Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

spot on screen

Just wanting to know if anyone else has experienced a problem with the ctx screen fading in spots?i contacted minelab and its 75 dollars an hour and 4-8 weeks!Just kinda frustrated i have 4 minelab detectors and have never had an issue with them other than this screen issue.Seems like something that should be covered no matter what.Love the detector but have to say may look at other brand.Just wanting some input before i make hasty decision.

I had one that developed a grety streak from top to bottom on the far left side of the screen. I called Minelab, without hesitation I was told $185 plus shipping both ways. Within a couple of months I saw 3-4 others on the forums with the same grey streak, I sold the CTX soon afterward.

What is you tool of choice now Dan if I may ask?

Based on his most recent posts, it looks like Dan just bought another CTX-3030?

If so, then welcome back, Dan!

greedykind said:
Just wanting to know if anyone else has experienced a problem with the ctx screen fading in spots?i contacted minelab and its 75 dollars an hour and 4-8 weeks!Just kinda frustrated i have 4 minelab detectors and have never had an issue with them other than this screen issue.Seems like something that should be covered no matter what.Love the detector but have to say may look at other brand.Just wanting some input before i make hasty decision.

I'm trying to read between the lines to get to the most important fact...is it still under warranty?
If it is, they'll fix it for free.
If not, they'll charge you...just like every other brand/manufacturer.

I certainly understand the frustration about the 4-8 week delay, though!
If true/current, that's simply unacceptable, and Minelab need to jump on that with both feet...and get that delay down.
When I had my screen fixed (before they closed Chicago's repair center), it took right at 1 week...and I considered that just right.

You can certainly try other brands and models of detectors. Not a thing wrong with that! Many here consider that a hobby in itself. :)
(Some of the guys on these forums can't seem to hold onto a new detector for more that a couple of months before trying something new.)

Just keep in mind that no detector is perfect, and that not every piece of electronic gear lasts forever...regardless of how much we pay for it.
I've got an $8,000.00 stack of dead laptop computers I'd love to get fixed for free....but it aint gonna happen.

Regardless of which direction you go, good luck and HH!
:)
mike

I was using an Etrac, last 2 years, I picked up an unused CTX at a great price(under warranty) I decided to give it another go round. I really like the flexibilty of the tone control and the target trace. I sold off everything and bought the CTX and a couple of coils.

trojdor said:
Based on his most recent posts, it looks like Dan just bought another CTX-3030?

If so, then welcome back, Dan!

greedykind said:

Is the detector warranty or non warranty? If warranty it has a different turn around time as warranty is on a time clock. If just the LCD screen and pcb that goes with screen is still good the repair cost would be about $175 to $200.00 with labor. (My hunting partner runs the repair center.)

Thanks for all inquiries.it is not under warranty I have 3 other mine lab detectors and love them all no issues what so ever.just seemed strange with the screen issue not covered in full.thanks for the replies

Mascard...... they are getting to much sun buddy........go dunk them in the salt water. Now my question TH..... if allowed to continue will those screen go completely once they start with these streaks or spots? Im thinking ahead buddy since you know im hard on detectors. Whats the turn around time now for those OUT of warranty?

Dew

Can an individual just order the screen and install it themselves?
Can't be rocket science to disassemble and put it back together.

sprchng said:
Can an individual just order the screen and install it themselves?
Can't be rocket science to disassemble and put it back together.

No, individuals are not allowed to purchase components. The only option is to send it in and wait for the service center to repair it.

I suppose I don't understand the complaint or question about why the screen is not warranted beyond 3 years. Almost every electronic device we buy today is warranted for 90 days to a year! And that is for 'stuff' kept inside, in a relatively controlled environment. The CTX is designed to handle a bit of outdoor activity, banging it around, underwater, etc., so, 3 years is a really great warranty!

In 2012 the CTX hit the market, the sales were whatever?, and the repair center had quick turnarounds because most were returned under warranty and probably not a lot, numbers wise, were being returned. Now after 5 years of sales there is a crap load of them out there and non-warranty repairs are starting to build. If there were 10% returned in 2012 (say the sales were 3,000?, then only about 300 were returned), and 10% are being returned now (after maybe 50-70,000 have been sold (10% of those returned is 5-7,000 a year, requiring a much larger repair force manpower wise) , the sales volume would seem to indicate the repair numbers would be really high. Minelab seems to have an exclusive agreement with the present repair center, so IMHO, they are not going to leap out and get another place for non-warranty repair. Biggest issue to me is the refusal to sell repair parts, or to even list them somewhere and allow someone to make them. Bottom line is Minelab has us by the gonads for repairs and it doesnt seem to be a great issue with them. The repair folks they have are darned good folks, they are NOT the issue, it is Minelab!

Letters and emails to the CEO of Minelab's parent company, the North American honcho, and others high up in the food chain asking respectfully for Minelab to either get another repair center or allow parts to be purchased, so other electronic geek types can get some business. I dont think price for the repairs is an issue, at least not to me, but the wait times are really bad because of volume of repairs.

dewcon4414 said:
Mascard...... they are getting to much sun buddy........go dunk them in the salt water. Now my question TH..... if allowed to continue will those screen go completely once they start with these streaks or spots? Im thinking ahead buddy since you know im hard on detectors. Whats the turn around time now for those OUT of warranty?

Dew

I was told sometimes they go away, sometimes they get worse and sometimes they don't grow beyond initial pixilation first see.Heat is the primary cause of it.