enough. I was being nice about both detectors, I wasn't talking bad. I don't know why you brought up Tom. I quote him sometimes just like I have quoted or mentioned you or other mods and people knowledgeable about detecting.

You know, it's a bit hard to post on this forum sometimes. I don't know if I'm perceiving things wrong or not, but it doesn't appear like you are friendly to me - Here or in PM's. I actually tried the E-Trac because of that, not because I wasn't get depth with the V3i. Sort of ironic. I guess I owe you a thank you in a way,

Thank you,
Albert

First what I meant use the detector that works for you. I have nothing against the ETrac. You posted,
Finally got and E-Trac and I'm shocked at the depth. This is fine but it implies it is deeper than your V3i.

The reason I mentioned Tom was he wrote the article showing what must be done before depth claims can be made between detectors. I see nothing wrong with my post.

Since I got my raise that won't happen.

I'll be off line for a few days if you don't see replies from me.