Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sudden Chatter on Equinox 800

Sundown08

Hi Everyone:

I am fairly new to metal detecting. My Equinox 800 is my first detector. I have had it out 3 times so far with good results so I am very excited about it but I have run into a bit of a problem. My first time out I detected a playground at the RV Park I live at for about an hour with good results. On Saturday (second time out) I was detecting a tent camping area in the RV Park that I live at. All was well for the first hour and half then all of sudden my Equinox started to chatter and jump all over the place. I tried noise canceling and ground balance but nothing helped. I turned the sensitivity down from 22 to 14 to eliminate the chatter but I am concerned turning it down that much will affect my ability to find targets. It got so bad that I just called it a day. On Sunday (third time out) I was detecting a park not far from where I live. Again at first everything was fine for the first hour and then all of sudden excessive chatter. Again I tried noise cancel and ground balance with no success. At the camping area there was no one around except a few kids. At the park there were lots of people fishing and picnicking. Both times this happened I was in Park 1 with sensitivity at 22. Also my phone was off and my pin pointer was off. I know that both of these can cause chatter. Anyone else run into this problem? If so how do you correct it? Could I have somehow pushed something to cause this? I am beginning to wonder if there is something wrong with my detector. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

sounds like you have EMI problems. I have a spot I hunt that some times drives my EQX nuts, and other times its quiet. You could have overhead power lines, underground power lines, cellphone tower nearby.... lots of things could be causing problems.

Hi Jason:

Thanks for the reply. Have you been able to work around the EMI issue when it does occur?

Thanks,

Steve

RV parks all the elec hook ups are underground..... even Bonnie camping u have a gen.

Sundown08 said:
Hi Jason:

Thanks for the reply. Have you been able to work around the EMI issue when it does occur?

Thanks,

Steve

Only option is to turn down the sensitivity until the falsing doesnt drive you mad. Or find a new spot.

Was it acting up with the coil off the ground or just down? High amount of trash and iron will be very noisy.

Hi Everyone:

Thank you so much for the replies and suggestions. I will for sure give them a try. I am also going to try manual noise cancel and running a single frequency if need be. Can anyone suggest the best single frequency for coins and jewelry? What confuses me is why was everything fine for a while then went crazy. Almost seems like a switch was flipped. I do realize that in the RV Park there are many things which could cause a problem. Don't really understand why it had a problem at the park. Just trying to find a work around. When things were working I was finding a lot of things. I am also going to try other sites as well. Again thank you all for the help!

Regards,

Steve

Hi:

Thanks for the suggestion. I did a factory reset. It did not correct the problem.

Thanks,

Steve

Are you running any Auto modes? Stay manual after a factory preset for a while. Manual noise cancel will be an interesting test. If you decide to run a single frequency, test 15khz.

Now, on the other hand. I have had events like this on certain places, schools for one, and determined that that there must have been a microwave dish on a roof top which began transmitting.

I wouldn't even ground balance until this goes away. I run multi frequency and don't do a GB at all. I tried it and saw no difference beside the GB numbers changing. Changes even happened in the same general location so running without GB just seemed logical. You will do a GB in single.

Keep it factory simple. Do you own you own home? How does it do operate there. I can run my 600 right underneath a transformer on a power pole. I'm also doing my noise cancel with the coil on the ground, not in the air. Maybe makes no difference.

15 should be better than the lower freq for EMI....... but in parks they have elec lights..... again underground.

Hi XL-1:

Thanks for the the detailed reply. I was running running a modified Park 1. The mods were per this Youtube Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ur0FfDDKUo.

Sensitivity-22 Recovery Speed -4 and Iron Bias-Off Nothing on Auto. I did a factory reset while at the park and tried park 1 and still had the problem. I am going to keep it real simple as you suggest. Run Park 1 with no GB. I have been doing noise cancel in the air. I am going to try noise cancel on the ground. If the problem comes back I will try the manual noise cancel. Plus check different detect modes such as Park 2 and field 1 and 2 to see if there is a change. If that does not help my last resort will be to go to single frequency of 15khz with GB. One last thing is we have a municipal airport about a mile and half away with a tower. This might also cause some weird things.

I no longer own a home. Down sized to 40 ft Fifth Wheel full time. Love it! We live in a really nice RV Park with lots of cool places to detect. I realize that the electrical runs under ground so I stay away from the power pedestals. Park also has WIFI at the Office and Laundry room so I try to stay away from there as well. Huge park next door with swim beach so many opportunities there as well. What is really frustrating is that before the chatter kicked in I was killing it! Finding coin after coin and a silver necklace at the camping area and was finding a lot of coins at the park. hoping to find a work around. I also have a 6" coil on the way which some have said is less susceptible to EMI. The camping area and park are pretty trashy so I am hoping the 6" coil will help pick though it.

Thanks again for all of the great suggestions.

Regards,

Steve

Unfortunately, the best single freq for coins is 5Khz which for me has also been the worst for EMI. Sometimes you can get a clear channel higher up, it really kind of depends on the exact EMI. Some times nothing helps, some time 15 is fine, or I might have to go to 40.

Sometimes you can help clear up the EMI in multi-freq by changing the recovery speed.

Make sure that your cellphone is either off or in airplane mode if you are using your detector. The detector will pick the cellphone pulses.

Try this outdoors: turn the Equinox on and get it ready for detecting. Now move your cellphone close enough to the detector and listen to the chatter.

Sundown08 said:
Hi Everyone:

I am fairly new to metal detecting. My Equinox 800 is my first detector. I have had it out 3 times so far with good results so I am very excited about it but I have run into a bit of a problem. My first time out I detected a playground at the RV Park I live at for about an hour with good results. On Saturday (second time out) I was detecting a tent camping area in the RV Park that I live at. All was well for the first hour and half then all of sudden my Equinox started to chatter and jump all over the place. I tried noise canceling and ground balance but nothing helped. I turned the sensitivity down from 22 to 14 to eliminate the chatter but I am concerned turning it down that much will affect my ability to find targets. It got so bad that I just called it a day. On Sunday (third time out) I was detecting a park not far from where I live. Again at first everything was fine for the first hour and then all of sudden excessive chatter. Again I tried noise cancel and ground balance with no success. At the camping area there was no one around except a few kids. At the park there were lots of people fishing and picnicking. Both times this happened I was in Park 1 with sensitivity at 22. Also my phone was off and my pin pointer was off. I know that both of these can cause chatter. Anyone else run into this problem? If so how do you correct it? Could I have somehow pushed something to cause this? I am beginning to wonder if there is something wrong with my detector. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

Silly question but did you charge it with a purpose bought 5V charger?

Des D:

I charged it using my iPad charger via the USB cable. I have charged it twice and both times it charged just fine. iPad Charger - 5.1 volts 2.1 amps.

Regards,

Steve

I had a problem like that a few months ago, lasted a couple days. Not sure if factory reset helped or there was some kind of temporary EMI but was back to normal after reset. This was in my yard, no other sites.